Caring for an Orange Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!
I put on Music For Cats and he’s already a lot quieter.
Home | Music for Cats | David Teie
This stuff is magic. He has settled down once more. I knew Krista adored this music. She would sleep against the sound bar that played it all day. 😻 But to have this guy settle down so easily with this music, that’s a blessing. 👍😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* and fingers crossed and all the best thoughts for him!!! Can't wait to hear the next chapter in the saga!
I’m going to miss this guy! 😿 But I’m so relieved he’ll be off the “streets” (this community is a pretty good one to be a homeless cat in) and hopeful that his next home will be a furever home. 😻 As much as I’m going to miss this guy, I don’t want to see him coming around in a few months.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Successful handoff! Thanks again, Blue950 Blue950 ! This has been a real rollercoaster worrying about and caring for this guy through the grief and maladjustment to the passing of my Krista. I'm so thrilled and overjoyed that he's off the "streets" and on his way to a foster and hopefully furever home. Such a sweet guy! He totally deserves it. May he never know the outdoor life again. 😻 🤞

Please feel free to post updates here when you have any.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Successful handoff! Thanks again, Blue950 Blue950 ! This has been a real rollercoaster worrying about and caring for this guy through the grief and maladjustment to the passing of my Krista. I'm so thrilled and overjoyed that he's off the "streets" and on his way to a foster and hopefully furever home. Such a sweet guy! He totally deserves it. May he never know the outdoor life again. 😻 🤞

Please feel free to post updates here when you have any.
I'll miss him, too, and I'm sure we're not alone in that. But absolutely agree 100% with your thoughts and wishes! and so glad it all went so smoothly! :yess: :clap::goldstar:

Blue950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here he is while we were waiting to meet up with the cat rescue person. :)
What an absolute sweetie. I was petting while we waited, and he was rubbing up against me.
The lady from the cat rescue organization seemed great! She said the orange kitties get adopted very quickly and he had a great personality. She planned to give him a bath and his vaccines todays. I warned her about his marking problems but she wasn’t too worried since he wasn’t fixed yet.
She said she would text me updates and let me know his status! I’ll share them as I get them. :)
Thank you, daftcat75 daftcat75 , for taking such great care of him! He looked healthy and bright-eyed, so it’s clear the humans he had interacted him have been good to him!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here he is while we were waiting to meet up with the cat rescue person. :)
What an absolute sweetie. I was petting while we waited, and he was rubbing up against me.
The lady from the cat rescue organization seemed great! She said the orange kitties get adopted very quickly and he had a great personality. She planned to give him a bath and his vaccines todays. I warned her about his marking problems but she wasn’t too worried since he wasn’t fixed yet.
She said she would text me updates and let me know his status! I’ll share them as I get them. :)
Thank you, daftcat75 daftcat75 , for taking such great care of him! He looked healthy and bright-eyed, so it’s clear the humans he had interacted him have been good to him!
He really is a fine-looking, sweet, affectionate Lion Kinglet! And yes, neutering should help, given time for his hormones to calm down. He's young and looks very healthy, and just aching for someone to be his permanent person. We will stay tuned for updates!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update, but not a happy ending. 😿

I posted to Pawboost, purchased a Facebook ad (through Pawboost), and paid a little extra to make him a Featured Pet on Pawboost. Then I posted to Nextdoor. His "owner" saw the Nextdoor and contacted me. It does not sound like an ideal fit. Myself and the rescue pleaded our best case for rehoming. But she insists she wants "her" cat back and there's little we or the rescue can do about that. The "owner" is a neighbor who says she "rescued" him from the streets (our community) last summer, neutered and chipped him. She also insists that he won't be contained inside. I don't want to get into a neighbor feud. So I guess I will be seeing him around again. I asked his "owner" to put a collar on him but we'll see how far that goes. She was not particularly pleasant or compassionate in our interactions.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, wouldn't it be obvious if he was neutered? Did the shelter scan his microchip to make sure? Orange cats look pretty similar. . .

I hope for the best, but if he's been scrounging food off everybody else for so long it doesn't sound too promising :/.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, wouldn't it be obvious if he was neutered? Did the shelter scan his microchip to make sure? Orange cats look pretty similar. . .
I thought it would be obvious too. He's got what looks to be pretty prominent furry testicles. But I guess the sack is empty. I wasn't feeling him up to establish that. I guess there was contact information associated with his chip after all. Because she got a ping that his chip was scanned and was able to prove her "ownership" of this cat. She even provided a picture of him in her house. Though I could do that too. The rescue has a protocol to resolve ownership. Despite our best hopes and wishes for rehoming, she was able to establish "ownership" and there's little we can do to prevent his return.

Last edited:

Blue950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I concur the “owner” does NOT seem the best fit, based on communication from her. I would put it less eloquently and more bluntly than daftcat75 daftcat75 tho haha :soapbox::angrywoman:

We do know that he is spayed, rabies and fvrcp vaccinated, and dewormed. Hope she treats him well and keeps him inside more. ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I wish there was a law requiring people to keep their cats indoors and to fit them with safety collars and ID tags. These measures would greatly help.
And I agree with W Willowy 100% and Blue950 Blue950 also. Looking at the bright side the latter wrote about, I guess we would do well to focus on those caring actions and hope (and in my case anyway, pray) that she will keep him indoors.
Just FYI for anyone interested, Elvis is definitely neutered but looks, uh, well-endowed back there as well. He does not spray but he is quite territorial and prey-driven. He loves to chase Baby Su and when he locks eyes on her, all systems are "go". Additionally, he tried many, many times to mate Tarifa who was older than he and spayed. She had no interest in his advances. But that did not stop him from trying.
IMG_1784 (1).JPG

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the rescue gave her a stern talking to. Maybe the whole experience gave her pause/paws. Maybe he is reconsidering the outdoor life because it’s been cold and wet. But I haven’t seen him since we dropped him off. That’s how we want it, right? But I do miss that sweet guy. I hope his owner can keep him inside for the next few cold and wet months. I’d be okay if he wants to come around for visits in warmer and dryer days though. 😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the rescue gave her a stern talking to. Maybe the whole experience gave her pause/paws. Maybe he is reconsidering the outdoor life because it’s been cold and wet. But I haven’t seen him since we dropped him off. That’s how we want it, right? But I do miss that sweet guy. I hope his owner can keep him inside for the next few cold and wet months. I’d be okay if he wants to come around for visits in warmer and dryer days though. 😻
Yeah. I advocate for indoors-only for cats, for safety and health reasons; but OC obviously knows how to get around his territory and it seems that he is well liked and accepted there. I'm imagining (and hoping for) him curled up on a warm bed or in a warm cat cup right now. I miss him, too, but if he's getting the love and care he needs and deserves, I have to put him before me.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t really have an update on this guy. I guess no news is good news. Because that means the neighbor is doing a good job of keeping him inside.

I did get a treat on my camera this morning. 😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t really have an update on this guy. I guess no news is good news. Because that means the neighbor is doing a good job of keeping him inside.

I did get a treat on my camera this morning. 😹
That's really nice -- those guys, I don't mind seeing outside!🐿

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really nice -- those guys, I don't mind seeing outside!🐿
We have a decent squirrel population in this community. I bet OC misses chasing those guys around.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a decent squirrel population in this community. I bet OC misses chasing those guys around.
We do too! I love seeing them running across the power lines cussing out anyone they see and switching their tails. Sometimes they come into our yard, which is entirely safe for them, and look around for whatever it is that interests them.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do too! I love seeing them running across the power lines cussing out anyone they see and switching their tails. Sometimes they come into our yard, which is entirely safe for them, and look around for whatever it is that interests them.
I should set up a Chewy autoship of bird feed so I can keep my bird feeder stocked. When I set it up for Krista, I didn't realize how popular it would also be for the squirrels. When I installed the bird channel, the squirrel channel was bundled for free. 😹 Sometime later this year (when the Kickstarter makes good and delivers), I should get a solar-powered wifi camera bird feeder that will take pictures of my feathered visitors. 😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should set up a Chewy autoship of bird feed so I can keep my bird feeder stocked. When I set it up for Krista, I didn't realize how popular it would also be for the squirrels. When I installed the bird channel, the squirrel channel was bundled for free. 😹 Sometime later this year (when the Kickstarter makes good and delivers), I should get a solar-powered wifi camera bird feeder that will take pictures of my feathered visitors. 😻
ROFLMOTO! Yeah, you can buy squirrel-proof bird feeders -- when I had bird feeders set up, I had one of these, one for squirrels, and one for hummingbirds.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ROFLMOTO! Yeah, you can buy squirrel-proof bird feeders -- when I had bird feeders set up, I had one of these, one for squirrels, and one for hummingbirds.
I don't think the squirrels are coming up to the feeder which is hanging from a beam. I think they are feeding on the spillover on the ground.