Carrageenan health benefit???

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was buying Wellness canned Turkey from chewy.com and noticed this description.....

Wellness Complete Health Turkey Formula Canned Cat Food, 12.5-oz, case of 12

People only get Thanksgiving once a year, but your kitty can have it every day! Wellness Turkey Formula Canned Cat Food nourishes your cat's body and soul to help him live a long, healthy life. Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids help him maintain a beautiful coat and healthy skin, and every can contains carrageenan to protect against kitty colds.

I was kind of shocked to see that statement about the ubiquitous carrageenan additive.   I always thought it was used as a food stabilizer for consistency - not as a preventative for respiratory ailments.

Has anyone ever heard of this and know if this is the real reason carrageenan is used in foods?   Is this marketing B.S. or what?

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Ondine. They use it to hold the pate together/thicken it. I'm sure they are aware of the controversy around carrageenan and figured they would throw something out there that points towards it being beneficial. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a bunch of slugs these pet food companies are. I might dump wellness at this point but it's hard to find something reasonable in a large 13 oz can.