cat 2nd times peed on my bf's bed

ebinkyh0010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I wonder what are your thoughts on this behavioral issue.

Let me begin by my kitten(almost 4 months old, male) had been checked by vet i think 2-3 weeks ago, and came back cleaned, heart rate normal, breathing normal, temperature normal, even the doctor complimented that i got a well-tempered kitten that just lets people touch, overall healthy. So he's not peeing on our bed due to any medical concerns, it's pure behavioral.

I am not sure why he does this but there could be a couple of possible reasons:

1. we don't let him sleep with us at night, and I would try to clap my hands and yelling 'NO' to get him off the bed whenever I see him, so maybe he's insecure about our bedroom and esp. our bed, that he want to pee there to make sure he marks the territory.
  2. recently I mixed the litter with corn litter(from the world's best cat litter? i forgot the name, green package i believe it's popular that everyone have seen it) and the arms & hammers' ones, so maybe the kitten didn't like the mixture, and decided to pee on the bed.
These are the only 2 possible reasons that I could think of. And the thing is that, I still can't let him be on our beds, so the problem cannot be solved by we start to letting him sleep with us and jump on our beds whenever he wants, but the litter, that I can change.

So I wonder if anything like this ever happened to you guys? how did you handled it?

I'm being honest, the first time when he peed, we were unpleasant, and my bf even slapped our kitten's butt twice, but then I called my bf to stop, and now this the second time I got really mad and had to hold the back of the kitten's neck and pressed his head onto the peed spot on our bed for like 5 minutes, and our kitten struggled like hell, also we have decided to not serve his lunch today(usually 3 meals a day for him), I'm not sure if this will make him understand that pee on our bed will follow negative consequences, and I'm not sure that if he will stop or continue his behavior until we neuter him next January.

Please provide me any thoughts, suggestions, I don't mind any comments, I just wanna get this problem fix.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens don't need a specific reason to pee in a bed. They do that sometimes. The bed is the #1 spot for accidents because they can knead the covers beneath their paws, its like burying waste outside to them. Keep the kitten out of the bedroom for a couple of weeks, or at least strip the bed every morning and put the bedding in the closet during the day. One poster recently suggested using a shower curtain to protect the bed. That seems like more trouble to me, but is a possibility. The main thing is to break the habit by denying the kitten the chance to pee on the bed for a couple of weeks.

Rubbing the kitten's nose in the pee will do nothing except make the kitten like you less. Withholding a meal will do nothing except make the kitten hungry. You can't use negative reinforcement for pee problems, it doesn't work at all. In the future, for different sorts of issues like scratching the couch, I recommend a loud enough to be somewhat startling "no!" That usually works, over time.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 4 months old he can be neutered, do NOT wait longer than 6 months old otherwise you can risk spraying.

I'm sorry but you can NOT do any type of physical punishment, especially with cats/kittens it just makes them stressed and increases their chance of doing it again. If you continue with that thought process and continue to do it, please just rehome the kitten to a good home. It's not right nor is it fair for that kitten to be punished for something that's usually fear based to begin with. Starving, smacking, and shoving their nose in urine is NOT going to help in any way shape or form.

Check out this website for a ton of blogs that might be able to help: Litter Box 101 | Answers, Why, When & How of Cat Behavior Issues by Pam Johnson-Bennett

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! As everybody above me suggested it's very common for kittens to do this.
However, please do not slap him, rub his nose in it, or skip meals. He is not going to associate skipping meals, for example, with peeing on the bed being bad. Like A ArtNJ suggested, try yelling "NO!" if you see him pee on the bed. Good luck!