Captured A Stray Cat

sura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
work for a sanitation company and there was a cat living in the garage that houses all the garbage trucks. A bunch of us were feeding it and it was friendly towards us, letting us pet it, bumping it's head into our hands. It wasn't a place for a cat to live, it's fur was beginning to mat and it was covered in dirt and grease, coolant and hydraulic fluid were all over the floor and it would just roll around in all of this. I ended up tricking it and capturing it and brought it to a vet where they brought it up to date with vaccinations, checked it out and gave it a bath. It had to be sedated to do this. The vet thinks she is about 4 years old. I then brought it home and it's been under my couch for almost 2 weeks already. It'll eat scarcely and when it first came into my house it used the litter box right away but now it just goes under the couch. I'm able to pet it by reaching under the couch and it lets me do this and rolls over onto my hand. Comments or suggestions if this is normal for her to be under the couch for this long? And why she stopped using the litter box? Thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like it could be anxiety from being in a new environment. You could maybe try a Feliway diffuser, which mimics the pheromones that cats produce when they're content, which helps cats relax. If this doesn't help, you could ask your vet, maybe she would benefit from kitty Prozac. You've done a great thing by rescuing this kitty and caring for her!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would confine her to a smaller space. She hides because her instincts are telling her that she is safest in a cave. The confined area will allow her to establish a "base camp" from which she can advance. It sounds as if she has become frightened of a scent outside of the couch, or perhaps had a painful elimination in the litterbox. Bless you and your coworkers for rescuing her & giving her a chance :vibes::vibes:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First things first - - - what a WONDERFUL thing you've done by taking this kitty in and giving her a "forever home." It sounds like the environment where you work definitely wasn't good for her at all - - so a big BLESS YOU for taking her in. Chances are she wouldn't have survived at the sanitation company garage- whether being accidentally hit by the large trucks I'm sure you use, or getting into some kind of chemical -- -my feeling is you've saved her life. Both by giving her a safe indoor home, and by giving her the gift of love and protection. She doesn't understand all of that yet - but she will. You've probably at least tripled her lifespan by bringing her home! And it's fantastic that she let herself be touched before - - -she should socialize fairly quickly! Many of us have started with TOTALLY feral cats/kittens - - meaning they've never been touched by humans, and have no desire to ever be!

First - I'm SO glad you got her to the vet immediately. It's great she has no major health problems! And don't be panicked that she had to be sedated for all of that - especially when you throw in a bath! Often even the sweetest, most socialized cats become whirling, teeth-gnashing beasties at the vet - - throw in a bath and I think ours would also need to be sedated! We had one that we'd very rarely have to have groomed, but when we did - she would get so traumatized that we had to pay a groomer with a grooming truck to come to us - and they still had to sedate her to bathe and groom her! And maybe I missed it - but did they think she was already spayed? And if not - did they do so? If she's now going to be 100% inside, it's not quite as critical, but still highly recommended for many reasons Such as unfixed cats try MUCH harder to escape to get outside to mate - yes, even females (I can't tell you haw many times I've heard "Why should I spay her? She's always indoors - she'd never try to get outside." And then a month later you're having a conversation with that friend that usually goes something like this "She never wanted to try to get outside before - but suddenly she was driving us crazy to get outside - - and when we finally found her, she was pregnant. I can't keep 10 kittens, what do I do?" Female cats - when in heat - have such a drive to mate that they'll try every way they can think of to get outside and find a male. I've heard people say their cat pushed a window screen out to get outside, or shot past them every time they tried to leave the house, etc. And unsupervised visits to the great outdoors not only puts her at risk of becoming pregnant (and bringing many little unwanted kittens into this world!!!!), but also puts her at a higher risk of several kinds of cancer. Plus, having a cat inside that's in heat is just not fun - - - lots of yowling, begging to go out, spot bleeding, etc. They're just doing what they're being told to do instinctually, but spaying takes all of that desire away!

As far as her behavior of not leaving under the couch - including using that space under it as a litterbox - says to me that right now, it's her only safe place. SHe's very overwhelmed. It's VERY positive that she still responds in a friendly way towards you - - - - it just sounds like she's just too scared to move from under this place she's determined is her "safe spot." Cats really HATE "doing their business" near where they sleep, eat or drink - so if she's going under there, it's because she's way too scared to come out of her "sanctuary."

Do you have any other animals? That could play a part in all of this. But the big thing I'd recommend - that has (so far) always worked for me in socializing, is to isolate her and socialize her in the isolated/limited space until she adjusts. The best way is to do a two-step isolation if possible (you can skip step one if you have no way to do that).. If you have a small (the smaller for now the better) spare room (like a bedroom, office, or even large second bathroom - - first you need to "cat proof" it. That means taking away (temporarily!!!) anything from that room that she could hide under, in, or behind. Basically - you want to control where she is - where she makes her "safe den." And it needs to be someplace where you can access her, to do even more of the petting, etc. IF possible, that means (if it's a spare bedroom) - if possible, remove the bed frame and place the mattress directly on the floor (so she can't get under). And don't forget - - - furniture can all go back to normal once she's more socialized and less frightened. Block off anything else she can hide under or behind, etc. (you'll be amazed at the tiny spaces a scared cat can squeeze into!). We always start by first placing the scared kitties in an extra-large dog crate (Great Dane size), with their carrier inside with the door removed (it can function as a safe "den" but you can easily see her in it AND pet her). Also inside the crate needs to go the litterbox, and food and water (placed away from the littler boxO. I use a Feliway wall diffuser in "her" room (they're odorless to humans - but contain a cat pheromone that calms most cats - -although they do take a bit of time to work, so don't expect an instantaneous calming reaction, and can be found at most pet stores, etc., and even some grocery stores). I have a tv in our "bedroom/kitty room" - - so if I'm not in there - I turn the tv to something quiet like HGTV...but a radio turned to either classical or soft-spoken talk radio like NPR works too. The radio/tv serves two purposes - it adds an almost "white noise" to the room so that she can't fixate on every tiny footstep sound or floor squeak scares her...AND it just plain keeps her company, while teaching her that even strange human voices don't mean impending doom is on the way. :) I also put a small box with a very soft towel, or piece of something like chenille, inside - - and inside the transport carrier - - to give her a soft place to cuddle and sleep. And even though she's not a kitten, I still have good luck even with adults I'm socializing if I also place like a small stuffed animal in there to cuddle with. I also place a sheet over the crate - - covering the back half completely - - -again giving her a feeling of "den" that feels safe.

If you don't have a crate, I do all of the above, but just without the crate. I love utilizing the crate - but utilize what you can! It'll all work out in the end!

I always announce myself before opening the door with a soft-spoken little "sing song 'I'm here with food and yummies for ______" so that I don't scare her when I come in. And I never come into the room without something that will be a treat - - whether it's a toy to play with, food, treats, etc. Gerber's jarred baby food (yes, human baby food) Stage 2 Chicken (just make sure it has no onions in it - - - it's toxic to kitties) is incredibly smelly, but it's ADORED by most kitties!!!!!! I offer it on a long-handled spoon (like an iced teas spoon) so I don't have to get right on top of her to give it to her. It'll usually tempt them out of anywhere to get at the Gerbers!

Make sure she has safe playthings. It helps to keep her busy - - and it helps her to realize your place is fun! And spend as much time with her as you can. I work from home - so I can do this, but I take my laptop in our "kitten room" and do most of my work with the kitty, and I also go in and read, but read aloud. You'll feel like an idiot for a bit - - -but it helps her get used to you and your voice.

One last thing (sorry so long BTW!) -- -you might also try using either a "Cat Attract" type litter just for the time being - - or put a little bit of dirt on top of the litter in the box. I only do that if I have a cat that won't use the box - - - I have a feeling that once she feels a little safer, the litter box won't be an issue :)

It sounds like you're already way ahead of the curve as far as socializing - - - she definitely already cares for you. She's just scared. Remember that what kept her alive for so long was a healthy dose of fear when it came to new sounds, etc. But it sounds like she is already bonded with you - - - and once you get her over the hump of being fearful of her new surroundings - - - you're going to have a wonderful friend for life. Remember - if she's in the living room -- that may be a room YOU love, but it's also probably a room with alot of traffic, etc. Right now she needs some quiet time so that she can adjust at her pace.....and some more loving from you (and some wonderful treats like the Gerber's Baby Food Chicken!).

So good luck - - - and don't be afraid to ask questions! There are alot of very caring, and very knowledgeable people on this site....and all are welcome to help you! And PLEASE --- keep us posted!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick replies back, I'll definitely try the diffuser. She has been spayed already, her ear is clipped and a coworker said that's a international sign which my vet confirmed when we brought her in. She is staying in a spare bedroom now so I'll definitely think about removing the couch and replacing it with either a Great Dane cage or a giant moving box and put a bed inside it. I did have a dog that passed away in April, is it possible that she is still smelling her scent in the house and that's what's scaring her? Other then that I have no other pets. And I'm gonna try playing some talk radio in the room when no one is home either. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know the progress.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will most definitely smell your dog's scent. Over time, she will realize that the dog is no threat. Condolences on losing your dog, by the way.

sura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a update, she's starting to get a little more friendlier and acting how she did in the garage. She started head butting my hand under the couch and rubbing against it but she still refuses to leave. I have a large cage coming today and I may or may not put her into it. The bigger issue is her going to the bathroom. She last peed on Monday and hasn't pooped since Sunday. When she did pee it was a lot, so I'm not sure if she just doesn't go because she's scared or if it's a bigger issue. She stopped going in the litter box and just goes under the couch, we had to put wee wee pads under their which she went on on Monday. If she doesn't go I'm gonna call my vet but wanted to get some opinions also. Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's been eating wet and dry food in normal amounts, and has not pooped since Sunday, nor peed since Monday, things are not right.

She could get a UTI from holding her pee, and become impacted from constipation.

You need to see the vet. You can also add some olive oil to her wet food to help soften her stool.

Putting her in the crate would be best. She needs socialization, and you can monitor her better.

The crate can be covered with a sheet or towel on three sides to offer her more privacy. You can put an upside down box with one end open as a hidey house in the crate for her.

You can take her out daily for a play session with a wand toy.

Have you tried the diffuser yet?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for your patience with her - it takes a leap of faith for a feral to trust.humans as their mama kitties teach them that we are predators to be avoided. Praying that the diffuser works at calming her down.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No radio talk before she has landed, and feel somewhat comfortable and secure. At this moment it will just stress her out. But you can have calming, relaxing music on - THIS may be a good idea here.

Later on when she has landed etc, you can have people radio talk, to make her more accustomed to human talking.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
No radio talk before she has landed, and feel somewhat comfortable and secure. At this moment it will just stress her out. But you can have calming, relaxing music on - THIS may be a good idea here.

Later on when she has landed etc, you can have people radio talk, to make her more accustomed to human talking.
The music is a good idea. I've heard that there is some calming music specifically for cats! I don't know if it actually works, but I'll attach a link to a YouTube video, if you're interested:

sura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, so it’s been a couple of months since I posted. Just to bring everyone up to date, sura has adjusted great to living in our home. She is still super skiddish but lays down next to us, enjoys being petted, playing with her shoelace and toy mouse and even jumping up in the middle of the night to sleep in the corner of our bed. The next thing we need to tackle are her nails. They are really long. We do find nail shards that look like they shedded off. We would like to cut her nails but don’t know how to go about this since we really haven’t picked her up. Any suggestions would be great. I’ll also post some pics of her too

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update and for taking this little darling off the streets :catrub:

Thanks also for sharing her beautiful pictures with us. I absolutely love her pose on the couch; very artistic lol.

I use a trimmer similiar to this one for my cats->
Some nail trimmers are cheaper, but you have to watch...they aren't sharp, too big, cause split ends, aren't angled correctly, etc. Make sure it's specifically made for cats/small animals.

For the most part though my cats' nails seem to be maintained from them scratching their posts. They do need a snipping in-between vet visits here & there.
It's good to start cutting their nails when they're young. My cats were older when I got them. Flavia was over a year old in the wild when I rescued her....They still don't tolerate me trimming their nails very well, but I'll snip maybe 3 nails. Give them a break, and then try to finish the rest.

My vet is good at trimming their nails. They don't even wiggle in her arms.... I guess they're scared of her lol. Be careful when you're trimming their nails. You don't want to hit the “quick” area. The quick consists of nerves/blood vessels and is a small pink area that is at the base of the cat's nails.

If you've never trimmed an animal's nails before it might be better to watch the vet do it first...I can imagine it to be especially challenging for your darling. Some vets charge extra to trim their nails FYI

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing her and bringing her into your home. She's a beauty. :catrub:
Good luck with the nail trimming. I'm still trying to get my Ruby to "enjoy" getting her nails trimmed, so can't offer any advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest stopping at the vet and having a vet tech trim her nails for now.

Glad things are going well! :)