Caring for an Orange Cat

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, maybe someone else who feeds him heard you were attempting to find him a place and decided to lay claim. It doesn't look like there's a tag, but if he shows up when you're home, maybe tape a piece of paper to the collar and see if they call you. If they want to take responsibility for him, you could help them find a vet who's doing neuters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, maybe someone else who feeds him heard you were attempting to find him a place and decided to lay claim. It doesn't look like there's a tag, but if he shows up when you're home, maybe tape a piece of paper to the collar and see if they call you. If they want to take responsibility for him, you could help them find a vet who's doing neuters.
There does appear to be a tag if you look at the glint in the first second or two of the video.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, if someone wants to claim him and give him a good home, balls and all, then I'm done. That's their lease which says he will need to be neutered before they can renew it. I'll be happy to keep food in my SureFeed for him as long as he keeps coming by. I'll set it to full motion to keep it fresher longer. But I didn't want to take on his case directly after Krista passed. At first, it was nice having him around because I enjoyed the affection and the company. But soon it became too much and a source of anxiety that's been complicating the grief and recovery from loss. I just wanted to focus on myself and now I had a new cat stressing me out and making me worry about his conditions and his fate. Honestly, if he is now a neighbor's cat, that's the best outcome I could hope for. I'll hopefully still get to see him (even if he's just a ghost on my camera) and someone else will care for him and give him a home.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, if someone wants to claim him and give him a good home, balls and all, then I'm done. That's their lease which says he will need to be neutered before they can renew it. I'll be happy to keep food in my SureFeed for him as long as he keeps coming by. I'll set it to full motion to keep it fresher longer. But I didn't want to take on his case directly after Krista passed. At first, it was nice having him around because I enjoyed the affection and the company. But soon it became too much and a source of anxiety that's been complicating the grief and recovery from loss. I just wanted to focus on myself and now I had a new cat stressing me out and making me worry about his conditions and his fate. Honestly, if he is now a neighbor's cat, that's the best outcome I could hope for. I'll hopefully still get to see him (even if he's just a ghost on my camera) and someone else will care for him and give him a home.
It's good that you are honest with yourself and have thought it out enough to come to a conclusion. It's even better that you will help him if he needs help. Thank you. For both.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Either he has a new collar or I have a new caller.
New collar or new caller?

I was going to wait for him to come around hungry and see if he’d meow door to door like the other morning. But now I think I’ll just set out breakfast and see if the camera can catch him during day hours. I’ll look for him at lunch and evening too.

New collar or new caller?
I have a few wanderers from my group that put me through the wringer. Some went missing for weeks. I search for them and worry over them. Right now I have a female who got sick, left the group. I thought the worse. Then for the last 3 weekends, she turns up on a Saturday or Sunday and eats with the group as if nothing is going on. She has lost a little weight, but otherwise seems fine. It looks like she is going to another feeder.
I hope OC comes back soon. Also, I hope all kitty in your area get tnred and has a regular feeder. That is a pretty orange kitty who came to you. Hopefully someone takes her in. Sadly, there is no shortage of homeless cats, hopefully one day this will no longer be. 😺😺😺

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few wanderers from my group that put me through the wringer. Some went missing for weeks. I search for them and worry over them. Right now I have a female who got sick, left the group. I thought the worse. Then for the last 3 weekends, she turns up on a Saturday or Sunday and eats with the group as if nothing is going on. She has lost a little weight, but otherwise seems fine. It looks like she is going to another feeder.
I hope OC comes back soon. Also, I hope all kitty in your area get tnred and has a regular feeder. That is a pretty orange kitty who came to you. Hopefully someone takes her in. Sadly, there is no shortage of homeless cats, hopefully one day this will no longer be. 😺😺😺
The orange girl in the neighboring complex may have a home. I was looking for an orange boy who usually greets me with a meow. She greeted me with a meow. I came over and said hello and I became her new favorite friend. But she was also sitting next to a porch like she owned the place. She may have been following me out of curiosity or a desire for more attention. And if she is homeless, she's awfully endearing like OC is. She didn't seem at all street skinny.

And OC, I'd be overjoyed if he's a kept man now even if I miss seeing him around and his rambunctious counter surfing visits before I got the feeder put out for him.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The orange girl in the neighboring complex may have a home. I was looking for an orange boy who usually greets me with a meow. She greeted me with a meow. I came over and said hello and I became her new favorite friend. But she was also sitting next to a porch like she owned the place. She may have been following me out of curiosity or a desire for more attention. And if she is homeless, she's awfully endearing like OC is. She didn't seem at all street skinny.

And OC, I'd be overjoyed if he's a kept man now even if I miss seeing him around and his rambunctious counter surfing visits before I got the feeder put out for him.
The female is certainly not feral, then. Ferals are said by experts not to vocalize to humans. If she's homeless, she's recently homeless, for whatever reason. *HOPING and PRAYING that's not so, though.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The female is certainly not feral, then. Ferals are said by experts not to vocalize to humans. If she's homeless, she's recently homeless, for whatever reason. *HOPING and PRAYING that's not so, though.*
Feral was never a question. Too friendly and too vocal.

I don't think she's homeless. I just think she wanted more attention from me. :kneading::catrub:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mystery solved. Sort of.

A neighbor picked him up and posted to Pawboost. I’ll contact the person on Pawboost and find out whether she’s planning to take him down to shelter or what.

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a Mobile Vet perhaps you can all donate to have him neutered...he will be a more attractive adoptee...if he continues to mark you can try hormone treatments. Ginger cats are notoriously sweet...I have a boy who looks like this one. I call them Orange Roughies. :) Hoping for a good outcome.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a Mobile Vet perhaps you can all donate to have him neutered...he will be a more attractive adoptee...if he continues to mark you can try hormone treatments. Ginger cats are notoriously sweet...I have a boy who looks like this one. I call them Orange Roughies. :) Hoping for a good outcome.
Another neighbor picked him up and posted to Pawboost. I’m inclined to leave it and let my neighbor handle him now. I’ll keep putting food in the feeder on my deck if he’s coming around to eat it. Maybe I’ll see him on my camera now and again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there we go! I’m going to miss this boisterous butterball. But hopefully “this pet” 😹 has a good home now. And maybe he’ll come around for a visit now and then. 🤞
0728CE45-3396-4F41-941C-85D61FF59F52.png

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, is someone taking care of OC while he is listed on Paw Boost? Have you talked to the person who put him on PB? And, now you are telling me you are dealing with AOC? Maybe OC's temporary care taker knows something about AOC?

Edit: I just noticed the 'Rehomed' notation on the PB pic you shared. I guess I am confused. Neighbor posted him on PB or found his posting on PB? Sorry, if I am missing something.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, is someone taking care of OC while he is listed on Paw Boost? Have you talked to the person who put him on PB? And, now you are telling me you are dealing with AOC? Maybe OC's temporary care taker knows something about AOC?
🤷‍♂️

It seems a neighbor picked up OC, put a collar and tag on him, and has listed him as “rehomed” after he was listed as “found.” Seeing as they chose to rehome a previously abandoned or otherwise stray cat, I’m trusting they know what they’re getting into. If he’s marking, certainly they would have figured that out by now.
AOC is on her own. I don’t live there. I trespassed (gated community) once to look for OC.

I respect rescue work. But that’s not where I’m at. Not right now. I was willing to step up for OC when it looked like no one else will. But I’m not his social worker. If PB says he’s rehomed, that’s good enough for me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤷‍♂️

It seems a neighbor picked up OC, put a collar and tag on him, and has listed him as “rehomed” after he was listed as “found.” Seeing as they chose to rehome a previously abandoned or otherwise stray cat, I’m trusting they know what they’re getting into. If he’s marking, certainly they would have figured that out by now.
AOC is on her own. I don’t live there. I trespassed (gated community) once to look for OC.

I respect rescue work. But that’s not where I’m at. Not right now. I was willing to step up for OC when it looked like no one else will. But I’m not his social worker. If PB says he’s rehomed, that’s good enough for me.
Praying and hoping he really is and that the new caregiver will get him neutered, vetted and everything he needs! and love him always.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best guess is the encounter I saw on Sat was neighbor indeed picking up OC and taking him to vet for a chip scan. Neighbor must have also got him a collar and tag per video from the other night. Neighbor must have decided to keep him and change his status from found to rehomed. Which is not the same as reunited if he was someone else’s. I know as much as you do about that Pawboost listing. And I’m not willing to re-rehome him, so I’m not getting involved. If they say he has a home, that’s good enough for me.

(And if something changes, well, he knows the way.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best guess is the encounter I saw on Sat was neighbor indeed picking up OC and taking him to vet for a chip scan. Neighbor must have also got him a collar and tag per video from the other night. Neighbor must have decided to keep him and change his status from found to rehomed. Which is not the same as reunited if he was someone else’s. I know as much as you do about that Pawboost listing. And I’m not willing to re-rehome him, so I’m not getting involved. If they say he has a home, that’s good enough for me.

(And if something changes, well, he knows the way.)
YES.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, maybe if AOC continues to hang around, this neighbor will do a similar-type favor for her like they did for OC. Or, at least find out that she does in fact belong to someone and has not been abandoned or lost.