Caring for 2

lauriec515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 TNR ferals  outside here.  They will be 10 and 11 this year.  They also have a sheltered cat house to go in and get out of the elements.  I named them Missy (the mother) and Bonnie.   Over time,  they have become friendly to me only.  I can't pick them up, but I can pet them.  They still scare easily though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have 2 TNR ferals  outside here.  They will be 10 and 11 this year.  They also have a sheltered cat house to go in and get out of the elements.  I named them Missy (the mother) and Bonnie.   Over time,  they have become friendly to me only.  I can't pick them up, but I can pet them.  They still scare easily though.
Pics are welcome!  10 and 11 years is a respekt-giving age for outside living semiferales.  :)

Tell me, do they accepts pets to get food, or do they let pet you entirely voluntarily for the pleasure of it, even instead of food?

Ps.  I see this is your first post here.  Welcome to the TCS site and this Forum!

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!  Thank you for caring for these two girls.  They have done very well with all of the food, shelter and love you are providing. 

I care for 3 ferals (actually semi feral now) on my deck.  They have 2 heated winter shelters as well as a few insulated rubbermaid containers with heat pads.  I too can pet them, but only one cat I pick up.  I have had one for almost 6 years now.  It took me 7 months working numerous times each day to finally be able  to touch him.  It then took another month before I could pet him.  He will now sit in my lap for a bit, but if I try to pick him up, he freaks out.  I do keep trying, but have yet to be successful. 

We are do for a cold snap starting tonight.  Temps are to be 0 with wind chills of -15.  I had hoped we would escape the cold this winter.  Yet this is better than the previous two winters when we had temps of -15 and wind chills of -30-40.