Caring for mistreated kitty/Introducing outdoor cat with indoor cats.

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ondine is probably correct and the unfeeling and ignorant neighbors and sorry excuse for human beings may indeed get another animal and begin mistreating it if you rehome this poor little cat---however, that is purely conjecture at this point and this little cat needs and deserves to be rescued from these people now.  I would do what your sweet hubbie suggested and take the cat to your vet, have her spayed, immunized, dewormed and checked over and if she is healthy and you believe you can open your hearts and home to her I would take her in immediately.  She should then become an indoor-only cat of yours and then how would your horrible neighbors ever know that you have another cat that just happened to look like the one they used to have?  You say she is a sweet little cat--it's been my experience that when you rescue a mistreated or stray cat that had been abandoned and hungry they are very grateful and without exception were very happy to be in a safe and loving home with food, water, love and away from the former stress.  My strays that I took in who always became indoor-only cats had no difficulty adjusting to being inside or in acclimating to my resident cats.  I would recommend a slow introduction to your resident cats and it may be a non-issue that you feel your space is limited in terms of providing separate space for this little cat for other than a short period of time.  My little girl who is now an indoor cat but was either semi-feral or feral and had never been socialized to other cats at the critical time of development as a kitten with a mother cat and litter mates is still extremely fearful of my resident cats even after a year of attempting a slow introduction---but that is not the case with your little cat you are thinking of rescuing.  If you read my thread under the caring for feral and stray cats forum  you can read what my experience has been with my little feral girl and the approaches I am instituting to restore peace and harmony among my cat family of three.    But my little Nikita is the first cat that I have taken in either from the animal shelter, my vet's office or from the cat adopting me by crying for food on my deck that didn't adjust beautifully in a very short period of time.  I don't think you will have any trouble at all with her adjusting to living at your house---she will be so relieved to be safe and cared for.   Cats adopt us, they choose us and where they want to live, not the other way around..

If you want to make sure your neighbors can't cause trouble for you, contact either your local animal protection society, rescue group or county officials to see if you have the right to rescue an abused animal without the consent of the owner.  I think you will find they will give you their blessing and thanks for helping the little animal.  She should become an indoors-only cat and don't let the neighbors know you have her--they will think she ran off or was hit by a car, truck or killed by a dog.  Do let us know what you decide to do and good luck---I think you will feel very good about yourself and will be able to sleep better at night knowing you helped a little animal who really needed help and you didn't ignore her plight.

I live in North Carolina and we have rescue groups who go in and "rescue" animals from cruel owners without the owners knowing or giving consent.  They then rehome the rescued animal and I haven't heard of any of the group members getting into trouble over the rescues. 

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you totally and if you do decide to contact someone about your plans do so anonymously.  I have replied to you in more detail below.  

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I needed to specify who I was agreeing with (I thought the reply would be immediately under the post I agreed with).  I agree with MsAimee and Historian and the others participating in the forum.  Rescue the cat, make her yours and don't tell the neighbors.  You can report cruelty to animal control; I did several years ago and an officer came out and talked with the abusive owner and examined the animal but that was all since there were not any marks on the animal and I didn't have a picture or video of the person abusing the animal.  The important thing is to help the little cat---it doesn't sound as if you have a relationship or friendship with these neighbors anyway.  They will never know.

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Twinkles21--not only is it ethical to rescue an animal being abused but a responsibility for each of us if we are aware of the situation and can do something about it.   This little cat is not their pet but an animal they are abusing and neglecting.  It is ethical and moral and is a rescue not stealing.

caralian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dude - just take the cat. The moment they started abusing her they forfeited all rights to her in my book. Underhanded my bum. Your neighbors are underhanded scumbags and I hope someone backs over all of them with a semi-truck - their disgusting worthless spawn and all.

The planet does not need more human trash. Forgive my harshness but I do NOT tolerate animal abuse and that automatically gets people thrown into the "you don't deserve to breathe" category.
I agree with this a full 100%. They don't want her? Good, let's make it official.

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amen--you now have a consensus of the responders in the forum and our "permission" to do what your heart tells you to do!  Best of luck to you and the little cat.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is a character! Love that face! She looks like my Wally's size (he was born in late May) but she is oh sooo skinny. Poor baby.
I think we should line up and drop punt your neighbors in the hiney. (I can dream).

I do not understand ppl taking a pet of any kind and abusing it. What is the point of having the pet?

(Says the crazy (4 cats) cat lady with the dog who thinks he is a cat!

catcouple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 pets that came to us from similar neighbors. They are awful human beings and I have no qualms about giving their starving, unhealth animals a good home.

One very cool cat shelter in another town even let us call one of them a feral cat and we adopted him same day. A dear friend of mine in the animal safety movement vouched for us so the shelter knew we were genuine.

The 3rd cat just came to us and is in a separate room for a couple of months while he receives treatment and antibiotics. At first we found a home for him across town, but he got out the second night there and in 4 days he came back to my door. He gets to stay with us forever after walking 2.5 miles home.

He was in bad shape and I posted a forum question about having a black testicle. The vet said he had been abused and his testicle was damaged by twisting and had been dead for a while. All three animals had health problems, but nothing that time and care wouldn't heal. I have no qualms about re-homing these animals. The people next door forfeited all rights when they neglected and harmed animals, and. I will take every one of their animals that comes to me for shelter, food, love and a good home. 

Martin Luther King, Jr. once said that you not standing up for people and animals when you should does more damage to your soul than anything people can do to you, and he was right. 

caralian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally agree. It pisses me off to no end, people can be so cruel and heartless. I don't even understand why you would take a cat to begin with, if you don't plan on actually taking care of it and loving it.

It really warms my heart and gives me back a bit of faith in humanity to see so many kind and loving people on here. 

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Proud of you, CatCouple--your three rescues are truly blessed and that little one that walked 2.5 miles back to you knew where his forever home was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twinkles21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for being absent for a bit. I do have an update, and I've been seeing all your replies. I've just been sick. (gallbladder attack and flu 
)

Not once have I heard them calling for her, not once did I see one of them outside looking for their kitty. Which is fine, she didn't want outside anyway, she was perfectly happy inside with DH and I.  However we had a terrible realization. she is extremely aggressive with other animals. We were moving her to the bathroom temporarily while I cleaned up her space in the bedroom and she saw one of my other kitties and she freaked, it was all I could do to keep a hold of her. So DH and I talked and decided to re-home her. We could have given her to bylaw to foster out, our 'grace period' wasn't up yet, but I have a friend in the city who just had to put down her elderly kitty. (illness of some sort?) Well she agreed to come over and meet kitty. I figured she was the best fit, since she's a "one-kitty" type of person. 

It was so cute, but kind of made me sad that I couldn't keep her. Friend walked in to my bedroom and I closed the door behind her and i hear her through the door, "Oh hi kitty, Do you want to....oh...wow, you just want love don't you...." (cue kitty purring through the door) lol insta-love I think.

Anyway, she took her that day and she texted me later that she named her 'Gwen'. Breaks my heart though that our home wasn't the best one for her, but at least I was able to fine one for her that was. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I think this was the perfect solution for everyone.  Your friend and Gwen have found one another, Gwen has been rescued from a horrible situation and you have room to rescue another kitty, if needed.  How perfect is that?

Thank you so much for all you've done and for keeping us updated!

Last edited:

mona kloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, let me apologize for not writing in ages, but I have to be on the Christmas card exchange this year - I just LOVE sending cards, but I've not had enough postings and I have to work on this hard now.

About the mistreated kitty - if I could get away with it, seriously, I would take her with no regrets!     How much can the other so-called owner actually care?

And if nothing else, I would get her fixed, then let her choose where she wanted to live.    Obviously it is for her own good and the good of kittens everywhere.

So, since much has probably already been said about this, I won't go on and on, but I always choose in favor of the cat when someone else is not taking the responsibility.

I just realized I have a slightly, but related topic to talk about so I'll go on to a different question.

Thanks for reading!

Mona

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww such a happy ending for that kitten!

I'm so happy she find a good home!

caralian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry for being absent for a bit. I do have an update, and I've been seeing all your replies. I've just been sick. (gallbladder attack and flu 
)

Not once have I heard them calling for her, not once did I see one of them outside looking for their kitty. Which is fine, she didn't want outside anyway, she was perfectly happy inside with DH and I.  However we had a terrible realization. she is extremely aggressive with other animals. We were moving her to the bathroom temporarily while I cleaned up her space in the bedroom and she saw one of my other kitties and she freaked, it was all I could do to keep a hold of her. So DH and I talked and decided to re-home her. We could have given her to bylaw to foster out, our 'grace period' wasn't up yet, but I have a friend in the city who just had to put down her elderly kitty. (illness of some sort?) Well she agreed to come over and meet kitty. I figured she was the best fit, since she's a "one-kitty" type of person. 

It was so cute, but kind of made me sad that I couldn't keep her. Friend walked in to my bedroom and I closed the door behind her and i hear her through the door, "Oh hi kitty, Do you want to....oh...wow, you just want love don't you...." (cue kitty purring through the door) lol insta-love I think.

Anyway, she took her that day and she texted me later that she named her 'Gwen'. Breaks my heart though that our home wasn't the best one for her, but at least I was able to fine one for her that was. 
But you already gave her the best thing you could ever give her. You saved her and brought her love. I'm sure you can still go see her every now and then. This was a great journey, for all of us. We were all rooting for you and Gwen.
 Giving her a safe and loving house is not quite the same as giving her up, you did not give up on her. Those poor excuses for human beings next door, they gave up on her. 

I'm so glad this had a happy ending. I am really sitting here smiling. You should be proud of yourself. So many people wouldn't have bothered and poor Gwen would have still been suffering if you hadn't interfered.

You are a hero. 

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

)

You. are. awesome. I cannot express how happy I am that you did what was best for her, your current kitties, and everyone all around. Many would not have had that same strength of character. 

Last edited: