Cat Acne on Chin

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’ve noticed for a few days that my cat has gotten a hard black spot on his chin and appears to be spreading. He has been scratching it and there are sores. I ordered some cat antiseptic wipes to clean it with. He hates it and freaks out when I clean it and scratches more. Now he is bleeding under his chin so I’ve been just using a warm cotton ball to clean. Should I have a vet look at it or just keep treating it myself to see if it clears up? It’s not terrible but it worries me it could get worse. Thanks for any suggestions!!! ♥

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Are you sure it is acne? If so, you can try this: buy chamomile tea bags (local grocery store varieties which are almost always German, you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and then dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiples times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and it is also an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. And, it is safe should he ingest any of it. Do you know what might be causing the acne - plastic food/water bowls, as one example (should be replaced with stainless steel or ceramic dishes, and kept clean on a daily basis)? It could also be related to a food allergy, especially if you have recently changed any of his foods. To get rid of the acne entirely, you've got to find the cause and remove it.

If you aren't sure it is acne, then I would recommend a vet visit to see if they can determine what it is. Even if it turns out to be acne, they might be able to prescribe something to help heal it and put him on antibiotics if it turns out that it is infected.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’ve noticed for a few days that my cat has gotten a hard black spot on his chin and appears to be spreading. He has been scratching it and there are sores. I ordered some cat antiseptic wipes to clean it with. He hates it and freaks out when I clean it and scratches more. Now he is bleeding under his chin so I’ve been just using a warm cotton ball to clean. Should I have a vet look at it or just keep treating it myself to see if it clears up? It’s not terrible but it worries me it could get worse. Thanks for any suggestions!!! ♥
A Veterinarian in my opinion

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Got any pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!
1592160820087.jpeg