Caring for a colony

KatMalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I do rescue and also care for a colony. I've had to be stealthy because the colony resides in a broken down shed on my nasty neighbor's property. She's unwilling to work with me and has called animal control numerous times. Luckily AC is a bunch of lazy can't be bothered to put much effort into it types. One time they put out a trap but I managed to rescue the cat caught. He was completely feral and after a few months is now sleeping on our bed at night. I'm very thankful he was able to be saved before they got to him. I've managed to adopt five others that were complete love bugs and clearly used to have homes. There's just three cats left in the colony now. I can hide a trap at night on the opposite side so my neighbor doesn't see it but the cats won't go in it. I think they're afraid after seeing their buddy caught in it. Or is it because I feed them they aren't hungry enough? Any advice?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I do rescue and also care for a colony. I've had to be stealthy because the colony resides in a broken down shed on my nasty neighbor's property. She's unwilling to work with me and has called animal control numerous times. Luckily AC is a bunch of lazy can't be bothered to put much effort into it types. One time they put out a trap but I managed to rescue the cat caught. He was completely feral and after a few months is now sleeping on our bed at night. I'm very thankful he was able to be saved before they got to him. I've managed to adopt five others that were complete love bugs and clearly used to have homes. There's just three cats left in the colony now. I can hide a trap at night on the opposite side so my neighbor doesn't see it but the cats won't go in it. I think they're afraid after seeing their buddy caught in it. Or is it because I feed them they aren't hungry enough? Any advice?
Thank you for being so caring! The poor sweeties! I have had a few cats who have alluded my traps. Try not to give them food for a day so that they are extra hungry. Can you find a larger trap? That might help, but it would be harder to hide from your neighbors. I just do not get why your nasty neighbors are being nasty. If you are trying to catch the cats, what is their problem?! I cannot stand people sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatMalone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for being so caring! The poor sweeties! I have had a few cats who have alluded my traps. Try not to give them food for a day so that they are extra hungry. Can you find a larger trap? That might help, but it would be harder to hide from your neighbors. I just do not get why your nasty neighbors are being nasty. If you are trying to catch the cats, what is their problem?! I cannot stand people sometimes.
I know I just don't get it. She also claims to be allergic to cats so let me just get them out of there. I think she may be one of those people who like to have something to complain about. She started giving me the finger whenever I drive by and she's outside. I just smile and wave which aggravates her. Thanks for the tips. I think I'll forgo a feeding and see if that works.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to conceal or blend the cage with the surrounding.
I had a couple of female cats in my colony that wouldn't go into the trap, then I thought to disguise it using small branches from a nearby bush and hedge, and covered the trap floor with plenty of leaves, so that the cats wouldn't see the metal mesh.
Also, lay the most of the bait at the very end of the cage, but leave a small trail of food outside the trap (two feet around it) and at the doorstep and along the trap.
It worked for me, along with not feeding them for a day in order to have them hungrier.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I found that using KFC or even a grocery store facsimile of fried chicken was the best bait. I put it in the trap skin and all as it was a one time bait and they were not going to be living on fatty chicken for the rest of their lives.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
There are lots of tips for trapping if you do a search on here.

I think I actually commented recently with a buttload of trapping suggestions on other threads if you go to my profile and look at my comment history!

Withholding food for a day is a very common tactic. I personally don’t do it, and just slightly decrease feeding, or halve it and have no problems doing that. I only withhold food in time-sensitive emergencies where I need to do everything necessary to increase my chances of a successful trap ASAP.

But if they aren’t going into the traps, withholding food is absolutely reasonable to try!

I agree with blending the trap in with the environment as well, this is one of my go-tos. I use a piece of cardboard or some sheets of unprinted newspaper at the bottom to better hide the wire (and make the trap more comfortable once kitty’s trapped), then try to hide the trap in a bush/shrubbery (or next to a tree and try to find a few branches to place on top and at the sides), then cover the floor with dirt, sticks, leaves, etc.

You can also try catnip to add more enticement.

If money is no object and you aren’t on a super tight deadline, TruCatch has some nice, bigger traps (wildlife trap, dog traps) that some cats are much more willing to go into.

And Tomahawk has a drop trap and a roundhouse trap. I have both, but only just recently used the roundhouse trap, and it’s worked for one stubborn cat so far.

Other than that, check my comment history. Anything I commented on had additional comments and trap tips from other users too, so those threads in general will probably be very helpful to you!

Thank you for advocating for these guys and enduring so much just to help them have a better life <3