Caring for an Orange Cat

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update, but not a happy ending. 😿

I posted to Pawboost, purchased a Facebook ad (through Pawboost), and paid a little extra to make him a Featured Pet on Pawboost. Then I posted to Nextdoor. His "owner" saw the Nextdoor and contacted me. It does not sound like an ideal fit. Myself and the rescue pleaded our best case for rehoming. But she insists she wants "her" cat back and there's little we or the rescue can do about that. The "owner" is a neighbor who says she "rescued" him from the streets (our community) last summer, neutered and chipped him. She also insists that he won't be contained inside. I don't want to get into a neighbor feud. So I guess I will be seeing him around again. I asked his "owner" to put a collar on him but we'll see how far that goes. She was not particularly pleasant or compassionate in our interactions.
This sort of thing is why I've stopped posting on nextdoor when I trap a Cat. I just keep quiet about it and look for shelter placement, if it turns out there's a microchip then I'd let them handle reuniting Cat with person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sort of thing is why I've stopped posting on nextdoor when I trap a Cat. I just keep quiet about it and look for shelter placement, if it turns out there's a microchip then I'd let them handle reuniting Cat with person.
You are legally and morally obligated to make every effort to locate a cat's "owner." As disagreeable as the experience was, I think it served as a valuable lesson for the neighbor as I have not seen him loose since. If the tables were turned, I would want someone who picked up my cat to make the same effort.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on ya. I try to keep anything involving innocent lives on the downlow as far as public sites are concerned, except for the crossposting I do.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are legally and morally obligated to make every effort to locate a cat's "owner." As disagreeable as the experience was, I think it served as a valuable lesson for the neighbor as I have not seen him loose since. If the tables were turned, I would want someone who picked up my cat to make the same effort.
If the picker-upper is a good and kind person, I'd agree.