Capturing Feral Mama Cat and Kittens?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think if you release her now it will be very difficult to trap her again. She might take off and by the next time you see her she could already be pregnant or have another litter. A few things you could try.

Is there another vet that could spay her before the 8th?
Do you have a room you could use for mother and kittens?
Could you borrow a larger crate?
Could you wire the crate the kittens are in to the larger crate you have for the mother so all three have access to both cages?
Have you tried spoon feeding the mother? Use a long handled spoon and offer her some warmed up canned food. Sometimes if you put the food right up to their mouths they will lick it. Once they get a taste they usually eat a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if you release her now it will be very difficult to trap her again. She might take off and by the next time you see her she could already be pregnant or have another litter. A few things you could try.

Could you wire the crate the kittens are in to the larger crate you have for the mother so all three have access to both cages?
Have you tried spoon feeding the mother? Use a long handled spoon and offer her some warmed up canned food. Sometimes if you put the food right up to their mouths they will lick it. Once they get a taste they usually eat a little.
We called every clinic on the list. Also, someone who volunteers and fosters cats tried for us through her channels. But do you think it's safe to even try to spay if she has not eaten or drank for so long? I don't want her to die.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you call the place that is supposed to do the spay and ask them?

I've taken a rescued cat in for emergency surgery once before and they sedated him, then gave him Sub Q fluids before dealing with his injuries. I don't know how long since he had eaten though and I'm not a vet, so I can't answer that question.

Is it evening where you are now? If so leave the mother and kittens as close as possible, if you can't put them in the same cage, and give it until tomorrow morning. Then call the clinic and ask their advice.

Sorry, I know this is really hard for you.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She is in a big cage now. I just tried feeding her and nothing... She just jumps away.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've taken a rescued cat in for emergency surgery once before and they sedated him, then gave him Sub Q fluids before dealing with his injuries. I don't know how long since he had eaten though and I'm not a vet, so I can't answer that question.

Is it evening where you are now? If so leave the mother and kittens as close as possible, if you can't put them in the same cage, and give it until tomorrow morning. Then call the clinic and ask their advice.

It's morning here, almost 7am. We are in San Diego. They finally settled down and stopped crying. I will try again to find someone who will do an emergency spay.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Happy to share, our mama cat's angel and sponsor found a vat that took her today in. We are getting her spayed! :dancingblackcat:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's wonderful news! I was thinking about you all last night, hoping something good would come up for you. The vet will probably give her fluids if they think she is dehydrated. That often stimulates their appetite as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a trouble-free spay and plain sailing from now on.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy to share, our mama cat's angel and sponsor found a vat that took her today in. We are getting her spayed! :dancingblackcat:
Update: mama Cat Daisy bit one of the technicians before the surgery through the glove. :eek: So, they sent her to Humane society for spaying plus quarantine for 10 days. This is what I wanted from start, to use Humane Society, but until there was rabies scare it was not happening. Feisty Daisy saved us $350 today for spaying!...
Lessons learned: don't trap a feral cat without an appointment. And don't trap feral 10 weeks old kitties with mama at the same time.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's wonderful news! I was thinking about you all last night, hoping something good would come up for you. The vet will probably give her fluids if they think she is dehydrated. That often stimulates their appetite as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a trouble-free spay and plain sailing from now on.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
I wish it was... :lol: Please see my comment above. Mama cat bit a technician before surgery... :blackcat:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, this has all been very eventful!

Is this the first time you've done TNR? I want to assure you it isn't always like this. I've TNR'd over 40 cats and I've never had this much excitement. You really got thrown in at the deep end with this family.

You did amazingly well though, you were so lucky to have your Cat Angel step in when you needed them.

Mama Daisy sounds like quite a handful. I hope everything goes smoothly with her from now on.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Please keep us updated on how everything goes. How are the kittens doing today?

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is this the first time you've done TNR? I want to assure you it isn't always like this. I've TNR'd over 40 cats and I've never had this much excitement. You really got thrown in at the deep end with this family.

You did amazingly well though, you were so lucky to have your Cat Angel step in when you needed them.

Mama Daisy sounds like quite a handful. I hope everything goes smoothly with her from now on.

Yes, I've never done TNRs and don't think I ever want to. 😰 I've been so stressed these 2 weeks like I've never been stressed in my entire life! Like Covid-19 was not enough for me, he-he. I still feel so guilty that mama Daisy is seating there in a cage somewhere, suffering for 10 days. And I cannot help. And it's all because of me. But keeping her at home was impossible. She scared kittens and was wrestling all night in the cage. Kittens were mewing all night. I hope I can get some sleep tonight...
Kittens are doing good. They seem less scared when mama Daisy is not around. Even started playing with me. We had 2 longs play sessions today, lots of good food, lots of naps with classical music for cats...
They are still hissing when I get close with my hand, but getting better and better every day.
My friend who is adopting one of the kittens wants to pick him up tomorrow. Do you think it's too early for the two to separate? I am worried about mewing and separation anxiety. They are about 10-11 weeks old now. But still calling for mom a couple times a day. I just talk to them and give some food and they calm down. What do you think?

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

One more question, how do you keep the emotions out of the TNR? I am such a mess... Crying sometimes about this whole situation I had to put this cat family through. :eek2: Maybe I am just PMS-ing too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I still feel so guilty that mama Daisy is seating there in a cage somewhere, suffering for 10 days.
I know it seems dreadful when you think about that, but imagine what her life would have been like if you hadn't trapped her. She would have just gone through pregnancy after pregnancy, risking being infected with FIV or FeLV every time she mated, probably seen the vast majority of her kittens die and, if she lived long enough, would have eventually developed pyometra or cancer. She's going to be in a cage for ten days, but she'll be spayed and given pain medication and antibiotics. They'll treat her for worms and fleas, probably vaccinate her as well and when the ten days have passed she'll be released again. She'll stand a much better chance of surviving than she would have done if it wasn't for you.
My friend who is adopting one of the kittens wants to pick him up tomorrow. Do you think it's too early for the two to separate?
Your friend has another cat, is that right? And has experience with nervous kittens? I think the kitten will be fine if your friend understands how to handle a feral kitten. Siblings usually do form close bonds, so separating them is always going to be upsetting, but if it's done at ten weeks and there is an older cat to bond with they'll get over it sooner than an adult pair of siblings will. There is a better chance that the remaining kitten will bond with you if he/she doesn't have anyone else to form an attachment to.
One more question, how do you keep the emotions out of the TNR?
I don't. I can't.

I still feel physically sick whenever I trap a cat and I can't sleep at all when I've trapped one ready to be fixed first thing in the morning.
The thing is I've been doing rescue for quite a while now and I know how many kittens die and I've seen what happens to adult cats who haven't been fixed.

As stressful as it is, it just happens to them once, and then after that they are going to have a far better chance of surviving than a cat that hasn't been spayed or neutered has.

I've witnessed some horrible things while I've been doing rescue, but I've never once regretted trapping a cat to be spayed or neutered. The only things I regret are the times I didn't get to them soon enough to help. That doesn't mean I don't question myself every time though. That's just the way it is.

:hugs:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No! You did great and did a wonderful thing! You saved their lives! Life as an non spayed feral is very hard and can be short. Please know that I know, you did great and with little help! That’s awesome! The mom is safe! That is the main thing. I know you have in your mind that she is suffering but the world outside for a pregnant feral is very scary and very risky. You just gave her the best chance she could ever get! I always tell rescuers that if you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero!
If your friend wants that kitten, I suggest that they come their to get to know the kitten. Maybe two can go together? Give them a chance to fall in love with a kitten or kittens first. Then let the kitty go with them. Make sure there is a love match and it will all be good.
I understand the emotions. I always missed the kitties I rescued because we put our hearts and energy into saving them. We care and that’s why we rescue. It shows your heart is in the right place. Letting them go to a good life is what you need to remember. They went from being at risk of starving as they try to care for a family or disease and into a life of being loved as part of a family somewhere. You did that for them. Yes, we send a piece of our heart with them but they leave a part of theirs with us. Celebrate their life now. I always cried when they left but later I got to hear about them becoming cherished, spoiled, making a difference in someone’s life and being happy! That makes it all worthwhile. I adopted out many and can’t follow them all but I have even gotten thank you notes from some families for being a good foster mom and for giving them up to others. I have heard some of the greatest adoption stories and it made me cry with pure joy. I am so happy for the kitties. Some kitties have changed lives. You just made part of the world a better place. :clap2: :heartshape:Cry from being tired, cry for missing them, cry for joy but do not cry from feeling that it is sad for them. It’s not. It may take time for them to know it but they will come to know safety, food, care and love. Even if rescues are spayed, neutered and released, their lives have been greatly improved. Their life span increased and they no longer need fear pregnancy, cat fighting, hiding from cats wanting to mate or trying to feed lots of mouths. They are free. You have my greatest admiration and thanks for helping them.
I am so sorry I did not get to see this post before now. Please do not hesitate to catch mom’s and babies together. There are ways to handle even the most feral of families. I think that keeping them together from the start would have made it much easier for you. A larger cage from the start or a bathroom. There are ways to work around bathing and dressing, even with kitties everywhere. When I read that mom cat was put outside, I was concerned for many reasons. If I got this right... A cat friend visiting her? I suspect mom was scared and possibly coming into heat or even pregnant again already. Sometimes a pregnant cat goes through a period similar to what a human feels and does not want to eat for a little while. That combined with being trapped and separated from her kittens would just have left her confused. I am sorry she bit someone but not surprised. If it hastens the Spay, that’s good. Reducing cost too! I think if we weren’t going through Covid, your experiences would have been much different. More help would have been available to you. Fosters and rescue groups have been swamped lately and have few resources since many clinics and vets are closed so the advice you got was all that others could offer. I hope you will continue to rescue and post here for information, support and help. There are a lot of people here who have been in your shoes and understand how hard it is but also have found a way to deal with crying, scared and not eating kitties. I had to bring in over 100 ferals in a very short time. Males, females, kittens and pregnant cats. It was chaos at first! No sleep for me! I finally worked out location, juggling moms with babies, separating moms and babies before mom spays, neutering and finally, socializing all before working on adoptions. I had cats in every room in my house because being outside was very dangerous here. In some cases I wired two cages together to house cats with a lot of kittens. I found that socializing the mom went easier if she saw her babies learning to trust a human first. I also learned that letting a cat watch me sleep gave them a chance to look at me without worrying I would approach them. They gained some trust that way. I had moms and babies in cages together and when the lights were out, they could move around together without fear. Eat, drink, play and watch. A night light could help. Scared cats would start out in a cage covered with a sheet. As they calmed, I slowly pulled back a little of the sheet to let them watch. If they got scared, I re covered the cage. I learned over time and once I found TCS, the support of others here made everything better. Anyway, please don’t be put off by this one experience. We will be here in the future and you can message us and me as much as you want or need. If you send me a message, I will see it! I will answer you.
Is mom cat coming back to you later? Being released or socialized for adoption? Even older cats got socialized here although not every cat will become a lap cat. All the cats I brought in either got adopted or remained with me. All these can be handled, petted and all but one are lap cats. That one prefers her best female kitty friend but does want my attention. She’s very sweet.
How is it going with the kittens?
I have some photos for you. I hope you will find some encouragement looking through these and I hope you don’t mind me putting them here. There are happy endings.
Babies caught without mom but reunited later.
F284CDDF-9F35-4F82-8CE2-38C0F14D76AD.jpeg

They cried!
5D6A3E3A-A6CA-4121-B8EB-62E477F0922A.jpeg

Reunited with mom and mom learned trust through babies interacting with humans. All adopted later.
CAC18761-7048-4C80-94C3-BE403D553E96.jpeg

Two males not from the same litter but housed together after becoming friends. Both adopted later.
7D95F432-97B6-4182-AD5B-0C769CB11CAB.jpeg

First day with a human.
3D636EE6-7FAA-4785-AD70-DE7D42C95120.jpeg

A week later.
3A7EF810-9638-4AF9-A66D-9053B74B80CE.jpeg

Mother and babies before trapping.
70AD8FC4-6472-42B9-8D70-0ADAE4923C93.jpeg

Trapped and scared.
ED467B1F-4555-46F4-A57C-8607E28C6601.jpeg

Hiding in the cage.
C141BE6A-5271-46DC-801E-0CAA175D6EB8.jpeg

Using a wand toy helps to socialize kittens.
E091A419-A856-480C-8B41-01109ED97DE2.jpeg

Mom sees that kittens allow touching and she learns trust through them.
5A30F430-CC0E-47BD-A584-8D04A2EB07F8.jpeg
DFC442F9-3371-4DDD-8CC3-0BF89FF37CAE.jpeg

Hand feeding treats to kittens helps.
A878584A-BE50-42FB-8292-AF3789727933.jpeg

Cages wired together to provide space for a family.
9115B370-E553-4487-B893-CAB2A28969B0.jpeg

Older kittens can be socialized.
0762E877-5C85-44B6-B752-586CD4757C4D.jpeg

This one is not a lap cat but loves contact and is very sweet.
6C7913F6-EF30-4478-A26B-3B78F2ADCA81.jpeg

A very protective feral mom before trapping.
321D6E91-3129-4871-95CF-596436EA85E4.jpeg

Older kittens before trapping.
D4327265-0A43-4A3D-9683-0BE1FD08A94E.jpeg

Learning trust.
FEB1809A-9080-4898-88A7-7A492E0D82E8.jpeg

Living in a small bathroom with their mom.
F9527BB3-9B46-40AF-BC73-2806B60E872E.jpeg

The protective feral just at the time of trapping.
D1B2F13D-7D61-41C2-999C-BA38195C9251.jpeg

Hissing at humans.
C6362F9D-705F-4FE3-ACBA-554A23B5A3F4.jpeg

If you can see, the cage with the kitten has another cage in the background that housed another mom and kittens. Chaos!
E5B910A0-B294-4BDC-B250-8432BCAA41D5.jpeg

Kittens learn trust even if the mom isn’t trusting yet.
E26AB5EA-E381-4AFE-B24B-6DAE609CE1D7.jpeg

It takes time.
5D4CE239-A69A-4886-A72C-AD1485BD6F51.jpeg

Even grown feral cats can love humans.
33F57283-14AA-43F4-BB0A-B6E22C1D7CDB.jpeg

A female that is not the mom can help to socialize and babysit. Lol
F122203F-DCE8-4CC3-B3A5-F7F0CC8AD1BD.jpeg

The hissing mom allows petting.
307F74E8-8641-46A6-9EF8-B4DFDA074156.jpeg

A much older Tom feral being fed a treat.
FD0BFE57-822E-4E4B-AC18-D94B244745C5.jpeg

Almost a year old when she came in, this girl adjusted to being loved.
76A563D6-1CDC-47DA-B019-66378ADBBB7E.jpeg

The old Tom after being inside and starting to socialize.
7001E6DB-FD34-4BB9-A6B0-F7EE578DFB58.jpeg

A single kitten found but very sick and scared.Quarrantined away from all others.
7D611BE3-A456-458F-B64A-75C032BF14E3.jpeg
6B573594-4556-46FD-A99F-1CA801885272.jpeg

Now healthy and social.
9CAC41A0-F408-4925-A9FB-70AD2F2AE778.jpeg

The old Tom is more than a lap cat. He cuddles.
17A7E67A-3980-4BB1-B7A5-5F36B5C9EFB1.jpeg

All but a few of these were adopted. The rest have a safer life. Please don’t be discouraged from rescuing moms with their babies. It can actually work to your advantage once logistics are worked out. If Releasing is not an option or a rescue group does not have space to socialize, if you desire to do it, you can help them socialize for adoption. You are not alone as you have concerns. We are here. You did great!

Last edited:

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! You are amazing!!! Such great stories and photos! Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this! I will be calling to Humane Society today and check up on Daisy. I just hope she doesn't have anything bad with her, FIV or anything else... And I hope the Kittens are OK. They started to play a bit but still very scared. 💕

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank yo so much for reply to my questions! Yes, my friends has some experience and she has a spoiled kitty herself. Thank you for encouragements! :lovecat4:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one FIV cat. The older Tom that is the one under the blanket. It’s not the threat that some think. Transmission is generally from a cat biting another cat, fighting. I did keep that old fellow and socialized him to be strictly an indoor kitty. The risk is more to him catching some cold or respiratory thing from another cat than from him passing it to another cat. As an adopted guy, he should lead a long and happy life. I give him good nutrition and a good home. He lives here with his “girlfriend”. I have found him to be one of the most amazing and delightful cats ever! He makes me laugh A LOT! He is very affectionate too. Try not to worry. Out of all the cats I pulled from that one colony, he was the only one who tested for FIV. :heartshape:

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one FIV cat. The older Tom that is the one under the blanket. It’s not the threat that some think. Transmission is generally from a cat biting another cat, fighting. I did keep that old fellow and socialized him to be strictly an indoor kitty. The risk is more to him catching some cold or respiratory thing from another cat than from him passing it to another cat. As an adopted guy, he should lead a long and happy life. I give him good nutrition and a good home. He lives here with his “girlfriend”. I have found him to be one of the most amazing and delightful cats ever! He makes me laugh A LOT! He is very affectionate too. Try not to worry. Out of all the cats I pulled from that one colony, he was the only one who tested for FIV. :heartshape:
Thank you so much for sharing! You are really amazing! Wow! :redheartpump: :devilcat2:
Do you think my 2 year old rescue kitty Richi can socialize our new feral kitten? I quarantined her right now for a couple weeks, in the Kitchen. But Richi can see something is happening. He started marking all the rooms, I can smell a bit of urine here and there. ;) Today I was caring him in my arms and showed him the new kitten in the kitchen, inside a playpen. His tail fluffed up so much I got scared. And the kitten started making defensive sounds. Haha! It was cute. I just hope they can live together after this quarantine is over.
And the 2nd kitten was adapted today. :blackcat: He was totally black, we named him Shadow. He was always following mama Daisy like a shadow on the back yard. I think he may get spoiled soon.
Thank you for your wonderful photos! I feel so much better about this whole thing now. I just miss seeing Daisy on my back yard... I tried calling the Humane Society today to check on her and nobody called me back. :oops:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom is right. Keep calling and at different times of day. Rescues are overwhelmed right now. There just aren’t enough volunteers, resources or hours in the day. Just be persistent.
I do think the other kitten can socialize with Richi. It takes time. Don’t be in a hurry to introduce them to each other. Your older kitty needs time to adjust and so does kitten. I have mixed and blended all the rescues that came through here with my resident cats. Old and young, they adapted. I found that some older kitties acted as foster parents or were determined to discipline the new kitten as any adult would when trying to establish the “ house rules.” That could be part of the marking of the house. Slow and steady. I like to scent swap after the quarantine. I use a hair brush on both kitties so they smell like each other. A blanket of towel can be used to rub both kitties and then leave it where they can get to know each other’s smell. As you go through the process, everyone here can give you great tips and help you with intros.
Is Richi neutered? If not, that will help. Do you know if kitten is female? Richi May spray because of that too no matter which sex. When the kitten approached breeding she, others will notice. Lol
Two of my older cats ended up loving all the kittens. Smokey, an older female acted as a mom cat and Purry, a male, wanted to wash and snuggle all the kittens. Every cat is different but Richi may end up grateful for a house mate. Just don’t rush the kitties.