Caring for abandoned stray kittens

cricke1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a stray cat bring her 5 babies to my door. Since we have a raccoon that is really big I brought the mom and the babies inside and put them in a crate for the night I was afraid that the coon would eat them. About a week ago the mother cat suddenly disappears. My concern is that they are very small and skinny. I can't keep them cause I have 4 already plus 3 dogs in an apartment. I don't think they could survive outside on their own. I don't know what to do for them please help they are so cute..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know anyone who can help you feed them, they need frequent small feedings of KMR and possibly added unflavored Pedialyte.

Are they warm? Fill a sock halfway with uncooked regular rice, microwave it, make sure it's not too hot and put that in with them, but leave space so they can get off of it too. Check it regularly so you can maintain it for them.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the mother with the kittens now or not? How old do the kittens appear to be? Do they have baby teeth yet? Are they able to eat on their own? If so, what have you been feeding them and how often?

If not eating on their own, are you bottle feeding? What formula are you using?

It will be best if you can feed and care for them until you can find a no-kill shelter or a foster for them until they can be adopted.

What city and state are you located in and I will search for a rescue for you.

In the meantime, thank you for bringing them inside to safety!

C cricke1

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cricke1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the mother with the kittens now or not? How old do the kittens appear to be? Do they have baby teeth yet? Are they able to eat on their own? If so, what have you been feeding them and how often?

It will be best if you can feed and care for them until you can find a no-kill shelter or a foster for them until they can be adopted.

C cricke1

C cricke1
The mother was feeding them and coming in and out up until about 3 weeks ago when she went out and we haven't seen her since. Yes they are eating on their own. I try to give them a mixture of soft and dry food I had some milk replacement formula but I ran out. I think they are about 3 mos old is that still to young to let them go outside? The reason I ask is I live near some woods and there are a lot of other adult stray cats plus the fact that I live in Nacogdoches, TX and they are not a no kill shelter which is why I think they would have a better chance at life outside where they were born. I don't know maybe I am wrong. I know I have to move out by August 9th and it's really hard to find a place that accepts pets.
But I would rather live under a bridge before I give up my fur babies.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
The mother was feeding them and coming in and out up until about 3 weeks ago when she went out and we haven't seen her since. Yes they are eating on their own. I try to give them a mixture of soft and dry food I had some milk replacement formula but I ran out. I think they are about 3 mos old is that still to young to let them go outside? The reason I ask is I live near some woods and there are a lot of other adult stray cats plus the fact that I live in Nacogdoches, TX and they are not a no kill shelter which is why I think they would have a better chance at life outside where they were born. I don't know maybe I am wrong. I know I have to move out by August 9th and it's really hard to find a place that accepts pets.
But I would rather live under a bridge before I give up my fur babies.
Contact Alley Cat Allies for those in your area that may be able to help. Get Help
Search FB for local rescue groups, tnr groups ....
Momma left because it was time and she has to push them away, they are getting close to being able to reproduce soon.
If you return them outside and move away is there anybody who will take over feeding them?
I hope you have a new home to go to if you need to be out in 3 days.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom may have been run over or killed by a coyote. The kittens don't really sound strong enough to survive on their own yet. Better to take them to a shelter to be quickly pts than to put them outside to starve, die of thirst, or see their death from another animal coming.

Chasing objects and moving things is an instinct, however the strike that kills prey is not. This must be learned from another cat. Without this the kittens will not be able to kill food to eat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not put them outside. They will perish as they’ve only known mom and now you. Please hold onto them for now. They stand no chance whatsoever on their own at this tender age.

Mom probably left because she went into heat and is likely pregnant again already. Poor thing.

I will do some research and post again!