Caring for an Orange Cat

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
View attachment 352602 *How could I NOT share this one with you?* :lolup:
Two summers ago when all the calicos were born under my neighbor's house I did literally think I was going crazy until I saw them all sitting together next to her house and almost passed out when I realized that there were way more than just one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that crazy college house, we had a neighborhood orange that would visit us. Back then, we all smoked. We'd sit on the front porch and this orange girl would come out of nowhere and climb up the long staircase to the porch, pick one of us, and jump in our lap. My friends, the wine aficionados, named her Chardonnay. We already had a Merlot and a Cabernet at the time. After several weeks of visits from Char, we decided to try to add her to our inside colony. Well, you can imagine how well that went. We didn't know much about cat introductions at the time. We eventually put her back out and decided that it was doomed from the start. White wines don't mix with reds.

Char continued to visit us off and on that summer. Disappeared for awhile. Reappeared a year later. Then disappeared again. We all wonder whether we didn't have a collective hallucination that one night she reappeared.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
In that crazy college house, we had a neighborhood orange that would visit us. Back then, we all smoked. We'd sit on the front porch and this orange girl would come out of nowhere and climb up the long staircase to the porch, pick one of us, and jump in our lap. My friends, the wine aficionados, named her Chardonnay. We already had a Merlot and a Cabernet at the time. After several weeks of visits from Char, we decided to try to add her to our inside colony. Well, you can imagine how well that went. We didn't know much about cat introductions at the time. We eventually put her back out and decided that it was doomed from the start. White wines don't mix with reds.

Char continued to visit us off and on that summer. Disappeared for awhile. Reappeared a year later. Then disappeared again. We all wonder whether we didn't have a collective hallucination that one night she reappeared.
LOL over the white wines don't mix with red line. I currently have a cat that is now coming to me only one day a week. Don't know who she is going to, but she looked fine the last time I seen her. So I am not worrying over her anymore. I had an indoor cat get out and go missing for 5 months. He came back out of the blue, after I thought he was gone for good. I felt so blessed that he did come back. Cats are full of surprises.😺😼😸

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

IDK about alcohol culture at all but I do always enjoy a good cat tale! ;) :winkcat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IDK about alcohol culture at all but I do always enjoy a good cat tale! ;) :winkcat:
Well, you'll just have to take my word for it then. Red wines overpower white wines. You generally don't serve them together. If you do, like a tasting flight, you serve the white wines first. In the case of the cats, the reds were already established indoors and weren't going to allow a white (or an orange) into the mix.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you'll just have to take my word for it then. Red wines overpower white wines. You generally don't serve them together. If you do, like a tasting flight, you serve the white wines first. In the case of the cats, the reds were already established indoors and weren't going to allow a white (or an orange) into the mix.
*Wholeheartedly advocating for cat-tegration!*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Not only does he know where I live. But now he knows which car is mine. 😹 He followed me to the car the other day. If I had a carrier in the car/trunk, I’m sure he would have gone for a joyride with me.

86880513-474C-40BD-B32F-093BE8F10064.jpeg

Update: He’s been turned out again. And it looks like he still has his furry balls. Probably why he was turned out again. Likely marked up his last two places. 😢😿 And exactly why I’m still not taking him in.

Neighbors are feeding him again. He’s still a very healthy body condition—maybe a little meatier than last time. Still a tiny orange pit bull. And still just as sweet! I don’t feed him on the regular. But occasionally I come across him. And invariably, if I come over for scritches (and how could I not?!), he’ll follow me back to my unit. At that point, I feel guilty about discouraging him. So I let him in while I open up a can of FF turkey into a SureFeed motion feeder. Then I lead him out to the deck to eat. When he’s had his fill, he slips out under the deck fence. And since it’s a motion feeder, whatever he doesn’t eat, I don’t mind leaving out for him for several more hours.

Yeah. I know. I probably shouldn’t give in because he’ll become habituated with me. But I’m not the only neighbor feeding him. He’ll definitely live if we go a week or two between visits. I’m basically his cat grandpa. I spoil him when he visits. But I’m not his primary caregiver. 😹

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What am I missing? I am not suggesting you take him in. But, if you can't help to find him a permanent home, for the love of god, find a rescue that will. This is not your responsibility, I understand, but someone has to do something for him. To continue as his 'part-time grandpa' isn't doing him any favors. He obviously wants a home, and all you are doing is 'teasing' him, as are your neighbors. If he was happy with his current situation, he wouldn't be following people - you or otherwise - home. This guy deserves more.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Feeby's Owner is right, of course. It hurts my heart knowing he's roaming around outside, intact and potentially father to kittens in the middle of a pandemic (or at any other time) but I respect your choices, daftcat75 daftcat75 and I do thank you for giving him the food and caring you are giving. Just praying someone around there will invite him in, get him fixed, and adopt him into a loving permanent indoor-only home! He is looking very prosperous. He needs to be home.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What am I missing? I am not suggesting you take him in. But, if you can't help to find him a permanent home, for the love of god, find a rescue that will. This is not your responsibility, I understand, but someone has to do something for him. To continue as his 'part-time grandpa' isn't doing him any favors. He obviously wants a home, and all you are doing is 'teasing' him, as are your neighbors. If he was happy with his current situation, he wouldn't be following people - you or otherwise - home. This guy deserves more.
The last time I looked into this...

The rescues punted me to the city shelter and the city shelter is still closed because of Covid. The city shelter isn't answering their phones except a voice mail that promises a two week (!!!) turnaround. Their email is a three day turnaround for a terse and not very helpful response. And if I have questions unanswered, that's another three day turnaround. Their adoptions are all online now. You only get to meet the cats after you've picked one out on the website. The city shelter appears to be the only low cost spay and neuter right now. But since they aren't answering their phones or emails, good luck in trying to figure out how to arrange this. Their website is a mess of out-of-date/no-longer-relevant information because of Covid. I don't have the time or patience to deal with the city shelter when they are so very much unavailable right now.

And he's washed out of two homes already. He may have been intact too long to make a good indoor cat. I personally won't take the risk on him. And I shudder to think if he makes it all the way through the shelter system in a closed shelter during a pandemic just to be turned out or surrendered once more. My leading theory is that he was a kitten who couldn't get a neuter because early Covid rules outlawed them as elective. Now it's probably too late and he'll probably be a marker for life.

It's not ideal. But as long as this community is caring for him, he is probably better off as a well-loved outdoor cat than continually turned out as a not-so-loved indoor cat. If the property manager doesn't want him around, the property manager can deal with the absent city.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may have been intact too long to make a good indoor cat. I personally won't take the risk on him. And I shudder to think if he makes it all the way through the shelter system in a closed shelter during a pandemic just to be turned out or surrendered once more. My leading theory is that he was a kitten who couldn't get a neuter because early Covid rules outlawed them as elective. Now it's probably too late and he'll probably be a marker for life.
There is no 'too late', and no guarantee that he is a marker for life. That is apparently, and unfortunately, an assumption by many. But, I get the circumstances. Abandoned somehow, someway in an unfortunate time. Poor OC. :sniffle:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I debated a long time whether to post an update here precisely because I believed the response would upset me. I've finally come to peace with my neighbors taking care of him. That I don't need to be his caregiver, guardian, or hero. Sure. It would be nice if someone would step up for him. But look how far that's gotten him so far. I took a stab at it in October and it wasn't great for my mind or emotional state at the time. I need to take care of myself right now. And that's letting someone else take care of him. Sorry!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't mean to upset you. I was upset seeing that nothing yet has happened to help this guy - no one really wants to actually help him. From everything you've said, this cat would love to have a home and someone to care for him.
From what I can tell, he's had a home. Twice! At least. From what I have seen of him, the only thing I can imagine is that he was put out both times for marking. He's already marked my apartment once. The neighbor across from me makes sure he has food and water and there are as many as three other neighbors (that I know of) that are putting out food for him. Not everyone wants to get into cat rescue and the city isn't much help right now. Their voice mail (the one that promises a two week turnaround) seems to indicate that they're only willing to come out for animals that pose a threat right now. At least for now, I feel better knowing that this community is caring for him rather than worrying about the city or yet another home failing him. I wanted to actually help him. But I'm deeply distrustful of the city shelter and his prospects there right now. If they can't be bothered to pick up their damn phone or answer their email in any timely fashion, I don't know how much faith I have in the system right now.