cat accidents

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kerry!

I am not sure if I have a problem or not.

I have a 2 1/2 year old tabby named Samuel. I also take care of my 86 year old mother. They both came a little over 2 years ago and my mother came first.

Several months ago, Samuel tripped my mother and she fell and broke her wrist. A month ago Samuel was sitting on my mother's lap and he leaped off and cut an artery in my mother's hand with his claw. Yesterday, my mom reached down to him and he snagged his tooth on her arm and tore open a one inch hole only in her top layer of skin, but it bled terribly.

None of these accidents have seemed aggressive and yet, I am not quite sure what is happening. My mother always uses subservient posture and Samuel wants to be her Alpha. I can clearly see that.

Do you have any suggestions or is it likely coincidence? My mother loves the cat.

Samuel treats me as an alpha. I have another cat who is his alpha above Samuel. There is a dog on the bottom of the pile.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you might want to put some soft claws on him... older people have such thin skin, it's really easy to tear it. the soft claws would help, at least with that particular problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! You are right. Her skin is tearing very easily and unfortunately it is always on Samuel.

I will look into the soft claws. I never thought about getting them since he doesn't actually claw anything. That is a good suggestion.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,
Well, it really sounds like a coincidence to me. Cats love to run and zig-zag under our feet when we are trying to walk somewhere within the home, I normally have my 17lbs Tabby Puna jump off my stomach sometime randomly in the night, and when cats get really into petting they tend to rub their cheeks and mouth along your hand during the petting session (they are covering you in their scent and marking you as part of their colony), Simon has scratched my arm and even chomped on my elbows when he getts really into it. Just as we have to be extra cautious with children, we must also be with elderly folks too. Your mom will need to be extra careful when walking around the house and place a pillow or towel on her lap when Samuel decides to switch into lapcat mode. You mother may also want to use a grooming glove when petting him, this will protect your mother's hands and will also be a nice treat for Samuel since the grooming glove has little rubber nubs on it to add to the grooming sensation for him. You can pick up a grooming glove at your local pet store. But, no worries, it sounds like your mom loves Samuel and Samuel loves your mom, Samuel just doesn't know how to be extra gentle, but the suggestions I provided should help bridge that gab. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

~Kerry

Originally Posted by Prosperity

Hi Kerry!

I am not sure if I have a problem or not.

I have a 2 1/2 year old tabby named Samuel. I also take care of my 86 year old mother. They both came a little over 2 years ago and my mother came first.

Several months ago, Samuel tripped my mother and she fell and broke her wrist. A month ago Samuel was sitting on my mother's lap and he leaped off and cut an artery in my mother's hand with his claw. Yesterday, my mom reached down to him and he snagged his tooth on her arm and tore open a one inch hole only in her top layer of skin, but it bled terribly.

None of these accidents have seemed aggressive and yet, I am not quite sure what is happening. My mother always uses subservient posture and Samuel wants to be her Alpha. I can clearly see that.

Do you have any suggestions or is it likely coincidence? My mother loves the cat.

Samuel treats me as an alpha. I have another cat who is his alpha above Samuel. There is a dog on the bottom of the pile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! The suggestions do indeed help. My mom has started putting a little blanket on her lap and I will look for the glove you mentioned the next time I go to the pet store.

Thank you.