Carters Arthritis And How The Weather Affects Him

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
17 year old Carter was recently diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and arthritis in his hips and back legs. The thyroid issue was quickly identified and the medication is working. He's improved massively. The arthritis is a bit more tricky. Initially he was prescribed Temgesic or Buprenorphine, a synthetic opioid for the pain. It's a sub lingual tablet that involves getting your cat to hold the tablet inside their cheek or under the tongue while it dissolves and is absorbed. With Carter this proved almost impossible but on the occasions when we were successful it was so strong that Carter spent hours zonked out after some time looking really freaked out and unhappy. We told the vet our concerns and he replaced it with Metacam and that worked very well.
The weather in London this week has gone from warm and humid to overcast with rain showers. We noticed that whenever rain was imminent or there was a huge change in the weather Carter would have moments of looking like he was in pain. He would either stay inside and lay down or walk about looking very stiff. When we tried to stroke him he would back away and not let us touch him. This is really out of character behaviour. When there's periods of consistent warm weather he goes back to normal. I'm sure that his arthritis is affected by these drastic changes in weather, temperature and pressure. Does anybody have any experience of this or has seen this before? I've had many relatives with arthritis and all of them were affected by the weather. Is this an old wives tale or real? I've read so many for and against articles about human arthritis and the relationship between the weather and pain and am none the wiser. I couldn't find much relating to cats. Surely cats have the potential to be affected in the same way as us with pain and environmental changes. Is there a clinical solution to this like extra medication or a change or would keeping him inside with a constant warm temperature help? Any help or ideas would be gratefully received. I'd like to know a bit more befor wi take him back to the vets. He finds it so traumatic that I want to be sure that they can help before I take him. Thanks

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I would be careful with metacam. It's hard on the kidneys. Try to space out the doses as long as possible unless it's the only thing that's keeping quality of life. The bupre comes as a liquid in an oral syringe. Yes some cats get zoned out from it. There is a black box warning on the medication about kidney failure. Try to keep the dose the smallest possible dose. You can look up dasquin which is glucosamine. That is given daily but takes 4 weeks to start helping-helps with growth of tissue. Another thing to look up= injections of Adequan=this is the same as the pills for glucosamine but instead it's injected subskin. It's been used for years in horses for injuries.
It's generally one shot every 4 days for the first 4 shots-then one time a week for a month,
then every other week for a month or two then given monthly. There has been many pets who have benefited from this.

Another thing to try is low dose prednisolone. my cat is on 2.5mg daily. I break the pill in half (comes 5mg) and stick it inside the gelcap with her glucosamine. I use a pill popper/buster and coat half the pill in butter-the end sticking out of pill popper- pred tastes NASTY so having empty gel caps makes it go so much easier.

Some cats like cheese and you can roll it inside a piece of slice cheese or a ball of butter around it-anything to mask the taste of pred.

As far as the weather and achy bones- No it's not an old wives tale. The barometric pressure can have a lot to do with aches. Cold rainy days just makes us ache more. I have arthritis and one of my cats does as well. The days where it's 40-50 degrees and rain-we both don't feel as well. I still make myself move around-the best thing you can do is encourage your cat to walk around=either have a wand toy and have him walk after it to catch it or a leash/collar outside and see if he walks around in the grass on the sunny days. The days I don't move at all I end up hurting even more. So the goal is stay in motion-it sounds crazy but I can attest to this.

Maybe your vet can show you how to do injections of Adeguan. It goes right under the skin-I put it in the loose skin at nap of neck or the side pocket of hip-it's a very small dose like .25cc or less. And much easier than pills. I prefer this method but my girl hates getting shots more than she hates getting pilled. My prior elderly kitty preferred the shots vs pills. It all depends on the cat. My angel Floey=there was NO way a pill was going in her mouth unless she wanted to eat that food etc. So the shots and sub fluids were what we did when she was elderly. The shots worked good for her. Maybe the vet can have the vet tech do the injections so you don't have to spend so much money on office visits if that's something you want to try.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats, like people, are definitely affected by weather. We all feel better on warm sunny days. Cold, damp, rainy weather makes both arthritic cats and people's joints feel achy. It is partly due to the low atmospheric pressure on those days.

I presently have an almost 16 year old cat who has arthritis in her hips (identified by X-rays).
Over the winter, she would often lay out over floor heating vents. Now that the weather is warmer, she does not seek heating vents out as often. She seeks a place in the sun.

You may want to ask your Vet about Cosequin. Glucosamine and chrondrotin are a major component of cats cartillage. As cats age, their ability to make them decreases. Cosequin is made up of Glucosamine, chrondrotin and manganese ascorbate, which supports health joints. It comes in a capsule which you just sprinkle on their food once per day for 4-6 weeks to build up a therapeutic dose, then back it off to every other day. It is non-flavored, but i think they have a chicken flavor powder now too. This does help. I had a cat (since passed) with bad arthritis and this product helped her mobility and comfort a lot in her senior years.

They make heated cat beds you can plug in for gentle warmth. Also they make "heat reflective" cat beds which contain a thermo- reflective layer that reflects the cat's own heat back to them and warms them without electricity.

Another thing is Omega-3 fatty acids, like Salmon oil which lubricates joints, relieves stiffness.
You can find these in cat supplies, or your Vet may have them as well. The Cosequin provided the most help with increased mobility and joint comfort.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Rainbow Bridge cat suffered with arthrosis (different from arthritis, but I think it can be cured with the same principle of acting against the pain) for a long time and found a huge relief with a simple medication with Alevica and Condrostress.
Condrostress® (+) - Supporto del metabolismo articolare in corso di osteoartrite
Alevica® - Supporta la corretta funzione nocicettiva
(the links have Italian words, but the pages are in English).
I had no positive results with other meds like Synoquin or Cosequin.
In a few weeks she found a new happiness in jumping and doing what she couldn't do before.
Since you are in Europe it shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for you replies. I've taken notes and am about to start a search and call the vet. Thanks for putting me in the right track and getting Carter on the mend. There's a rare moment of sunshine outside now and Carters basking in the lawn totally oblivious to the worldwide response to his health questions! As much as I don't want to have to coax him into the hated cat carrier and drive to the vets I think it's going to have to happen. I worry that the physical benefits of a vets visit are undone by the fear he experiences when we go. He hates it. It's usually a two person job with one driving and the other sitting in the back talking to him constantly. We will do the research tonight, book an appointment and go tomorrow. All the best folks and thanks from everybody here

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My Honeybee Loves being outside! She's outside all morning=comes in at noon-takes a 2 hour nap=then bam! Back outside! She often sleeps under my lilac bushes or other hidey hole areas. I have a ton of perennials that are just starting to come up and once those are grown and spread gives her and Pumpkin Face nice shady spots to lull away the afternoon!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you everybody who posted advice when I asked about Carters arthritis and the weather. I did some research and initially called my vet to get him some glucosamine. They wanted me to take him in and I wasn't happy about this because he finds the vet visit so traumatic. Also it would mean I had to pay for a consultation and the cost of the medication was extremely high. Twenty one tablets, so three weeks worth was £32 and the additional cost of the visit. I asked them for the name of the medication and was also told that it was an 'over the counter medication'. It seemed a bit too expensive for something that could be purchased without a vet visit. I searched online and found exactly the same medication available at Waitrose Pets website. It was identical. I ordered 180 capsules that cost £21. This is enough for an initial dose of 2 a day for up to four weeks (to build up the levels) then one a day for five months. I thoroughly researched this and found that Carter got what he needed without a vet visit and for a fraction of the cost. Thank you TCS members who took the time to answer my question and send me in the right direction. I am certain that it is making a difference as Carter has become more mobile, is jumping up and down in the garden and is able to go with Hugo on their daytime excursions to the gardens either side of us. It's really improved the quality of his life. If you are new to TCS and reading this please don't hesitate to ask questions on the forums as the advice I've been given, combined with vet consultations has really helped with Carters health issues. I was given information and options that I had no idea about. Further research meant that Carter didn't have to go to the vet, which he hates and I saved a bit of money that can go back into the emergency fund. Thank you folks for helping Carter really enjoy the first sunny days in May in London

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased you were able to get glucosamine at a reduced cost by checking around. It does take a few weeks until they build up to a "therapeutic dose", then you can cut back to maintenance which sustains them. I'm glad that it already appears to be making a difference in Carter's mobility. With warmer sunnier days ahead, he and Hugo will no doubt have a great time together on their garden excursions. My (indoor) cats are jealous. You must not have fleas, ticks, fox, or coyotes there.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the last few days I've become even more convinced about the amazing effect that Glucosamine has had in Carter. I have been giving him the contents of a capsule sprinkled on top of the thin pate like treat, Lickylix. I then mix it up and it totally dissapears. Sadly he will only take this medication with Lickylix. I had a bit of a disaster this week in that I could not get any Lickylix in any of the many supermarkets or shops near me. I looked everywhere! For three days Carter didn't have the glucosamine as he refuses to take it mixed in anything else. I had to resort to the desperate measure of ordering it on next day, AM delivery from Amazon! To make it worthwhile I got two months supply. In the days that he went without glucosamine I noticed a real difference in how stiff his back legs were and the difficulty he had in normal jumping and his mobility. Knowing that the precious Lickylix would arrive at 9am the next day I did the unthinkable and used my small food processor (that's more suited to chopping small ingredients like herbs or making pesto) to blend a sachet of cat food in the hope that it looked like Lickylix. I ended up with a smooth, pate like substance and put a dessert spoon into a small bowl and mixed in the glucosamine. Carter was initially suspicious but then wolfed it down! Carter and Hugo then had the rest as a starter before their dinner. Thankfully the real stuff arrived in the morning and after thoroughly cleaning the blender several times and running it through the dishwasher it survived the ordeal! Within two days Carters mobility was back to normal and any visible signs of discomfort dissapeared. It clearly works and makes a huge difference to him and those few days without it were further proof that it's helping him massively. Thank you again to the members who made me aware of Glucosamine and its benefits. I am eternally grateful to you! I can seriously recommend blending up wet food to serve as a pate like treat too! It's more for those desperate times when you can't get your cat to take medication or you run out of Lickylix! It took me ten times longer to clean my blender than it did for them to eat what I pulverised but seeing the pleasure they got from it was worth it. Thanks TCS!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What good news that Glucosamine is making a difference with Carter's mobility! I had to chuckle at your go with the blender to make up a Lickylix substitute. We cat lovers go to great extents to provide the best for our felines don't we! I would do the same thing in a heartbeat.

Fortunately my elderly cat who was on the Glucosamine took it readily in her normal food. It helped her live a very good quality of life till almost 20.

I have not heard of Lickylix; at least they don't have it here, but I would be willing to order some from Amazon. I have some cats on medications now I would like to put in food if possible. I see Lickylix comes in different flavors. What is Carter's favorite flavor?

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was quite amusing blending up cat food! I've found you the link to Amazon.com with Licky-lix available in the US. It's the chicken flavoured one and its $19.25 plus $8.99 postage. You get six packs with each pack containing five portions. Thirty in total. I'm not sure if you can get them cheaper as in the UK they are £0.80 for five sachets so £4.80 for thirty. Even with the $ to £ exchange rate nearly $29 is quite expensive. Have a look online. Carter was a big fan of the salmon variety but recently the chicken flavour has been changed and when you open one it really does have a strong roast chicken flavour. It's really convincing. I just found another way to get Carter to have his meds when I mixed it in with a teaspoon of room temperature, leftover Brussels pate! He loved it! They've been spoiled tonight as I had a pack of ready made tuna mayonnaise sandwich filler that goes out of date tomorrow. I don't know why I'm suprised that they like it! They also had a good taste of some houmous from Marks and Spencer so both now have a slight garlic tinge to their meaty and fishy breath! They've had an evening of eclectic fine dining! Here's the link for Amazon.com. Hope it helps but do have a shop around. I can guarantee that the Licky-Lix will go down well!
Amazon.com : Webbox Lick-e-Lix with Chicken Tasty Yogurty Treat 5 x 15g (PACK OF 6) : Pet Supplies

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as I know it only comes in Salmon and Chicken flavour but is amazing at hiding any medication. I sometimes manage to make one sachet stretch to two servings as half is enough to disguise the contents of one 150mg Glucosamine capsule. There's quite a lot of powder in each one and it readily dissolves in the Licky-lix. I use a small bag clip to seal the sachet and it's fine being stored in the fridge overnight. A good tip is to squeeze out the contents then roll the tube to get any remaining treat out as the tube still has quite a lot left inside. At least five seconds of lapping time!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What good news that Glucosamine is making a difference with Carter's mobility! I had to chuckle at your go with the blender to make up a Lickylix substitute. We cat lovers go to great extents to provide the best for our felines don't we! I would do the same thing in a heartbeat.

Fortunately my elderly cat who was on the Glucosamine took it readily in her normal food. It helped her live a very good quality of life till almost 20.

I have not heard of Lickylix; at least they don't have it here, but I would be willing to order some from Amazon. I have some cats on medications now I would like to put in food if possible. I see Lickylix comes in different flavors. What is Carter's favorite flavor?
Just had another look on Amazon.com and all the Licky-Lix is between $3.25-50 per box of five sachets with a postage charge of between $8.50-9.00.
I will find out what the postage and packing would cost to send you some from the UK to the US because here it's £0.80 per pack of five 10g sachets. £0.80 is currently $1.03 so six boxes would be $6.18 and its $19.25 with $8.99 shipping so $28.24 or £21.90 altogether. It's quite a lot! The next time I pass a post office I'll find out what the shipping cost will be. I have six packs at home so will weigh them and ask what a small parcel of that weight will cost to send to the US and if there are any restrictions in sending them. We tried to post a selection of cat treats to our friend in Perth Australia last year and it wasn't allowed due to their strict import regulations regarding food and particularly meat products. I think it's because of the supposed risk of foot and mouth disease in farm animals. There was an outbreak here in the UK in 2001 that resulted in a huge number of farm animal deaths and even more animals being destroyed. It was traced to illegally imported and infected pork from China that was used in an Orientak take away. The waste meat was then turned into animal feed and fed to herbivores! Genius. I'll send you a message when I find out about shipping so let me know how you get on with tracking Licky-Lix down in the USo

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for passing on this fantastic information about Licky-Lix. I was so eager that I ordered a box of chicken and a box of salmon flavor between your first and second message in which you so very kindly offered to send me a sample. That was so thoughtful of you. Yes, it is certainly not inexpensive, but worth every cent if it works. I'll be anxious for my cats to give it a try. The (chicken lover) of the group needs extra flavor boost to stimulate the taste buds. The other two love fishy food, so the salmon flavor should be welcome.

I know shipping and custom restrictions can be tricky. Several years ago, i sent a package of Alder smoked salmon from Alaska to a friend in the U.K. It cost plenty to ship, but it was more of a hassle on her end than on mine surprisingly...and after all that she preferred the Scottish Smoked salmon! Oh, well. I love the Scottish smoked salmon as well, but just thought she might like the unique flavor of Alder smoked salmon.

I remember the outbreak of foot and mouth disease in 2001 and seeing all the pictures of the destroyed cattle. Awful! I can understand the need for extra precautions after that.

Carter is a beautiful boy...such a plush coat too! Yes, he has some back claws alright. Does he allow you to trim them? Mine do not enjoy the front claws being trimmed, but surprisingly they don't even mind the back ones being trimmed. Strange.

Thanks again for all the wonderful tips about Licky-Lik. I'll let you know how they like it.
Only the best for our pampered felines!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carters fur is getting back to normal now his thyroids been regulated and the huge brushing sessions help. I use a clothes brush this only for cats to finish off his grooming and remove any loose hairs. It's a three brush job! Cat brush, flea comb then clothes brush! The sofa has become a professional cat grooming salon each evening from 8-11pm! He will let me trim his claws but because of all his health issues recently I'm trying to avoid doing anything that he might think is me trying to kill him! Since his spate of vet visits he views anything out of the ordinary as potentially traumatic. For example his pet carrier is made of whicker and he hates it but our waste bin in the bedroom is also made of whicker and is a similar size. When he saw me carrying it down stairs to empty it he looked at me with sheer terror in his eyes and hid in his garden lair for several hours! I was crawling around the garden with a bowl of Licky-lix and a torch begging him to come out. Much to the amusement of my neighbours three children who thought I was talking to a person hiding in the bushes! Oh the humiliation! He did come out though
I'm glad you git hold of the precious pate like treat! The chicken will appeal to your poultry connoisseur as its really chickeny and the salmon (while not overly fishy) should suit the aspiring pescetarians! Let me know if you have any difficulty in future getting it and I'll try to ship some over

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they had a feast but please be careful as I have read that garlic & onion can be poisonous to kitty cats.
Our girl used to eat Sheba pate but quit eating any wet at all, just licking the sauce & leaving the meat. We kept buying and wasting different brands and finally ran across the only wet she will eat, Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers. She licks off the gravy first but goes back and eats the meat later. To give her meds I first give her a treat, get her next to me and with elbow holding her close put one hand on the top of her head, grip, tip her head back and put the pill/liquid in her mouth. She's so good she never tries to bite., although she will spit it out if she can. Of course she gets another treat and lots of pets & praise after.