Capturing Feral Mama Cat and Kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I left some food tonight and Daisy's boyfriend stopped by and ate it all. :livid: I try not to feed him and I know he comes at night only. I always fed her in the morning and sometimes at lunch time... I will try that tomorrow.
I don't think I can handle another TNR of her boyfriend! :cringe: Besides HS is still closed. Daisy got lucky to get free spaying because she bit a vet we visited. :ohwell:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Go back to the original routine you had with Daisy. Daisy did get lucky that you were able to get her spayed! I guess that turned out to be a good bite for her and for you, even though it was stressful for you both at the time. Her life will not be filled with the stress of trying to keep kittens safe and fed or of constant pursuit by male cats. I would not be surprised if “boyfriend” is still keeping her company. ;) I saw that with cats here.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. Go back to the original routine you had with Daisy. Daisy did get lucky that you were able to get her spayed! I guess that turned out to be a good bite for her and for you, even though it was stressful for you both at the time. Her life will not be filled with the stress of trying to keep kittens safe and fed or of constant pursuit by male cats. I would not be surprised if “boyfriend” is still keeping her company. ;) I saw that with cats here.
I have a feeling Daisy is not coming back... :bawling::bawling::bawling:
If we TNR-ed her in a day or two it would be ok, and she would not realize what happened. But keeping her at the HS for 14 days was cruel... It's been 4 days and I don't see any signs of her. She was so shy from the start too. Took me long time to get her come close to me and even then she was hissing every time I approached with food. Sorry, I just miss seeing her in my bushes waiting for me every morning.... :confused2: Has anybody had a cat some back after longer time than 48 hours? I guess I have to move on and focus on kittens... Just feel so bad about this whole thing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to be worried! I know that feeling and it’s very hard. I have had them go missing for much, much longer but return. Do you see my avatar? I had a mom and babies that I called “The Gingerbread kitties.” The Mom was here as a kitten and I had tried to rescue her during a storm but after I got her, she vanished so I couldn’t even get her spayed! She was so young that I was terribly worried. Then, one day I saw something dash into the spot where she had lived during that storm. No way! Yes! It washer and she was all grown up! She also had three babies. They were living in a little building that I began to call the Gingerbread house. Two babies were Calico and one was a ginger tabby. Mom was Calico too. I started working frantically to get mom and babies. For weeks they got closer and closer to me. Each day I looked forward to seeing the littlest girl guarding the door of their gingerbread house. Then one morning, they were all gone!! I saw absolutely no trace of any of them. No food gone, nothing. I kept writing on the thread about them. I think everyone had grown attached to them since I put up their photos every day when I saw them in that little building. I thought that something must have scared them away forever. It was true that they had gotten scared but it was not forever.Every day and every night I had searched for them. No sign! Then, suddenly, the kittens reappeared but no mom! After some weeks the mom did come back. I finally had the Gingerbread kitties back. Where had they been? Idon’t know but they were all fine. They must have been eating somewhere else because they were all okay. They returned to the routine we had before and all ended well. Don’t give up. Cats are the very best at survival and at hiding. I actually discovered that the mom had been watching me for a while before she returned. I was only a few feet from her when I finally spotted her again for the first time. If she hadn’t run at just that moment, I still would not have seen her. It took a little time for her to get over being scared but she did. Daisy is probably very nearby. Keep up your routine of putting food
out at the time she would have been there before. She may be coming around at different hours because she got a little nervous but you can try looking for her after dark by using a flashlight. Cat eyes reflect light very well. If you see her boyfriend, look around because she may be close when he is there. :hugs: Give her time.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try not to be worried! I know that feeling and it’s very hard. I have had them go missing for much, much longer but return. Do you see my avatar? I had a mom and babies that I called “The Gingerbread kitties.” The Mom was here as a kitten and I had tried to rescue her during a storm but after I got her, she vanished so I couldn’t even get her spayed! She was so young that I was terribly worried. Then, one day I saw something dash into the spot where she had lived during that storm. No way! Yes! It washer and she was all grown up! She also had three babies. They were living in a little building that I began to call the Gingerbread house. Two babies were Calico and one was a ginger tabby. Mom was Calico too. I started working frantically to get mom and babies. For weeks they got closer and closer to me. Each day I looked forward to seeing the littlest girl guarding the door of their gingerbread house. Then one morning, they were all gone!! I saw absolutely no trace of any of them. No food gone, nothing. I kept writing on the thread about them. I think everyone had grown attached to them since I put up their photos every day when I saw them in that little building. I thought that something must have scared them away forever. It was true that they had gotten scared but it was not forever.Every day and every night I had searched for them. No sign! Then, suddenly, the kittens reappeared but no mom! After some weeks the mom did come back. I finally had the Gingerbread kitties back. Where had they been? Idon’t know but they were all fine. They must have been eating somewhere else because they were all okay. They returned to the routine we had before and all ended well. Don’t give up. Cats are the very best at survival and at hiding. I actually discovered that the mom had been watching me for a while before she returned. I was only a few feet from her when I finally spotted her again for the first time. If she hadn’t run at just that moment, I still would not have seen her. It took a little time for her to get over being scared but she did. Daisy is probably very nearby. Keep up your routine of putting food
out at the time she would have been there before. She may be coming around at different hours because she got a little nervous but you can try looking for her after dark by using a flashlight. Cat eyes reflect light very well. If you see her boyfriend, look around because she may be close when he is there. :hugs: Give her time.
Thank you for your reply! Your kitties are so cute! :heartshape:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Has anybody had a cat some back after longer time than 48 hours? I guess I have to move on and focus on kittens... Just feel so bad about this whole thing
There is a feral cat here (Semi feral, he lets me pet him while he eats) who shows up every day for about a month and then disappears for six months. Daisy will know how to take care of herself and she will know that she's back in her home territory. She could be close by, just laying low for a while.

I hope she shows herself soon.

How are the kittens doing?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Adding my bit of encouragement. I have a feral who showed up DAILY for over a year, then went missing. After FOUR MONTHS I was just adjusting to the fact that something had happened to her, and two weeks ago, there she was. Haven't seen her since, but I know she's out there somewhere!

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! Mama Daisy just came back today!!! :cheerleader: Very unexpectedly too! I just came to the patio and she came from around the corner... There we met! She looks healthy and rested. Probably was tired from kittens before... I fed her and she just doesn't want to leave now. She was seating close to me while I was having my tea outside... I feel so much better about this whole thing. She doesn't seem remember much from the bad days we had together. I am so happy! ❤:catlove: Just wanted to let you guys know, we are OK and still friends.
The kittens are doing great too! I had to get them off wet food to stop their diarrhea though. I do give them occasional boiled egg and some plain boiled chicken. Otherwise dry food. They seem happy and full of energy! Is there a real reason to give wet food instead of cooking for them myself? I was planning to learn how to make my own cat food for Richi anyway this year.
Side note, someone actually approached me about adapting the kittens today and I just could not agree! :lovecat2: I am not ready yet, they are not ready yet and I think I may have to keep them. I've never had 3 cats before but Richi started being such a good dad to them. Playing with them,keeping them in line when needed and little Lucy is copying him all the time. It's adorable. I did want to get a second cat for Richi's company eventually. Maybe 3 cats is not as scary as I thought before? Any thoughts on that?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful! Welcome back Daisy! :clapcat::happycat: I know you are relieved. I agree that she needed rest after kittens and all else. She knows that you were helping her and the babies. I have seen this many times. I’m sure she still catches the scent of her kittens and knows you are taking the load off of her but giving them love. Yay!

Wet food it really important to help hydrate but if they are losing the fluids with diarrhea, it’s counterproductive. Kittens need a high protein diet so having them on kitten specific food might help. Is the diarrhea only happening after the wet food? It may be that particular wet food. You could try a different one. Ingredients may be the problem. Some canned puréed pumpkin might help if you mix it in their food. If it happens other times, it could be a different cause. Cooking for cats is certainly acceptable but you need to make sure they get a good kitty diet. Their are threads here to help you if you go that route.
Adopting kittens out is hard. We get attached and we need to be positive that IF we adopt out, they get the best home. I require a signed contract to protect the kittens. All shelters and adoption centers require that too. If you need help on that, it can be provided.
If you have a happy kitty family there, three kitties is a very reasonable number as long as you can provide for them. Many here have much larger cat families and do just fine. In fact, sometimes it’s easier if the kitties have company and form a cat family along with their human. My Clowder is quite happy. If I separated the bonded kitties they would be quite upset. Some have totally adopted each other. It’s really a very personal decision and should be based on what is best for all involved. If you visited my home, three would seem easy. Lol Take into consideration food, love, vet care, now and in the future and if it all is manageable then follow your heart. As stated, if you can give them a great home and go for it! If you need further help, please ask any questions you have. Keep us updated too.
Yay on finding Daisy! Good girl Daisy! She obviously has a bond with you. I am so very happy about it all! Thank you for giving us the great news! :bunnydance::woo::banana2::heartshape:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wonderful news about Daisy, about Richi and about the kittens too.

:bliss:

Now that Daisy is spayed you can just focus on feeding her, knowing that she's not going to have to go through endless heat cycles and litters of kittens. She'll have a much better life thanks to you.

I'm so happy to hear Richi is enjoying having the kittens around now. Three cats isn't too many. Jcatbird Jcatbird and I both have a lot more than that, as do many others here on TCS. I've always found two to be much easier than one, as they keep each other company. If you can afford three, then why not? It will be nice to know the two kittens are staying together and spending their lives with someone who has done so much for them.

Home cooked food is a good alternative to store bought food, as long as you pay close attention to the ingredients and make sure the cats are getting all the vitamins and minerals they need.

We have a forum about feeding home cooked food, you could ask people there for some advice about recipes.

Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YAY! Best news of the day so far!

About Richie and the kittens...since he enjoys them, and if you are financially able to provide for all three (shots, neutering, day-to-day expenses) without breaking the bank, GO FOR IT! You were thinking about company for him, and there they are...AND HE LIKES THEM!