Captured (hopefully rescued) a stray with an injured leg - advice?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is very kind of you to get him his own heated bed. I still enjoy thinking about what is going through his head after his miserable life on the streets.

You said that the vet gave him Convenia because the paw pad was coming up on the affected foot. Does he appear to have any knowledge of that happening? Licks the area? Seems bothered by it? To me the absence of those behaviors indicate that there is numbness.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another quickie......on pain. Features of body language are the most accurate indicators of pain in a cat. Full-body 'withdrawal'/'shrinking' to as small as they can make themselves is one - you may have heard of "the meatloaf" positioning which is an example (and that, too, can be further refined). Positioning out of sight is another. Ears back, eyes very 'squinted', whiskers down and backward facing are others. There are some excellent assessment tools showing all this - maybe later.

But, honestly, bottom line appears to be that he's in no pain thus far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is very kind of you to get him his own heated bed. I still enjoy thinking about what is going through his head after his miserable life on the streets.

You said that the vet gave him Convenia because the paw pad was coming up on the affected foot. Does he appear to have any knowledge of that happening? Licks the area? Seems bothered by it? To me the absence of those behaviors indicate that there is numbness.
Not that I have witnessed. The most I see him to with that paw is try to kick litter and bury food. Sometimes he stretches the whole leg out infront of him when he thinks no one with watching (but the cam is!), however it is usually tucked close to his chest. I’ve only ever caught him grooming one time the other day, but he may be going further back in the carrier then i can see and doing so.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just another quickie......on pain. Features of body language are the most accurate indicators of pain in a cat. Full-body 'withdrawal'/'shrinking' to as small as they can make themselves is one - you may have heard of "the meatloaf" positioning which is an example (and that, too, can be further refined). Positioning out of sight is another. Ears back, eyes very 'squinted', whiskers down and backward facing are others. There are some excellent assessment tools showing all this - maybe later.

But, honestly, bottom line appears to be that he's in no pain thus far.
74CD5359-5AA7-4299-A406-E29D5A83875D.jpeg 8713D7E6-BC9F-43AD-9C94-4D6E361849FA.jpeg

Would you call either of those meatloafing? Those are his positions 99% of the time that is see him. His eyes are wide when I come to see him but he will start closing them and even go to sleep if I stick around or pet him. He is always out of sight in the carrier or behind the curtain but I did attribute that to the fear.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just finished about 95% of the turkey fancy feast. I don’t think he enjoyed it because he would try to bury it... then realize i guess that he was hungry and start to eat it again. So that’s 2 whole cans by 6pm, I think I was just being anxious earlier. But I won’t give him the turkey flavor again.

I notice when he’s burying the food that his toes splay out (like they should). Is he controlling that or is it just the tendons causing it the stretch when he extends his arm?

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to admit this boy confuses me!

If he is so scared of me / my touch; which I am sure that is he... why does it encourage him to eat? It's seemingly happened 3 times now.

My routine is this... I will bring a plate of food. I'll set it down beside us and lay down on the floor, talk for abit, and then ask if I can pet him (slowly, palm up move my hand towards him, and if doesn't shrink away I will continue). I'll scratch his cheeks and head, and he is still the whole time not really showing signs of liking or disliking the interaction. Then I'll get the plate of food and set it infront of him so he knows it's there, fresh/strong smelling. He often won't even look at it either or seem to sniff. If I just leave it like that, he usually won't eat it til a lot later. I started petting him again after I place the food down and he'll just sort of out of no where bow forward and start to eat mid-pet. I'll slowly take my hand away and he'll continue to scarf down (literal scarfing noises), looking at me occasionally, but doesn't seem to upset that I am there.

I would think maybe he is just so hungry that he couldn't resist but I don't think that is it. I have left the food before and he ignores it, and we just had this interaction again after eating 2 cans today.

It just seems to odd!

Also, would a cat ever sort of lay their head down/into your hand to try to get away from it? Again, he's just confusing. I honestly do not know if he enjoys the petting sessions. Usually he is still. But If I start to scratch/massage his ear, he'll slowly bow his head down and sort of tilt it in my hands direction (not pushing into it, which I know is a good sign)...and I can't tell if he wants it to stop or not. But he has never backed AWAY from it, like he will if I do something like try to scratch his chin. Sometimes I tickle him doing this and he'll sit up and shake his head and stare at me, but his eyes are half-lidded (he looks pissed, but I have come to know the half-lidded look can be relaxation). I feel like I have the impression that the ear scratch just feels really, really good...but I could be way off!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, over-thinking this kind of stuff isn't helpful, I don't think, because what's important is what's in front of you, what he's doing, how he is reacting and later on, how he's interacting with you. You're going faster than I would, though. If he were to feel you've come in too far, he might react poorly/forcefully - and that could set things back. I'd be more passive, allowing him to check me out for himself and assure himself that I am 'safe' and then the rest will be 'icing on the cake'. Now, please, understand that I'm not criticizing, just saying what I would do and saying 'go slow'. And, understand that you seem to have come much further with him than some others here would likely have.

Now that he's experienced this with/from you, try letting him 'take the lead', so-to-speak.

There are a few folks who have really good coaching skills for this stuff, maybe they'll offer some up. That is not my forte!

Your questions around 'meatloafing' in those last pics....no, I wouldn't say so. I see more fear in the first, hunkering down in the second. They were his arrival pix, no ?

Nice progress!

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow... I think I need some advice pronto!
How can I secure this? This is what I woke up to this morning. My stomach absolutely dropped when I went in the room. And then he wasn't in his usual spots (windowsill or carrier), so I thought he went down there. Thankfully I found him in the closet, and when I reviewed the camera footage he had bolted in there when I opened to door.
IMG_5194.jpg

I checked the footage and he pulled this up around 5am. And he was definitely thinking about going down there.
IMG_5197.jpg
IMG_5198.jpg
IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5200.jpg
IMG_5201.jpg

How can I secure this? It is functional. I have the heat on, and the vets get pretty hot to the touch, so tape would probably have problems sticking, and I can't put anything ontop of it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that he is not meatloafing at all and see what he is doing as early signs of affection toward you. If he did not want you to be there, he would react differently. Slowing down will give him a little time to process what is happening and I don't think that you will lose any ground with him as he won't sense it as meaness or rejection. Cats are solitary and like their own space, even friendly ones.

I am not sure about the splaying of the toes and if it means that there is some use or feeling in the foot but I still believe that it is not causing pain.

As for the heating vent, screwing it to the floor would be best if someone can do a nice job but that might not be possible. Can you put something heavy like bricks on the side of it so he can't move it. It looks to me as if there are a few inches where something heavy could be placed without compromising the heat. I would try to do something to prevent him climbing in there as soon as possible, even if it means relocating him to another room.

I just googled "heating duct is not secure on floor" and the first suggestion was screws. Even if you don't own, a moveable heating duct probably should be secured. They also suggested double sided tape or velcro which sounded better to me. I have doubled sided velcro on a lot of things in my house for earthquake safety and it is quite secure and strong.

You can also google "childproofing floor vents" and I found some other suggestions there but not sure they would work as well with a cat.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like the velcro idea! I don't have any on hand, but I have rocks outside. Lol. If we can think of nothing else, I'll definitely bring in some rocks today. I'll order some Velcro from Amazon right now. Hubby said he might can drill through it to secure it down. I worry that's really going to freak kitty out though. Even if we make the holes outside (the metal drill bit is going to be LOUD), drilling of the screws will have to take place in the room and it is also very loud. Hubby works at a heating & air conditioning place. I thought he would have some more ideas!! :lol:

And, okay, I guess I will slow things down with him a bit. I haven't saw that he really wants me to, so I have just been continuing things. I do guess reading over the post it sounds like I'm constantly petting/pestering him! But I only go in there a few times a day to bring food and clean the litter. Each time I interact with him for 5 or so minutes. I'll start not acknowledging him at all when I go to tend to his food/litter sometimes?

He did sniff my finger today for the first time. Like, distinctively turned his head to sniff for a few seconds; I know he obviously has smelled me before even if he didn't turn his head towards anything. This was a very clear head turn and slight tip forward and I saw his nose going right near my finger. Only a few seconds, but he hasn't even done that with food before (including shrimp I boiled!)\

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as an immediate temporary fix, I would use 4 pieces of 2 inch duct tape (any available width and really, any type of tape would work as an 'emergency' measure). Use those along each edge of the cover (proper name "register"), running the tape along the outer 1/2 inch of the cover (the coolest areas of the cover)....when you're cutting the pieces, add an inch to each length, when you fix the tape on, have 1/2 inch of tape 'hanging' over the ends so that at each corner there will be a double layer of tape.

Yes, the vent cover will be hot...but, you'll be using the coolest areas...plus...it's not called duct tape for nothin' :flail:

Personally, I think that will actually serve as a longer, intermediate fix - just keep your eye on it to see if he's back there 'working' on it again.

A brick across each end, but, with something underneath them to prevent them from sliding off/around - such as rubber shelf liner or even made from loops of adhesive tape - would be my second choice.

The permanent fix would be two 1 1/2 inch screws in the center of each end and fastened into the sub-floor. However, as the holes will need to be drilled first.......the noise of the drill will likely upset him. All of this has already raised his anxiety - I'd be leaving that fix for a time when he's 'away'. The duct tape will do the trick till then.

If you need to shop for the tape, don't go with el cheapo brands. Get a small roll of good quality product. (Everyone should have a roll of duct tape around the house, anyway :agree:).

Now..........you gotta post a pic of your completed project.........so we can grade y'a:crackup:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that if you get the good duct tape it will hold long enough to do a proper job later when the cat won't freak out from the noise. That is a good point as many cats are very reactive to construction/gardening sounds and this cat may think that his world has just fallen apart.

It really sounds as if he is responding to you and certainly use your own judgment about how quickly and often to approach him. A few times a day, for food and litter and a little visit seems to be working.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bahaha. I will probably get a failing grade for doing a neat job with tape 😂 I don’t think I have any in the house. Just masking tape. Which doesn’t stick well. I will ask hubby to bring some home. You’re right that it will be on the coolest parts of the register.

I brought lunch just now and he was sitting in the window. I took a picture because of how he was sitting on his foot.

947FFEF8-D609-476A-8903-CF9D1C7C33F0.jpeg

Sorry for the bizarre blurring my phone did. I took it with portrait mode because he was looking mighty pretty. His other leg is not misshapen like that lol.

I don’t think he’s feeling that foot...

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gawd, he's really a neat looking cat!

'Just thought of something else, too. Lately, in some of the other threads, there's been a 'rush' of folks using toothbrushes rather than hands/fingers with these cats - they will mimic a cat's tongue's action while grooming, like mama's grooming. The cats love it and, of course, it builds and reinforces the bond/relationship. Do you have an old brush lying around? ('should be one of those in everyone's house too!) Try that, just don't get him over-stimulated - do you know about that?

All below was written before fionasmom posted......then the phone rang, so now, a couple of hours later, I'll just post it as is (was):

What.................he WORKS in HVAC.............and HE didn't consider DUCT TAPE..........OMG !!!!!!!!!!

OK, enough on that, I guess.

No, don't ignore him, always acknowledge him, speak softly, make like you're talking to a baby, too. (I can really get into it with my guys - you should see the looks I get sometimes!) Oh, and whispering, OMG, try suddenly switching to whispering in the middle of talking to him....and, just watch the look you'll probably get - it'll probably crack you up! If I could possibly do it, I'd be spending time in there with him too. I might go in, lie/sit on the floor and read or do something else - even 'surfing' (the Internet does not really have an 'end', you know :lol:)

Anyway, the more time together, the better.

OK, off to feed cats.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be FAIR, he is the office manager, and not really involved with “the industry” 😂 !

I have lots of toothbrushes. I always save them for cleaning or art. I have unopened packs too. I didn’t think about trying one, I definitely will!

I can certainly sit in the room longer. I just wasn’t sure he enjoyed it very much. He won’t really come out at all if I do that, and when I see how much he moves around when he’s alone (going to the litter, his carrier, going between windows, sometimes going to investigate out of camera), i’ve been really torn on staying in there!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is just beautiful and the look on his face as he peers out at the world from the safety of his room is heartwarming.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally secured a storage bin today. It is shallow, but really long. Longer then I wanted, but for some reason, these types of shallow bins are out of stock everywhere! I think the length will help accommodate his leg, though. I filled it with litter and then poured the litter (cleaned out) he has been using ontop. After that, I was out of litter, so I just had to take the old pan out. I hope he still uses it.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Picture of the new, extra long litter area.
And he’s laying on the new self warming mat :)

Hasn’t gone into the carrier since I replaced the bed with a new one. It is one I just bought so it doesn’t smell like my kittens. His old bed really, really stank - pretty sure he urinated in it so I really needed to clean it. I hope he accepts the new bed in there since I know he felt comfortable in there.

BE72DDCC-0FB8-48A8-A925-C1C10DA2DFBE.jpeg C2BF7152-F395-492F-9C0B-9E59A9E297E1.jpeg

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like we had a nice interaction tonight. It's almost time for bed, so I got his meal ready. I decided to also put some water in it, I added 2 tablespoons because I have yet to see him drink water. I DO see water spilled sometimes, which makes me think maybe he is drinking but the camera isn't picking up that movement for some reason. Regardless, I've read that boys can't really have enough water. Anyhow, I also heated it up for a few seconds (which I have been doing with all his meals), and he seemed to really enjoy it. He ate much more, about 80%. Usually eats about half and eats more later.

And, it was again with the pet-to-eat thing. I let him see the food and placed it in front of him. He just looked at it. I wanted to see if he would eat on his own but I sat there for like, 6 minutes, and he made no move to. So I slowly moved my hand and stroked his forehead, and then he almost immediately started to eat. Still not sure what this means!

After he was finished, I moved the plate and just laid on the floor in-sight of him for nearly 30 minutes. I talked sometimes but mostly just browsed the phone. Before leaving, I tried petting him again - usually, when he is where he is (behind the curtain, free to escape me), he'll back away or leave entirely but he did not this time. I was petting him for a little bit, and he moved, and I thought he was going to go, but he just adjusted his body into what I interpreted as a more relaxed position - brought his back leg forward, instead of having all his limbs tucked safely away. Then he laid his head down and I heard light snoring. So, he fell completely asleep while I pet him. Not long after, his toes were twitching, so he was dreaming.

I didn't catch the snoring or toe twitching, but just a few seconds of the petting, because I was so surprised he adjusted to lay like that, and seemed to fall asleep!

Here he was sitting in the window earlier. I just thought he looked so handsome here, so I wanted to share :)

He got a little iffy on the phone near the middle, but decided it was alright, and continued watching outside.

Also happy to report I saw him use the new litterbox. He is much less cramped in there now.