Care For Elderly Stray

Greebosears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three strays who claim my backyard shed as home, all fixed and fed daily for years. One of them is a male of indeterminate age, but at least 12-15yrs. He's fading and I'm not sure what to do to help him. He gets plenty of water and shade, but he's slowing down and gets off his food. I can only keep him inside--where I would obviously prefer that he stayed--for less than an hour at a time; goes crazy if I try to keep him inside. I just don't want him to suffer.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he had a vet check? I know that’s probably hard but he may have something besides just being older. It might be some issue bothering him that can be solved like a UTI. A vet could advise you best on whether or not he is suffering. Hopefully he isn’t
You are so great to be taking care of him. If it is just coming to ,” his time” then you are giving him inside time to rest and love along with care. I don’t know if we can really do more than that. The love counts more than anything. Thank you for giving him that. Please update about him. I’m glad you came here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greebosears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, the vet's always tricky for my outside ones; always bring the other younger alpha male with, keeps them calmer. I buy good food, and Macy, the old one prefers dry over wet food, so he gets the same Kidney care prescription stuff that my inside 19-year-old boy gets. Macy nibbled this morning, gonna watch for a bit. Thanks for the input; had not thought about supplements.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The most any of us can hope for is a kind friend at the end of life. You are giving this boy that. I've been a hospice rescue mom for many years. I don't believe "fading" is painful. It's a normal part of aging. A cat that has been outside for 15 years would likely find a vet visit terrifying. You'll know if he's in distress. It's unmistakable. If you see it, you can help him leave this place. Until then, you are giving him the greatest gift of all. Love, and care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greebosears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's SO hard though. You love them. And you're right, a trip to the vet is traumatic, which is why I try to include his friend, the alpha. It's just hard not being there when you know you need to be. I've had females that have waited to give birth until I was there with them, and I've had cats walk right up to me, lie down and die, in peace. But most of the strays I've helped just disappear and die somewhere by themselves, natural but still heartbreaking at the same time. You want to be able to see them off, say goodby.