Capstar flea treatment

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, has any one used the capstar flea treatment, my cat is 10 years old and has fleas will i get my cat sick? is it safe to use and does it work

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works, and is generally safe. I once had a 20-year-old cat have a reaction, but even that just meant she was very sleepy/lethargic for a while, and she fully recovered.

If there are a lot of fleas, she might flip out a little when they start dying. Apparently it's a very ticklish feeling.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
For what it’s worth, here’s my take on capstar. While it works, you have to give it to your cat several times a week. That was a big struggle and the fleas must bite your pet to work. Also, it doesn’t kill larvae. I used Advantage because:
*It kills adult fleas and larvae.
*It’s an IGR which prevents any larvae from thriving and kills them also
*You apply this topical once a month (no pills to struggle with)
*And, eventually takes care of fleas in the house.
The reason I know this is because I lived in Portland Oregon and had 3 pets. We battled fleas forever! It was a real struggle until I found Advantage. Interestly enough, I live in Bend Oregon now, which is high desert. I haven’t had fleas here at all! We moved here in 2004 with 2 cats and a dog. They had no fleas due to the Advantage. No fleas 16 years! So sorry you and your cat are fighting this frustrating battle 😕.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it works, you have to give it to your cat several times a week.
Capstar isn't really meant to be used on its own. But if you use it before applying a spot-on product, it knocks the flea population down a bit so the spot-on has time to work.

Using it on a badly infested cat is gruesomely fascinating, lol. Fleas just dropping right off all over the place in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Capstar isn't really meant to be used on its own. But if you use it before applying a spot-on product, it knocks the flea population down a bit so the spot-on has time to work.

Using it on a badly infested cat is gruesomely fascinating, lol. Fleas just dropping right off all over the place.
:gaah::eek3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , i want to thank all of you for the info

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i think i will try the advantage he is not infested, but he is an outside cat he sometimes stays out for a couple of days last night he came home soaking wet with a small wound on his taill i sprayed it with wound spray from nutri vet he looks fine he is eating real good when he stays out i always give him tuna fish the human kind he loves it

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Capstar for years - but not as the only thing. I regularly use a spot on and periodically use capstar. I have 2 dogs who go outside, I am afraid that we may have some critters hitchhiking when I take the cats to shows. They are dosed before we leave home and when we get home from the shows as an extra security step..