Caring for an Orange Cat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW/ Look at him curled up there! I wonder if he's discovered the self-heating pad yet?
I'm the opposite of you noise-wise. Machinery noises don't bother me except for when someone leaves their engine idling -- something about the decibel level or the vibrations has always bothered me. Mostly, though, it's avoidable people noise like loud talking and music that I can't handle. I want to choose my own music and I don't talk on the phone outside here -- I try to keep the talking outside to a minimum because I think if it bugs me, it might bug someone else. I think it has to do with just needing my own space and on some level, thinking others are intruding on it. Even my roomies bug me if they talk loud when I go to bed, so I've had to tell them about that. I sent them an article on Asperger's so they could translate and think about it, but IDK if they really understand it or not. I've also explained that I'm just really sensitive in terms of all of the senses. That may have to do with my ethnic background (Indigenous)? IDK.
Cats, I believe, are sweet by nature and will be sweet when they are well cared for by someone who loves them. Also, most cats in shelters are desperate to get out of them, so they do anything and everything they think will get them adopted.
Insomnia! On a good night, I get up twice. I'm leaving my system on all the time now because I'm not sure I could boot it up again; so I'm focused on that all the time and it's been impossible (last night was the first night) to take my brain out of the lineup, so to speak, and relax. It's so squirrelly I don't even want to risk putting it in sleep mode since I tried that once and it didn't take the command.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW/ Look at him curled up there! I wonder if he's discovered the self-heating pad yet?
I'm the opposite of you noise-wise. Machinery noises don't bother me except for when someone leaves their engine idling -- something about the decibel level or the vibrations has always bothered me. Mostly, though, it's avoidable people noise like loud talking and music that I can't handle. I want to choose my own music and I don't talk on the phone outside here -- I try to keep the talking outside to a minimum because I think if it bugs me, it might bug someone else. I think it has to do with just needing my own space and on some level, thinking others are intruding on it. Even my roomies bug me if they talk loud when I go to bed, so I've had to tell them about that. I sent them an article on Asperger's so they could translate and think about it, but IDK if they really understand it or not. I've also explained that I'm just really sensitive in terms of all of the senses. That may have to do with my ethnic background (Indigenous)? IDK.
Cats, I believe, are sweet by nature and will be sweet when they are well cared for by someone who loves them. Also, most cats in shelters are desperate to get out of them, so they do anything and everything they think will get them adopted.
Insomnia! On a good night, I get up twice. I'm leaving my system on all the time now because I'm not sure I could boot it up again; so I'm focused on that all the time and it's been impossible (last night was the first night) to take my brain out of the lineup, so to speak, and relax. It's so squirrelly I don't even want to risk putting it in sleep mode since I tried that once and it didn't take the command.
I don't see evidence that he's found the self-heated pad. But he may just figure it out tonight or tomorrow morning. Rain is coming this afternoon. I'm not sure if he thinks it's too cramped under the chair for me to stick the feeder there or if he was really just too much wanting to follow me inside to be bothered with the food under the chair. I compromised and stuck it half way under the chair. For lunch, I have these rice bowls--four of them--that I can turn over and place under the chair legs to give him an extra couple of inches of clearance. More than keeping him dry, I want to keep the food dry too. Let's not create bacteria soup.

I'm good with voices unless they are talking too loud for the environment. I can tune voices and music out. That came in handy when I would work for a couple hours each afternoon at the tap room. It was a weird phenomenon that, although the tap room was past my home, it was easier and quicker to drive surface streets to the tap room than home when I would leave at the beginning of afternoon rush. It took about 30 minutes to get to the tap room or an hour to get home. As a compromise for leaving early, I would put in another couple hours at the tap room before I had to go home for Krista's food and medicine schedule. Whenever I could, I rather enjoyed working from the bar than some table off in the corner. Often times, I would be coding away and hear a snippet of conversation next to me and join in. But also, I got to meet a lot of the dogs sitting at the bar as their owners had to come up to order. I didn't much care for other people crowding me and ordering over me. But the dogs were like the next best thing to being able to bring my cat with me. I am honestly dreading the day when we can safely return to drinking inside. Because all the regulars will be asking about Krista and it will be like a hundred little knives having to go through that conversation over and over. I honestly hate condolences now. Rather than comfort me, they keep anchoring me to a point in time that I'd rather not return to.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see evidence that he's found the self-heated pad. But he may just figure it out tonight or tomorrow morning. Rain is coming this afternoon. I'm not sure if he thinks it's too cramped under the chair for me to stick the feeder there or if he was really just too much wanting to follow me inside to be bothered with the food under the chair. I compromised and stuck it half way under the chair. For lunch, I have these rice bowls--four of them--that I can turn over and place under the chair legs to give him an extra couple of inches of clearance. More than keeping him dry, I want to keep the food dry too. Let's not create bacteria soup.

I'm good with voices unless they are talking too loud for the environment. I can tune voices and music out. That came in handy when I would work for a couple hours each afternoon at the tap room. It was a weird phenomenon that, although the tap room was past my home, it was easier and quicker to drive surface streets to the tap room than home when I would leave at the beginning of afternoon rush. It took about 30 minutes to get to the tap room or an hour to get home. As a compromise for leaving early, I would put in another couple hours at the tap room before I had to go home for Krista's food and medicine schedule. Whenever I could, I rather enjoyed working from the bar than some table off in the corner. Often times, I would be coding away and hear a snippet of conversation next to me and join in. But also, I got to meet a lot of the dogs sitting at the bar as their owners had to come up to order. I didn't much care for other people crowding me and ordering over me. But the dogs were like the next best thing to being able to bring my cat with me. I am honestly dreading the day when we can safely return to drinking inside. Because all the regulars will be asking about Krista and it will be like a hundred little knives having to go through that conversation over and over. I honestly hate condolences now. Rather than comfort me, they keep anchoring me to a point in time that I'd rather not return to.
I don't mind those noises if I'm awake and working -- only if I'm relaxing at night and/or trying (so hard) to get some sleep. When I'm working, WWIII could be going on and I might not even notice. Machine noise is kind of like white noise for me, once I get in sync with it. Even jackhammers! And we've had quite a few of those around here in the time we've been here. Sometimes it's hard to remember it's a residential area -- sounds more like a construction site. Then there's Ferrari Boy down the street whose car sounds like -- a Ferrari. :mad2: Fortunately he seems to keep pretty normal hours so I don't get jolted out of finally-I'm-asleep! by his beast at early-thirty.
I have the opposite -- it seems people just forget about others' losses, don't care, or ??? I'd like more empathy but that's not how it is.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind those noises if I'm awake and working -- only if I'm relaxing at night and/or trying (so hard) to get some sleep. When I'm working, WWIII could be going on and I might not even notice. Machine noise is kind of like white noise for me, once I get in sync with it. Even jackhammers! And we've had quite a few of those around here in the time we've been here. Sometimes it's hard to remember it's a residential area -- sounds more like a construction site. Then there's Ferrari Boy down the street whose car sounds like -- a Ferrari. :mad2: Fortunately he seems to keep pretty normal hours so I don't get jolted out of finally-I'm-asleep! by his beast at early-thirty.
I have the opposite -- it seems people just forget about others' losses, don't care, or ??? I'd like more empathy but that's not how it is.
I plan to show one of the many Remembering videos I have made of her when this comes up. The condolences don't provide me any comfort. But remembering her, especially the goofy and endearing times, those can dull the sting sometimes. Shoot! It's dusty in here. 😿

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad I haven't seen him since just before I set this up. I saw him on the camera come by around noon and he was unimpressed with the remainder left in the dish and walked off. Knowing the rain is expected this afternoon, I set this up and plated a fresh can for lunch. I have been watching the camera all afternoon on the iPad and he hasn't shown yet. Clearly he found some other lunch. 🤦‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad I haven't seen him since just before I set this up. I saw him on the camera come by around noon and he was unimpressed with the remainder left in the dish and walked off. Knowing the rain is expected this afternoon, I set this up and plated a fresh can for lunch. I have been watching the camera all afternoon on the iPad and he hasn't shown yet. Clearly he found some other lunch. 🤦‍♂️
...but knowing his, uh, healthy appetite, when he does cruise around he will see and undoubtedly eat what you have so thoughtfully provided! :welcomeback2::caticon:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No sign of him since that unimpressed noon visit. I replaced his lunch with a fresh dinner in the non-stainless steel dish so it won't get cold quite so fast. But that's it. I'm not going back out tonight. And soon there won't be enough daylight to monitor the camera. The night vision doesn't work with this camera placement because it reflects off the glass. 🤦‍♂️

Certainly not the first time he's skipped a meal that I plated. But I was hoping to see how he liked the new pavilion.

Good luck, Buddy! Hope to see you in the morning.

Blue950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww! Hope he comes back tomorrow.
Just an update that I’m still working on coordinating with local rescues but making some progress :) Will let you guys know when there is a concrete plan :)

Blue950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok rescue organization all set up! He’s going to be assessed for medical intake (clean,deflea, dewormer, weigh him, vaccinate, and get a surgery appointment.) And then this rescue will find a foster home for him. They said they’re thorough with vetting adopters so hoping he finds an amazing family!

If daftcat75 daftcat75 can get him inside tonight, they are worried about the cold and ready to receive him for medical intake tonight! Otherwise, tomorrow.

How old are we thinking he is? 🤔

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok rescue organization all set up! He’s going to be assessed for medical intake (clean,deflea, dewormer, weigh him, vaccinate, and get a surgery appointment.) And then this rescue will find a foster home for him. They said they’re thorough with vetting adopters so hoping he finds an amazing family!

If daftcat75 daftcat75 can get him inside tonight, they are worried about the cold and ready to receive him for medical intake tonight! Otherwise, tomorrow.

How old are we thinking he is? 🤔
That all sounds awesome. Unfortunately it’s a large apartment community (and he’s been known to go to the community next door too.) He’s not on my patio tonight. I’m not going to find him until he comes around again. Probably for breakfast. In the meantime, there are a number of neighbors who leave their laundry closets open. He is likely sheltering in one of those tonight. I have setup the playpen for him when I can get him inside next. Hopefully at breakfast. 🤞 And I can transfer him to a carrier before pickup.
76C5A034-5C40-4E91-BDE5-DBEC0A4FA0C2.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! Any idea how old he is?
He is likely between one and two years old. It seems like he had a little more kitten growth in him between when I met him in the summer and when he started coming around again late last year.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In other news, he came by (sometime between 6 and 8) and ate the dinner I left him. So I know he’s sheltering with a full stomach. 😋 And he approves of the pavilion. 👍😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got him. I had to walk around for him. But I caught up with him. Or rather he caught up with me. I got him in the pen no problem with his breakfast. But now he’s singing the song of captivity. 😿
DE10A603-241A-4023-9EED-B9D6460CD375.jpeg
I told him help and a better indoor life is on the way. But he’s inconsolable right now. 😿 well. Not entirely. If I stick my hand in there, he’ll quiet down for pets. But I have other things to do today besides watching this guy like a hawk. The pen is easier.

Blue950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay!!!!! I have a meeting until 9, and afterwards I can pick him up and bring him to the rescue! Please shoot me a text at the number I direct-messaged you so we can confirm pickup time!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Texted you. If you can, can you reply so I know I have the right number. If you didn’t receive my texts, I sent you my number via DM.

Spoke too soon on the magic of the music. He’s back to his captivity song. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Texted you. If you can, can you reply so I know I have the right number. If you didn’t receive my texts, I sent you my number via DM.

Spoke too soon on the magic of the music. He’s back to his captivity song. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿
*PRAYERS* and fingers crossed and all the best thoughts for him!!! Can't wait to hear the next chapter in the saga!