Carla In My Lap

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am writing with Carla in my lap. I just joined the forums an hour ago, following the spaying and neutering of five of my best friends. It hurts my soul to intervene medically. Why doesn't the world just expand every time one of these beautiful fur babies is born? (Carla is one of the newly spayed. They put a green "tattoo" on her belly, but it looks more like a green object implanted in the skin!!)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :hithere: I've had times when I've had to try to type while my Ruby is lying all over the keyboard, so I can picture you writing with Carla in your lap. :catlove:
Carla sounds like a sweetie pie. :catrub: Can you post of pic of her? :camera:

Even though it might seem wrong to intervene medically, if you look in the Caring for Strays and Ferals forum you will see lots of posts from people who are looking after unwanted / stray and feral cats. So you absolutely did the right thing for Carla and her friends by having them spayed/neu'???????????????tered. BTW, I'm now typing with the keyboard on my lap, as Ruby has arrived. The "???????" in the middle of "neutered" is Ruby's contribution to the post. :lol:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We love pictures around here, so please do post some of your cats!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

I understand it might be hard at the time, but you’ve done the best thing for your cats by getting them fixed. While it may sound like a lovely thought for a cat to have kittens, there are just not enough homes for all of them. Medically, too, fixing cats has many benefits for a cat’s health. This article: Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats discusses the many benefits of desexing cats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Carla's very pretty. I love her colouring. Thanks for posting.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cats are lucky to have a loving caretaker,as you are lucky to be one of us whom truly value the love our pets give our lives.

But there just isn't enough of us to be able to give these little gifts the individual love each needs in this world,if they were to breed unabated. And there will always be those whom don't like(read as hate)them like we do. By trying to keep the population down to manageable levels,we are saving many from horrible abuse.I

You can't fix the world. You can only try to help your world. And we all thank you for doing so. Peace and love sent to you and yours,Martin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kreatorcat Kreatorcat , you write beautifully. it still hurts. Cookie was about 12-13 days pregnant the day of spaying. (I am pretty sure that Carla was not, but Cookie was and Adventure might have been.) I checked beforehand -- the zygotes were only a few millimeters in diameter and did not have nerves yet. (Cat embyos begin to develop nerves on day 18.) (Do nerves symbolize the beginning of life? I don't know.) She is exactly the cat I wanted to be pregnant and she was pregnant exactly from the one I wanted her to be pregnant from, and she cried so badly when she was little and I gave away her brothers and sisters, and I really wanted those kittens. And I really wanted her to have those kittens forever. I hope she will at least have them in heaven someday.

Marble-Cookie does not photograph well. She is a longhaired b&w with a round (not long, not short) face, and often shows up as just a b&w pom-pom in photographs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama and abyeb abyeb :
Yes, spaying and neutering do have positive health effects and tend to prolong a cat's life. But it also has some negative effects, such as pituitary hyperplasia (the pituitary gland loses its feedback loop with the gonads), a raised incidence of diabetes, and in boys, reduced muscle mass. More than anything, I really wanted to have those kittens from Marble-Cookie. I think what got me was the thought of spaying and neutering seven+ more kittens by the end of Summer, and saving all the chicken for them and not having enough for my other cats.

In people like in cats, there are hundreds of thousands of children in want of homes, but people still have their own babies. I wanted my cat-family to have its own babies (just once), because Cookie was so sad when i had given away her siblings, and when her one remaining brother was eaten by a rottweiler. I am not crying any more as of today, but my heart is shredded from this.