Caring for an Orange Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not a lot of coverage or clearance, but hopefully it’s just enough to keep his head dry while he eats.
C59E519A-B957-4D10-B779-A1503BA9CF2F.jpeg 9EA5C957-A434-4330-9CE8-879FA4E15DD6.jpeg 7FCAF520-7FF0-4C71-AF3F-3F1072C19202.jpeg
It is a TV tray with a spare piece of wood in front to slant the roof. Then it’s wrapped in an upside down pee pad so the water won’t soak or pool on the tray.

We shall see in an hour how it works out if he’s wearing his pocket watch and on schedule today. 😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not a lot of coverage or clearance, but hopefully it’s just enough to keep his head dry while he eats.
View attachment 367465View attachment 367466View attachment 367467
It is a TV tray with a spare piece of wood in front to slant the roof. Then it’s wrapped in an upside down pee pad so the water won’t soak or pool on the tray.

We shall see in an hour how it works out if he’s wearing his pocket watch and on schedule today. 😹
Yeah. And if anyone moans, you're just keeping your furniture clean and dry. ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a super cute tiny tent that looks like it would fit underneath one of the chairs based on its measurements. I'm not driving out to the store that has it today. But maybe tomorrow.

Tiny Tents Tiny Tent | REI Co-op

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's late! His pocket watch must be solar powered. 🤦‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d been watching the camera on the iPad all afternoon. When it said low battery, I stopped. And then he showed up! 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

He was a little uncertain of it at first. But I think it‘s working out for him.
8BFCF95B-476B-42EA-B030-C8423FDA073C.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent. Glad to see him!
I was getting worried. That's the latest he's ever showed up for lunch. Not that we have more than a week long history of scheduled meals yet. I'll put dinner out for him in 30 minutes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was getting worried. That's the latest he's ever showed up for lunch. Not that we have more than a week long history of scheduled meals yet. I'll put dinner out for him in 30 minutes.
You're probably right, though, that his watch is solar-powered:flail:We're looking forward to rain down here in la-la land, too, at long last! It's only rained TWICE since November, the start of our rainy season. I normally don't water at all during winter but I've had to this year.
A good thing for OC is that with this weather, even if he shows up late, his dinner should be nice and fresh :winkcat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He finished early dinner even though it wasn't more than an hour or so behind his lunch. Then I finished my work day at 6 and hear him meowing outside my front door. I need to stop letting him in. He's getting harder and harder to lead back out to the deck. I appreciate that he pulls his punches. But one of these days, that soft attack on my foot whenever I try to gently nudge him won't be so soft. Ultimately, I got him back out on the deck with a second dinner. Porker!

There are a couple of rescues I need to contact this weekend.

But also the more transmissible Covid variant is being found more and more up here. I want to help him. But I don't want to leave my bubble. 😷😬

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He finished early dinner even though it wasn't more than an hour or so behind his lunch. Then I finished my work day at 6 and hear him meowing outside my front door. I need to stop letting him in. He's getting harder and harder to lead back out to the deck. I appreciate that he pulls his punches. But one of these days, that soft attack on my foot whenever I try to gently nudge him won't be so soft. Ultimately, I got him back out on the deck with a second dinner. Porker!

There are a couple of rescues I need to contact this weekend.

But also the more transmissible Covid variant is being found more and more up here. I want to help him. But I don't want to leave my bubble. 😷😬
Yeah, I know. I'm a cave-dweller myself; it'll be a year on March 19th. And being in L.A. County, I think that's with very good reason.
Does OC let you pick him up? He might prefer that to a foot nudge?
How about treats instead of another dinner? He may respond to just a couple of treats and that won't pack on the weight. Just an idea.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will not let me pick him up. Such a contrast to Krista and Cabbie. I use the gentle foot steer precisely because he’ll do less damage to my slippered foot than my bare hands. He does pull his punches though. I knew a friend’s cat in college who would have latched on with his claws and started kicking with the back legs. Buddy is more like, “hey c’mon! First warning. 😾

I don’t yet know what treats he likes. Not fish flakes or tripe treats. Or freeze dried chicken. He likes those lickable tube treats. But those are messy. I may break down and get him Temptations when I pick up more food next. I remember Krista would come running at the sound of the shaking the can. This was before all her health issues began. I’m sure she still would have run to the sound after. But she wasn’t going to get them anymore. 😿 Too many allergens.

He’s running late this morning. It is a cold morning. And he did get an extra dinner last night, though

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will not let me pick him up. Such a contrast to Krista and Cabbie. I use the gentle foot steer precisely because he’ll do less damage to my slippered foot than my bare hands. He does pull his punches though. I knew a friend’s cat in college who would have latched on with his claws and started kicking with the back legs. Buddy is more like, “hey c’mon! First warning. 😾

I don’t yet know what treats he likes. Not fish flakes or tripe treats. Or freeze dried chicken. He likes those lickable tube treats. But those are messy. I may break down and get him Temptations when I pick up more food next. I remember Krista would come running at the sound of the shaking the can. This was before all her health issues began. I’m sure she still would have run to the sound after. But she wasn’t going to get them anymore. 😿 Too many allergens.

He’s running late this morning. It is a cold morning. And he did get an extra dinner last night, though
Temptations are really, really bad, if you don't mind the honest comment. Greenies are better and if you get the tuna "hairball control" type, they have the crunchy shell and soft inside like Temptations. Just FYI. Baby Su and Elvis LOVE these.
Yeah, it's pretty cold here (for here) too! We got some rain last night. Looking forward to more rain today and next week.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright. I’ll get Greenies then. It wasn’t until Krista’s failing health that I gave cat health a second thought. The only other cat that was in my care was Cabbie before her. She ate kibble and Temptations until the very last weekend. Mouth cancer took her quality of life so dang fast! Krista ate kibble and temptations for a dozen years before the vet took her kibble eating teeth (molars and premolars due to resorption.) Then I’m sure the switch to wet food revealed damage to her gut that was already in the works. It was her battle with IBD that really turned me on to feline nutrition.

But I’m also acting like and hoping that Buddy’s situation is only temporary. That whether through rescue angels more bold than myself or the vaccine, we can scoop him off the streets and into a loving forever home.

Still no sign of him this morning... 🤷‍♂️

Maybe he found an alternate breakfast this morning.

I get motion notifications on that camera. When he does show up, I’ll know. Maybe that extra dinner has him sleeping in this morning. Especially if he did find a warm shelter last night (somebody’s laundry closet.) And then there’s still a whole other apartment complex next door that he’s been seen coming and going to....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright. I’ll get Greenies then. It wasn’t until Krista’s failing health that I gave cat health a second thought. The only other cat that was in my care was Cabbie before her. She ate kibble and Temptations until the very last weekend. Mouth cancer took her quality of life so dang fast! Krista ate kibble and temptations for a dozen years before the vet took her kibble eating teeth (molars and premolars due to resorption.) Then I’m sure the switch to wet food revealed damage to her gut that was already in the works. It was her battle with IBD that really turned me on to feline nutrition.

But I’m also acting like and hoping that Buddy’s situation is only temporary. That whether through rescue angels more bold than myself or the vaccine, we can scoop him off the streets and into a loving forever home.

Still no sign of him this morning... 🤷‍♂️

Maybe he found an alternate breakfast this morning.

I get motion notifications on that camera. When he does show up, I’ll know. Maybe that extra dinner has him sleeping in this morning. Especially if he did find a warm shelter last night (somebody’s laundry closet.) And then there’s still a whole other apartment complex next door that he’s been seen coming and going to....
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. He's probably holed up somewhere warm and dry.
Temptations are "allegedly" implicated in a lot of sickness and worse. I stopped buying and giving them when some of my cats showed signs of being quite unwell, for no other reason; and they recovered quickly once I pulled the product. I'll never buy them again, regardless of what some say about them not being harmful.
Greenies have better ingredients. They're still treats, but I feel a lot better about giving them. I've tried the freeze-dried treats, to turned up noses and tails. So I have to give what they'll enjoy. That's why treats are treats, after all. We also like the bonito flakes, which I use for a topper on wet food when they are reluctant to eat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t like bonito flakes. 🤦🏼‍♂️ He likes Fancy Feast. I was finally able to get him out of my apartment last night by opening another can for him. Isn’t that why he was crying at my door in the first place?

He finally showed up! Actually he’s cleaning the dregs in the dish right now. I’m going to wait for him to leave again before I put out lunch. Because I don’t want him rushing in again.

FEBEC641-C446-48CA-A460-9BA2EDF52AF9.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he finally got his fill this morning. He stopped by at 11 and again at 12:30. I put out his lunch after he left. And he just returned at 1. But he only ate about half of the can. I feel better to learn that he’s not a bottomless stomach on legs. I’m sure he’ll be back around in a couple hours when he’s had a chance to digest the can and a half from morning. 🐷🤦🏼‍♂️😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he finally got his fill this morning. He stopped by at 11 and again at 12:30. I put out his lunch after he left. And he just returned at 1. But he only ate about half of the can. I feel better to learn that he’s not a bottomless stomach on legs. I’m sure he’ll be back around in a couple hours when he’s had a chance to digest the can and a half from morning. 🐷🤦🏼‍♂️😹
My dad always used to say I had hollow legs. I think OC does, too. :flail:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about that! FedEx delivered on a Sunday. And before 9 pm. It arrived at 10:45. OC arrived for breakfast at 11am. He sleeps in on the weekends apparently.
D5D8A199-6B16-4F1E-BBFF-D671F9F7829D.jpeg
An hour later, I have one chair built. This isn’t great construction. But it will do for where it will go.
ED982A91-BF25-4C97-ABF9-951B3E1630C4.jpeg
Expecting rain before the second chair or table is complete. So, I put the first chair out and now he’s got himself an awning to eat under. And his feeder is hidden from prying property manager eyes. 👍😸
B37612FE-B512-481A-8245-9D00C8521EE9.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He gave the chair a rub and tried to chew the wicker. Then he went under for a bite and left after a bite. I don’t know if it’s too low for his comfort. But he did come at it from an odd side angle. Maybe he’ll figure it out when he’s hungrier.
82610C79-F798-4718-BDFF-4D186A5CB42D.jpeg
Although it is off-gassing. I wonder if the smell is making the food taste funny. Perhaps I should put the tray back out and give it a day or three for the new chair smell to die down. 🤦🏼‍♂️🙊