Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Capstar Use In With Kitten

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by surya, Feb 16, 2019.

1. surya

surya Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    I found a kitten, tame but scared. I don't know how much it weighs. I must be at least 2 months old. Do you think it looks big enough to give Capstar?

Tiger.jpg

Attached Files:

PushPurrCatPaws and dustydiamond1 purraised this.

2. EmersonandEvie

EmersonandEvie TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jul 25, 2017
    Georgia
    What a cutie! Do you plan on keeping her?

Why do you want to giver her Capstar? Does she have obvious fleas? Your best bet, just to be 100% safe, would be to get her to a vet. She may have some underlying issues that aren't obvious and you definitely don't want to harm her. They can give you an accurate weight and can estimate her age for you as well.

If you can't afford a vet, contact your local rescue and see if they have any low cost/free resources.

dustydiamond1 and golondrina purraised this.

3. surya

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    Rescue lady will talk to me next week. I hope she can take him to the vet. I can not. But in the meantime he is in my apartment. I am trying to find a foster for him. I can not keep him. He's is skinny. But he might be two pounds. I think they need to be two pounds to give them Capstar. I just gave him a bath, but I don't know if I got all the flea's.

PushPurrCatPaws and dustydiamond1 purraised this.

4. EmersonandEvie

EmersonandEvie TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jul 25, 2017
    Georgia
    Do you have a food scale, or a human scale? You can use the food scale to see how much we weighs, or you can weight yourself and then hold him while on the scale to see how much he weighs.

5. war&wisdom

war&wisdom TCS Member Super Cat

Aug 2, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Use a flea comb at least once a day. It's more labor-intensive, but it's much safer than Capstar.

ArchyCat, dustydiamond1, surya and 1 other person purraised this.

6. ans5181

ans5181 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Oct 22, 2018
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I've been told Capstar is safe for even very young kittens, so 2 months should be fine. But of course this is very non expert advice, so do with it what you will lol.

surya purraised this.

7. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I've read the safety sheets on Capstar, and they were giving cats massive overdoses to test it without getting any bad reactions, so it seems to be super safe. I'd use it. If you're worried you could cut it in half. That's enough for a kitten.

surya purraised this.

8. surya

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks for all the replies. A lady picked up the kitten to foster it, so it's not my problem any more. But I will remember this information for the next time. :)