Can't Walk

isabellasdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Isabella is 17 yrs old, she is the most thoughtful Cat. She seems to be completely aware from the neck up but can no longer walk at all. We love her so much and 2 Dr. told us to put her down but we can't bring ourselves to do it. Are we being selfish?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a very personal decision on when it is time to let your cat go. My heart breaks for you and the situation you are in.

Do the vets have an explanation as to what is happening?

My general advice for if it is time is, if you were in her place would you want your family to let you go? Does she have more bad days then good? Can she get better or is this as good as it gets? Is she is pain or discomfort?

If she is in pain or discomfort, if she has more bad days, if it will only get worse, and if you wouldn't want to live your life in the condition she is in.... then it probably is time. There are a lot of in home services so that you don't have to take her back to the vet. I would personally never take a cat in to the vet to be put to sleep. If needed for any of my current cats I will be having a service come to my home if the vet isn't willing to. I did it with my last cat and it was one of the best decisions and worth every penny for him to be comfortable at home in his final moments.