Can’t tell if my cats in labour or will be soon.

dorkester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I know you get this a lot but I just can’t help myself, I’m really anxious.

My kitty mated on the 12th of March so tomorrow she will be 9 weeks pregnant. She’s been really lethargic as of this morning and her milk seems to have come in a few hours ago. Don’t think her belly ‘dropped’ but I’m not a 100% sure what that’d look like. Her belly does seem to twitch a lot though and the kittens have definitely been moving around lots.

She also has defecated several times today, I’m not sure if that is relevant.

Any advice on useful things to get when I’m out shopping later today? I’ve got a bulb syringe, puppy pads, towels and kitten food for her. I’ve seen people mention goats milk but I’m a little confused whether that’s for the kittens or mum.

thanks! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorkester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also forgot to add that Dad has been locked out of the kittening room but he seems really anxious too.

dorkester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your cat is either in early labor or getting ready to go into labor very soon. Diarrhea is common before labor to clean out the system. First stage labor can last 24 hours before pushing begins.

Do buy kitten formula and give mom a dish or two a day through her nursing days for the extra calcium she needs. Powdered is best.

Would dad be a comfort to her until the kittens arrive, or would he upset her?

Do keep us posted!

dorkester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did get some, I figured better safe then sorry.

I don’t think she’d be too happy about the dad being too close. He’s been very unpredictable with being really affectionate towards her one minute then chasing her around the house next. He has been neutered right after mating, but he still seems to try to mount her sometimes for some reason?

dorkester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so little update, she suddenly got up from my bed and started meowing at me and asking me to come under the bed with her. We both decided that’s not going to work since I won’t fit. After a stop by the litter box, she’s now in her nesting box I prepared for her and is purring away and making biscuits.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww glad she had her babies with no issues. Be sure to weigh them multiple times a day and keep dad totally separated from them. If you are not a breeder please get dad neutered asap if you havent and momma spayed after the babies are weaned. We would love to see pics of the itty bitty kitties :)

dorkester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I will start her on formula ASAP, I just had this pre-made kitten milk left over I wanted her to drink before it went off.

Dad got neutered right after she got pregnant so she’s not in danger of getting pregnant from him again. She will be getting spayed as soon as the vet says it’s safe.

Dad’s also not very interested in the kittens luckily. He wanted to see what was going on so I let him in for a few seconds, but he was more interested in the food I left out for mum.

Thanks, for all the advice :)