Captured (hopefully rescued) a stray with an injured leg - advice?

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling he’s going to be this way just based on how much he is seemingly to get into our pets now! Tonight it was so hard to leave. I brought him some food and after he ate pet some, he was in the windowsill. He hopped down and so thought he was going to leave, but he just seemed to want to get more comfy on the bed under the window. He stretched out and again kept going on his side and back but couldn’t quite commit to it. I just sort of freeze my hand when he does that because I can tell he kinda doesn’t realize he’s doing it and probably isn’t ready for belly scratching? Anyhow when I did that he’d throw his head back and rub it into my hand clearly upset that i’d stopped lol. Tonight he started kneading the bed while I pet him. Purring away. Kept laying his head fully back to stare into my eyes. It was too much. I made sure to squint and slow blink when he did that. I’d stop petting him and lift my hand away to see if he was ready for me to leave... but he just kept nudging.

I’ve teared up twice today! And that is usually not me! Seeing him playing so carefree earlier and the biscuit-making tonight I know is a huge sign of content. Maybe it’s different if you bring in a stray that you don’t suspect was severely abused... but just thinking what he might’ve gone through is too much. He’s obviously so so sweet.
This is great news! You are awesome! Thank you so much for rescuing this cat. Patience and persistence certainly pays off. This world needs more ppl like you! :heartshape:

My boy Teddy was semi-feral and very skittish when I first recued him... he would bite me, scratch me and run from me. 5 months have passed and he is now an affectionate fur ball who loves laying right next to and on me, purring, head bumping, making biscuits all over my chest and legs and nudging my nose and chin. I can feel the gratitude, love and affection emanating from him. These animals are an amazing gift.

Here's my boy Teddy. You can see where his abscess/infection was on his right hind leg. It's now perfectly healed. He was 7lbs when rescued, now he is almost 10lbs.
IMG_1538.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is great news! You are awesome! Thank you so much for rescuing this cat. Patience and persistence certainly pays off. This world needs more ppl like you! :heartshape:

My boy Teddy was semi-feral and very skittish when I first recued him... he would bite me, scratch me and run from me. 5 months have passed and he is now an affectionate fur ball who loves laying right next to and on me, purring, head bumping, making biscuits all over my chest and legs and nudging my nose and chin. I can feel the gratitude, love and affection emanating from him. These animals are an amazing gift.

Here's my boy Teddy. You can see where his abscess/infection was on his right hind leg. It's now perfectly healed. He was 7lbs when rescued, now he is almost 10lbs.
View attachment 357639
Aww Teddy! That’s so wonderful. It is great to see that they can definitely turn around like this, thank you for sharing. Thankfully we haven’t had any bites or scratches, I expected at least some scratches.. but so far, it was just two hisses the first 1-2d days. I’m really glad about that!

Here was something from today. I was trying to encourage him to “make a move” towards me instead of always approaching him. Should zi just continue how I’m doing now? Obviously he’s liking the pets. With the purring and kneading and rolling and head rubs I think that’s pretty clear! But he absolutely won’t initiate or come out towards me yet.

Bonus:

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are making great progress and I am tearing up as well reading about his new life and newfound happiness. Since you have had such luck with him, I don't think that refining anything is necessary since nothing is going wrong. I would continue at the same pace and let him continue that way as well. He is so happy and is making huge strides in trusting you.

It is absolutely more heartrending when they have been abused....and you have no doubt that something happened to your boy. I don't know that I ever rescued an abused cat, certainly hungry and desperate, but in one piece. I did rescue two abused dogs...in one case I witnessed the abuse and intervened and in another the circumstance in which I found him was clearly abuse. They were always different toward me and I always had a softer spot in my heart for them when I thought of what they went through.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't updated in a while, things are pretty much going the same. We have had some baby steps the past few days, but I do feel we've hit a bit of a wall at the same time. He's just so unsure about leaving the carrier when I am around!

The great news is he has started playing with me a bit, instead of only feeling comfortable to play at night when he is alone. I have found I can get him VERY interested by scratching toys on the side of his carrier, I suppose it sounds like a mouse or something! He'll pop his head out to look at the noise, paw at the toy. That's how we were playing for a few days, but today I was actually able to completely lure him out! He didn't really continue to play when he was out, and was sort of unsure what to do with himself, but then he went over to his warming bed instead of going back into the carrier, and fell asleep there until I left the room.

I also wanted to try a new dry food with my kittens that has less carbs, and I picked up an 'adult' version as well, to feed him. It's cheaper and has about 10%+ less carbs then the other dry I was feeding. So far it is a hit with all 3 cats, but I was especially surprised because stray kitty (I really need a name for him...!) actually took some directly from my hand (first time, he wouldn't take treats or wet food from my hands), and then almost darted out of the carrier to the bowl.

Here was some play action!

Don't mind the litter scattered about..he is so, so messy lol

I also put one of my (unwashed) pillowcases in his carrier. I am sure it is very uh, fragrant with my scent. Hoping that will help to associate my scent with safety some more, since that is his safe place.

Last edited:

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do we think...
Is this a “I want back out there’ cry, or ‘i’m lonely and bored come back even though it’s scary’ cry?

He did this last night and then again tonight. Each time was a few hours past my last visit (3am here).

It sounds so sad 🥺

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are still making great progress with him. In the first video he looks really engaged and relaxed with the toy and is enjoying the game. He will continue to have the little regressions or insecurities for a long time but that does not mean that he is not moving forward. Cats have funny quirks as well, including cats who have been pets for a long time. Of the twin calicos I adopted, one will rub my nose with her nose and the other one seriously dislikes any attention directed at her face.

The cry may be asking to be let out. That does not mean that he should be or that he is reasoning this through in the same way that you would. I just ignore those cries and continue on. He is not unhappy but probably thinks that now that he feels better it might be fun to go out again. There could be something interesting at the window, even other causes.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
progress on the cat tower!
Just need to get the carpet now. I was letting them test if it was sturdy 😊 C6B1B660-49ED-4B30-AA3D-338A7C94ECF5.jpeg

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When do you think a good time to try to introduce everyone would be?

In my mind I wanted to wait until he was comfortable with me to do it. Right now, he still runs to his carrier if he’s out in the room and I enter, or if for some reason he thinks he can’t “make it” to the carrier before I attack him (since i’m sure that’s what he thinks will happen!), he’ll hiss and edge his way to the wall. If that happens I usually can squat and he’ll calm down, standing up is just too much for him. I’ve obviously made a lot of progress with him but it’s also obviously a lot to go!

So I was wondering if my kittens may help him. He’s been crying at night more often now and he often sits by the door and seems to be listening to my kittens play. He is also obviously very playful, he spends a large portion of the night throwing around his toys in there and he has started playing in the daytime, too. He’ll play with me a tiny bit but nothing like when he is alone.

Tonight Tuck was banging on the door and crying before I could tell him to stop.. but stray-kitty was just sitting on the other side seemingly not afraid. If maybe companionship from his own kind will help more then me I don’t want to keep that from happening!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Under Cat Articles you will find information on introducing cats to one another. I would let him go at his own pace and not be discouraged if at first he, or your kittens, don't immediately take to one another. By this time, all the cats should have the "house smell" which goes a long way to making cats think that they belong in the same place. Don't take his safe room and belongings away as he may want to retreat to them which will help to reinforce that he is safe. He may welcome companionship but don't leave them alone unsupervised until you know how everyone is going to react and how and if his foot plays any part in his relationship to other cats.

That is a lovely cat tree....you really could sell them and your kittens are so cute expecting it to be finished.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My gosh this took so long to carpet, my fingers are sore lol. But it’s done! Not perfect but I like it! I hope he does.

E563B4F5-6352-463D-9135-BD2981F4211C.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Looks pretty darn perfect to me! You could probably sell these if you made some extras.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you fionasmom fionasmom ! It was fun to build but getting the carpet on it was a nightmare, lol! I did not have the right tools I imagine. I think I needed a box cutter, but all I had was like, a mini version I used for my art supplies. Scissors were useless.

IMG_5479.jpg
Hes not comfortable checking out the top yet, but he seems to love that second step and has been laying there all day. I also did put foam under the step carpet :)

So, when I got my first kitten earlier this year (winnie), I had intentions to feed her the best I could afford. That was I guess what would be considered mid-range with a few high-end options in rotation. It was actually difficult to find a few brands for her because she was such a picky kitten.
When we got Tuck, I had to cut most of the "high-end" options out because it was just too expensive to feed two like that. Also two kittens, I guess, who eat a lot more.
Now with this boy we rescued from the streets... I think I'm going to have to downgrade us once again. It makes me sad, but I want to keep feeding wet food, and unfortunately I can't feed 3 cats expensive wet food :( There is a reason I had to DIY a cat tower!

Right now the kittens are getting Tiny Tiger pates (turkey and beef are the only flavors they like), Fancy Feast pates (turkey), and I've discovered they REALLY love Friskies Prime Fillets, which I know isn't as healthy/calorie dense as the pates but they won't touch the pates. A few times a week they'll get a Merrick purrfect bistro rabbit pate, or a merrick backcountry kitten pouch. However I bought those before the addition of a 3rd cat, not sure I can buy them again. The friskies was a very new addition, and I have been watching their poo, I was worried about the wheat gluten, but so far it has been fine.

The stray cat I've been feeding Tiny Tiger mostly. I get the variety pack of chicken, turkey and beef and the kittens HATE the chicken but he eats it up. But it only comes in 3oz cans. I've been trying to give him some Friskies as well - much bigger cans - he doesn't like the prime fillets, or rather, he licks all the gravy and leaves the meaty bits until he is really hungry... however, the pates seem to not agree with him. He seems to be getting runny stool every time I try the Friskies pates. The biggest difference in the Tiny Tiger pates, and Friskies, I think, is the Carrageenan in Friskies. I think he must be sensitive to it, so I do not want to keep trying it. Prime Fillets does not contain Carrageenan, but it does have wheat gluten, however his tummy seems fine with that, when he eats it..but he doesn't like them.

Are there any pates similar in cost to Friskies without Carrageenan? I can get a 24 pack from Chewy of 5.5oz cans for $13. Tiny Tiger is $13 for 24 3oz cans.. so the Tiny Tiger is nearly double the price per ounce.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He looks so comfortable there! Maybe the second step will be his favorite and that is fine. As I have said, he cannot believe his good luck.

There are a lot of formulations of Friskies and I have never compared ingredients in all of them. Of the ones I have in the house right now for the outdoor cats, I do not see carrageenan in any of them. I have the gravy formulations, shreds, and a few others. Shreds are very popular with a lot of cats and I wonder if you sort of mashed it up a little if he would not just lick off the juice...same with the Prime Filets....if you could make it harder to just lick around you might be home free with it.

Many people here consider Fancy Feast to be very acceptable, along with Tiny Tiger, for cats. I feed primarily Fancy Feast formulas with a couple others thrown in for variety, as you do.

There are some very knowledgeable people here in regards to food issues. You can post that question in the forum dedicated to that and you will probably get a lot of responses.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know why I didn't think of smashing up the filets. I'll try that tonight and see if he eats it better! Thanks for the idea! :)

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we had An Event tonight and... I think it was overall positive? Actually, it went a lot further then I anticipated!

I decided to open the door. I don’t have a baby gate but I have a dog kennel and I stood on its side. My kittens are kinda scared of it and I didn’t think he would come near it. Winnie spent a long time laying infront of the gate staring into the room and sniffing. She was so relaxed and non-threating that I made a snap decision to just let her in the room. He was up on his tower so, pretty “safe”.

She slunk her way into the room, obviously knowing something new was there. When she finally saw him in the tower... there was no hissing! From either cat. No nothing, really. Winnie continued to sniff and he just watched her. I was mostly watching on the camera because he is a lot more at ease if he doesn’t see us, but I was literally seconds away if something went down. Eventually she came back out, and he was a little scared because he hopped down to go into the closet area. Winnie went back in when she heard him move. She got up on the bed and was watching him. When he wouldn’t come out she jumped down. He thought she left the room and almost immediately came out to go to the litter box. Winnie went back and eventually they were nearly face to face. He just hoped over her onto the tower and Winnie just watched him. I never saw or heard anything aggressive. I got the second half of the interaction on camera! It’s a bit long.

Well, after this, probably about 30 minutes later? I left the gate ajar so Winnie could go back in. I look over and...
281620EA-77E1-42A6-AA98-452A945DE866.jpeg

He came to the door! Completely shocked me! That’s Tuck also. He is still very unsure lol. Stray kitty got a little nervous and went back but..

23002364-39FB-46C3-B2F0-5A004B6D791A.jpeg 90EA13FE-795C-4984-89A7-3196513246A6.jpeg 9712FAA6-743A-4066-BF16-AE27AD79F90D.jpeg
That was about 30 minutes later again. He came COMPLETELY out! Winnie did not seem to mind and he didn’t even really acknowledge that she was there. He then went down the hall to my bedroom and that was actually so unexpected so the door was open and he went under my bed. I thought oh crap he’s never gonna come out, but he came right back out and hobbled back to his room. Winnie followed him the whole time but again, she just seemed very curious.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s the setup about an hour later. Winnie isn’t obsessed and everything seems okay 👌He’s in the window. Also him being able to see us moving around in here but not approaching him seems helpful!

AA5CEFB8-3A80-4682-9CB0-8578AF4AC3F1.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had that exact same thing happen on occasion and I am so glad that things were so smooth for your two. It depends on so many things...he knows her scent and she knows he has been in the house, both may be completely inclined to be sociable to other cats, you took things slowly so they processed it all. This is just great and shows how well he is acclimating and how much your little girl is willing to accept another cat. She is adorable.

Another thing you can try with food is taking the more expensive brand and mixing in just a little bit to flavor it and see what happens.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had that exact same thing happen on occasion and I am so glad that things were so smooth for your two. It depends on so many things...he knows her scent and she knows he has been in the house, both may be completely inclined to be sociable to other cats, you took things slowly so they processed it all. This is just great and shows how well he is acclimating and how much your little girl is willing to accept another cat. She is adorable.

Another thing you can try with food is taking the more expensive brand and mixing in just a little bit to flavor it and see what happens.
That’s a good idea with the food! I sort of did that last night. He had some Tiny Tiger left on his plate and I added a can of Prime Fillets on it. I mashed it up as much as I could with a fork. He ate most of it, but this morning there was still a good amount of meat pieces left. Maybe 10-15%? I don’t know if it’s that he doesn’t like them or if it’s just hard to lap them up the way he likes to eat and so he just gives up 🤷‍♀️

I’m honestly surprised it’s Winnie that seems to be most okay with the situation. I mentioned before I think but when we brought Tuck home she was so mean. I thought she wanted to kill him! But it only lasted for a few days and now they are inseparable. To have NO hissing or growling from her was so weird! Instead Tuck is the one hissing and seems more upset by the situation. And he’s the absolute lovebug that accepted Winnie right away and never even flinched at her rudeness lol. I may need some help getting him to accept this kitty.

90D0D44C-7DCB-40CD-BDC6-080F86E41CA9.jpeg

He’s in the top perch today! He has spent 99% of the day there. I removed the bed and he was much more inclined to go up there. Cats!

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, a little interpretation time? :)

I went in the room to read for a bit and left the door slightly ajar so one of the kittens could come in if they wanted. A while later Winnie came in.

If you turn it up loud, you can hear him “squeaking” at her. He didn’t seem too alarmed or upset so to me it sounded friendly / hopeful? Is that wrong?

Also, when Winnie got out of his site a few times he made that squeaky noise and jumped down to run to find her. That startled Winnie and did make her hiss, but it seemed more of a “woah there buddy, that’s too fast.”, he would immediately sit down and give her distance, then go back to his perch. She only hissed twice, and each time was only when he ran quickly to her, and she didn’t continue after he sat down. He did the squeaky. poses several times. At first I thought it was Tuck in the other room, it was so quiet!

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeling happy with our interactions this morning. When I come in the feed him, he typically runs to his carrier or if he’s in the tower he still arches up a bit like he’s thinking of running. Today there was none of that. He eyed me warily but he didn’t attempt to run away. I fed him (I always stay right beside and hold the plate), and then cleaned his litter. I went back to see if petting was okay, and it was, and he got really into it. Purring and pushing into my hand. Those moments are rare with him! It went on for a long time :)

I feel like the cat tower has helped immensely. He has stopped using the carrier, so he is no longer holing himself in a cave all day. He sleeps on the tower and watches outside. He has not been crying at night. He just looks very relaxed, now. I am SO happy he’s moved on from the carrier!