Captured (hopefully rescued) a stray with an injured leg - advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BEFE3C1F-2B0E-4BE0-9475-33D41D35BB4F.jpeg
Just look at that. Not in a ball. Stretched out and just relaxing. I even have the bedroom door open. My kittens have been in and out and so has my dog. He did hiss at missy (my dog) when she got too close to the tower. But it didn’t seem too bad, and he seems alright if she gets on the bed (hey, it’s her bed 😂). At least, he’ll look away outside and not stare in fear (or else i’d remove her.) That room has been missy’s for a year so I know her smell was overwhelming and is still the dominant scent, so maybe that helped. And he’s still looking mighty relaxed after all that interaction today, and the door being open!

There is a chair just out of frame that I sit in a lot to spend time in there. Winnie keeps going in there to sleep on it today and watch him.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I watched everything and definitely don't see any aggression of any sort. It looks as if they are all just getting to know each other and no one is picking up a strange vibe that is setting them off. You mentioned Tuck not being overly happy, but I would just monitor that for now as it is all new to him. I have had much rockier intros than this and in the end everyone ended up being friends. He just loves that cat tree and looks so happy. Yes, cats are funny about what they will lay on or what texture of food they like. Have you tried any of the Shreds fomulas? I have found that some cats like those more and if you have to crush them it is a little bit easier. The scent of the dog definitely has made him more accepting of her presence and it seems as if Winnie is interested in making a new friend possibly. You have done so remarkably well with him and as I keep saying, I can only imagine what is in his mind as he lays on that cat tree knowing that food is coming when he is hungry and he has friends.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did a little ‘experiment’ tonight. I wanted to see if I could get Winnie really near to them with no one hissing and it worked! I put whipped cream on my pinky and my index fingers. I lured Winnie up the tower with it and eventually they were literally a hands width apart, both licking the whipped cream off my fingers. Not a single hiss! I was actually surprised it worked because he has yet to lick anything off my hands so that was a first. I used whipped cream because it is winnies favorite. I know too much is a no-no.

I discovered she likes it because I have to put some on my dogs food every night or she won’t eat lol. Well. It can be anything - coconut oil, milk, parmesan.. whipped cream squirt is just easy. Winnie always wanted the can.

Also, Tuck has been going in the room to steal his dry food I leave out. I don’t really want him doing that but he isn’t hissing like a loon so i’ve been allowing it. It is at least the same brand of kibble, just the adult version.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put one of my kittens slappy ball towers in the room not really expecting him to mess with it..

It’s been an hour. That hop at the end kills me. 😂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad to read about the continued success with the cats. A lot of people come to TCS because of problems with introducing cats but that does not mean that it has to be the rule. It looks as if you have three sweeties who are happy to accept others. If the whipped cream works, there is nothing wrong with using it as a training tool. All my animals have special little treats they get and I don't worry about it hurting them. He does look so happy with his new toy....far cry from the parking lot! The paw does not seem to hinder him and from watching the video I would also say that I now really do doubt that he is in pain from it.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some updates!

On the people front, he’s still sort of the same. Lately, i’ve been staying with him less hoping it will encourage him to come to me and out of the room. I’ve pretty much been leaving the door open all day now, and he comes out a lot! He doesn’t stay out too long each time but he is getting braver and braver. He’ll run back to his tower but then come back out a few minutes later, at first he only came out maybe twice a day and had to “recover” longer. Sometimes he’ll get stuck under my bed because something scares him and i’ll gently bump him out after a while. Last night in particular was great, he would get scared and go back to his tower but decide to come back out less then a minute later sometimes. This is all with us watching on cams, he still doesn’t like to make much of a move if he can see us. But kittens are fine!

Tuck is still being hissy. I think it’s fear mostly. I did put a multi at feliway in the living room. I think the new kitty might want to play with him... he runs up to him sometimes but crouches down when Tuck hisses at him. It’s kinda sad! But he’s trying. I get the feeling that he really wants to bond with the kittens. Winnie is his better bet I think for now. She is extremely curious of him, and only hisses if he moves too fast for her lol.

I had my husband feed him this morning. And he ate while he held the plate! He’s still very very scared of my husband because it’s been just me for over a month. I’m happy that he ate from him.

We also maybe have a name! Rury. It’s a little weird to say but my husband really likes it, haha. m

My next goal is to leave the door open all night, to stop closing it at all basically. I am not sure if it’s too soon. He has gotten a taste for exploring the house now and I hate shutting the door. This morning he wanted to come out within a few minutes of eating, he was off the perch thinking about coming out. My only really concern at this point is that I’ll wake up and not be able to find him. I do not think any of the cats will fight. Missy may frighten him. But she wouldn’t attack either (she’s a big scaredy cat if they hiss at her, lol.) And he seems more scared of my husband then Missy haha.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The fact that he goes back to his perch and does not hide is very significant. He is really trying to explore the house and get acclimated. Maybe he is actually a friendly guy to start with....his very bad turn in life has scare him...but at the heart of things he might be a friendly cat. It sounds as if he does want to play with Tuck but is deferring to him when he hisses. This may be two male cats adjusting...or at least Tuck adjusting...which is not unusual. I have had male cats become very good friends after starting out with much more commotion than you had with Rury and Tuck. While I have had a couple cat bond quickly to newcomers, most do not and there is an adjustment period. Eating from your husband also shows that he is very workable and accepting; this guy really is coming around much more quickly than many other cats would. Back to the theory that he might have had a home that he lost.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been leaving the door open 24/7 now. I haven't closed it for a few days :) Things are going well, I think. Tucks hissing is improving. He is still very weary, but also maybe getting curious too.

Rury comes out a lot now! I think he actually slept in the living room on the chair most of the night. I was spying on them (I got another camera, lol), and got a few video clips. Later, he was just resting in the armchair while my dog was also in there chewing a bully stick -

2CAA8EAD4C1A_1606899989.JPG

---ooh, as I'm sitting here typing he has come into my computer room with me in here. He never enters in here with me in here! My kittens are both in here on their towers, so he wants to see what they are doing.

...shortly after, Winnie hissed/growled and slapped him a little bit :( It was only when he went up higher and was eyeing the perch Winnie is on. She did not like him coming up to her perch..
Usually she is not the one doing that so a little surprising, but also seems kinda normal? That perch is "her spot". She'll kick Tuck out of it sometimes, too.

He did run away but now he's come back and is sitting in the windowsill. Very close to me. I am shocked!

In other news, I tried to set up the christmas tree..

I had to take it down, because Tuck already bent two branches I have to try to fix, lol.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you done Christmas trees with your cats before? There are some cautions although I have been pretty lucky with my cats and Christmas decorations. It was funny to see the two little cat legs make a jump up into the tree but there can be a lot of dangers in trees and ornaments.

To me, the third video looks like play overtures with cats who are still getting used to each other. When I rescued Jamie he was 4 weeks old and was abandoned. He never learned to play, so when the calico ferals became friendly and wanted in the back door he would run over and bop them on the head as if he was afraid. Now they are best friends and he spends most of the morning playing and wrestling with them.

Overall, this is going really well. Rury is undoubtedly thrilled to have a home and his adjustment has been quite normal for a cat brought in from the streets who does have potential to be a pet. He is exploring, figuring out what and who is safe, and moving into a larger radius in the house. Your dog looks like a big fluff ball and Rury has probably figured that out as well. If he is comfortable enough to sleep in a living room chair, he is definitely adjusting and it sounds as if the behavior of your other two is also very normal for where you are.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you done Christmas trees with your cats before? There are some cautions although I have been pretty lucky with my cats and Christmas decorations. It was funny to see the two little cat legs make a jump up into the tree but there can be a lot of dangers in trees and ornaments.

To me, the third video looks like play overtures with cats who are still getting used to each other. When I rescued Jamie he was 4 weeks old and was abandoned. He never learned to play, so when the calico ferals became friendly and wanted in the back door he would run over and bop them on the head as if he was afraid. Now they are best friends and he spends most of the morning playing and wrestling with them.

Overall, this is going really well. Rury is undoubtedly thrilled to have a home and his adjustment has been quite normal for a cat brought in from the streets who does have potential to be a pet. He is exploring, figuring out what and who is safe, and moving into a larger radius in the house. Your dog looks like a big fluff ball and Rury has probably figured that out as well. If he is comfortable enough to sleep in a living room chair, he is definitely adjusting and it sounds as if the behavior of your other two is also very normal for where you are.
No, this is my first year with cats! Last year was my first year in my first home, and I bought an expensive tree and flocked it, and bought all glass ornaments. LOL. The flocking is toxic and the ornaments would break... so that tree is still in the garage.

This one is also fake, and I’ve purchased shatterproof ornaments. Will unplug it when not around. I have also just received two scccat cans to put around the tree to try and keep them out of it, since they aren’t being gentle with it. Is there anything else I should know?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is your first year with cats? You are doing an amazing job! :clap2: :goldstar::clap2:
Don’t be surprised if you find the tree knocked over a time or two. Lol I love the video! Beware of using tinsel. Cats love it. I am so very grateful to you for caring and rescuing! Your kitties and doggie have a great family.:heartshape:

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is your first year with cats? You are doing an amazing job! :clap2: :goldstar::clap2:
Don’t be surprised if you find the tree knocked over a time or two. Lol I love the video! Beware of using tinsel. Cats love it. I am so very grateful to you for caring and rescuing! Your kitties and doggie have a great family.:heartshape:
Thank you! Yes... these are the first kitties I've ever had. But I have wanted cats for a lonnnnng time if that counts?
I am happy to report the tree made it through the night. I guarded it with two scccat cans, and they seem to work. I also put jingle bells on the lower branches so I could hear if someone was trying to get in it, but I would hear the scccat can first and then no bells, so they never made it to the tree. They haven't even tried to mess with it today. Heh, I don't like scaring them with that but it certainly worked and I don't want them to get hurt from the tree so.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been in the computer room for a while and went to go visit Rury, but to my surprise he was out sleeping on the living room chair again. In the middle of the day! That's a first. I decided not to disturb him and turned around.

Today, when I first woke up and went to the bathroom, the kittens were sitting outside the door crying as usual, and when I opened it Rury was there with them. That door is directly across from his room, so not far from his safe place. A few days ago, he would have bolted immediately.. but he just looked at me like "Oh, thats why they're crying?" and did not run. He is finally starting to realize I won't harm him, I think :redheartpump:

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Aww...
I thought for sure he’d run if I tried to approach him “out in the open” while he was in the living room chair.
Nope...
:cloud9:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that Rury is home. His background must have been one of human and animal interaction as he is adapting so quickly. He really took no more time than any other pet would have to get to know the lay of the land and relax. You should be so proud of yourselves for following your instincts and helping him on that night in the lot.

As for trees, you are really being proactive. Just watch as cats can rethink strategies for what they want. I had a tortoiseshell years ago who got into a crinkle sack as if it were a tank and ram the entire Christmas tree...hole in one, did not even have to bother doing it ornament by ornament.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that Rury is home. His background must have been one of human and animal interaction as he is adapting so quickly. He really took no more time than any other pet would have to get to know the lay of the land and relax. You should be so proud of yourselves for following your instincts and helping him on that night in the lot.

As for trees, you are really being proactive. Just watch as cats can rethink strategies for what they want. I had a tortoiseshell years ago who got into a crinkle sack as if it were a tank and ram the entire Christmas tree...hole in one, did not even have to bother doing it ornament by ornament.
Hahaha that is hilarious! Last night my husband had to guard me while I put the ornaments on the tree. They were really trying to go after everything. At one point I laid a big blue “santa sack” on the chair next to me and continued decorating, then tried to sit something down o top of it and it wouldn’t stay even so I just kept pushing on it until I realized there was a cat in the bag. LOL.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Believe me, they will be very ingenious and are delighted to have a big tall puzzle in the house to solve.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My gosh guys I just can’t believe how well he is doing the past day or so. I am so proud of him. It feels like we have a breakthrough everyday now! Sometimes more then 1!

This was my husband! Listen to the purring, I am shocked he’s already letting my husband pet him like this.

This was tonight. In the living room. With both kittens, the dog, me, and my husband in the room. He was having so much fun with the toy. He probably played for 30 minutes like this. Mostly rolling around on his back, and just his face looked so happy. I was tearing up again!

Just before this he was sitting in the chair again, and he let me sit right next to him, mere inches away. I fed him like that and then started playing with Tuck who was having a meltdown from being so hyper, but I noticed Rury swinging his head around to watch so I let him see the toy. He was so happy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My gut level feeling is that Rury was an abandoned pet, not that ferals I have owned have not responded as well and turned into complete house pets. This is a real Christmas story for him especially. You have all done remarkably well given how this started with a lame cat in a parking lot. He is a beautiful cat and you two little ones are adorable.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, a problem I've noticed for Rury...

He gets stuck on things. A lot. His injured leg, the claws seem to be permanently out, and they just get caught on things. Sometimes he will get stuck to a tower, the floor, anything soft. Usually he will be able to free himself by pulling, but it worries me. And if I try to help him ever, he gets really scared, and will hiss and just pull harder.

I was thinking about maybe something like Soft Paws? I have no idea how they work. Will they stay on with the way his claws are "different"? I think I would have to get a vet to apply them under sedation of some sort, I don't think he would ever allow it right now.

It seems like something I am going to have to address though. I am worried he'll get caught in a hanging position or something, and hurt the rest of his leg. :(

Are Soft Paws in any way harmful? Do they hurt? Is there something else anyone can think of? I would only be doing the one foot.