Cat Abcess Coming Back After Being Treated???

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was taken two weeks ago because he had a large one under his neck two weeks ago that was causing him a lot of pain. It was drained, and I was given amoxcillin with clavulanate potassium for two weeks. It started to grow back again. It was left open and he kept scratching the area.

I took him to another vet today who gave him chlindamycin, and ketaprofin to use. She said it would be hard to drain now, because of it healing already. I was going to try to drain it at home, but realized it was a bad idea given its under his neck, and irratate him without sedation

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not try to drain anything yourself!

I would get a second opinion from another vet if the antibiotics don't work.  Has your cat been neutered yet?  Is he continually getting into fights?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try to put a warm compress on it to see if that helps ease the pain and soreness, but don't try to lance it yourself.

hanktara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Warm compresses may open it up. A friend's cat had to have an abcess surgically cleaned. There was a foreign body in it and it just wouldn't heal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last time, it didnt hurt him until after several days. Being under the neck, it was a major pain for him. I did actually try to open it up but I gave up after two pokes with a sterile needle. Didnt want to risk it getting worse. I would feel really bad if I made him suffer more.

What do people mean by soft compresses? Its still fairly hard

He is a male, has vaccines, just dewormed today, not neutered, but I plan on getting him done at a one of those spca clinics. This cat is a pushover, and now we limit how long he is out. He got bit once on the leg, and it became swollen and needed antibiotics, and then after 2 weeks, he got this. I had him at the ER on a holiday because of the pain he was in. Yesterday I noticed it and today it got a little bigger, so I headed into a walk in vet

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For soft compresses you could use a really warm damp towel.  You could also try a heating pad set on low.  I agree with not trying to lance this yourself because it would be very painful for your cat.  If the antibiotic is not clearing up the infection contact your vet and let them know.  You may need to try a different antibiotic or it may need to be lanced again by the vet.  It would be much less painful for the vet to lance it because there are things they can use to control the pain that you do not have access to at home.  Also if you try to lance it yourself there is no way to be sure the underlying infection that caused the problem is out of your cat's system.  You could also try asking your vet to culture the drainage if it has to be drained again to help figure out what antibiotic would be more affective to treat the infection.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep him in until he's neutered. He's getting picked in fights with other cats and they're getting infected, poor guy. Is that possible?

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He generally is a pushover cat and I feel bad for him. I have another fixed cat at home, and she likes to pick fights with him and half the time, he doesnt do anything

hanktara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband used a cloth wet with very warm water. He gently put the cloth on the abcess. The abcess opened on its own. Those things squirt some really foul smelling stuff, so stay out of the line of fire if you try warm compresses. I speak from experience.

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did that several times. It ended up opening again on its own when I saw blood stains on the sofa.I drained most of the area, and sprayed salt water on the area. The problem I dislike is these areas are more prone to infection, so I hope the new antibiotic stops it

Last edited:

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a few hours, I can tell a small pocket again is starting to form. He has plenty of liquid buildup.I put pressure on it again to drain the liquid

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your vet done a culture on the fluid from the abscess?  If it keeps coming back this may be something to ask about in order to find the right antibiotic to get rid of the infection completely.  Also keep using warm compresses because it will help with drainage and pain.  I hope you can get the infection under control with the new antibiotic.