Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So it sounds like her behavior is pretty normal, then. Yes, she is using the litter box, scratching post, etc. I just wish she would come of the closet more to explore and play.

I don't think she is too afraid of my other cats. My two girls pretty much ignore her, and she is already getting used to her brother because he is so nosy and sociable, and goes in there to greet her. :wave3:

I am leaving her safe room door open for awhile, only when I am home to supervise. Is that a bad idea? But she hasn't ventured out into the living room yet. I keep the door to her room closed at night. :sleep:

I feel a bit better after reading these responses.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At some point you might want to leave her safe room door open at night for her to explore. Night is when both of my feral cats would come out and explore. I’m finding that feral cats are very different from my other cats I had as kittens. They’ve had to develop survival techniques that cats that have always felt safe don’t have.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where do your other cats sleep at night? I'm not sure if running into them in the middle of the night would be a good or bad thing.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2 of my cats sleep in the living room (they are good buddies), and my other girl is a loner and sleeps in my bedroom. I can't confine them, they are not used to that and will most likely cry. Plus, I am in an apartment, there is really no where to confine them.

I don't want to stress Apple, but I don't want to stress my other babies, either. I will sleep in the living room so if I hear a ruckus in the night, I can act quickly. I just want to see how it goes. I think in a worse case scenario she may be startled by them and run back into her room. She already knows her brother, but she doesn't know her sisters too well - they are timid.

:sleepycat:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Crazy Cat Lady and proud! :thumbsup:

She didn't come out of her room during the night. I thought she would at least be somewhat curious. I guess her fear has taken over. :paperbag:

She also has some sort of "sniffles" going on, despite her negative test results. Is this from vaccines? That was a week ago - is that normal? She is not coughing or sneezing, but making some weird nasal sounds like we do when we have the sniffles. :nurse: I noticed it the other day, but thought it would go away.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have a little upper respiratory Infection, which is usually viral. When she got her shots, was one of them Fvrcp? that shot contains a vaccine for herpes C virus which is the source of most respiratory infections. It requires a booster a few weeks later, though in my experience, even the initial vaccine is effective. The shot doesn't protect against the virus completely, especially if the cat was already exposed to the virus, but it reduces the symptoms significantly. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. If she gets a full-blown infection, she might need an antibiotic because sometimes viruses can become bacterial, But hopefully it won't get to that point.. Her sniffles could also be environmental related. Cats can have allergies to pollen and dust like humans. My cat Sonny frequently sneezes and he is not ill. I think it's fine to leave her room open, but it's also a good idea to close her door for at least half the time so she feels secure in her space. You don't want to overwhelm her. Has there been any improvement with her hearing?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She got rabies vaccine and the "combo" which includes the FVRCP. Plus, she is not used to air conditioning.

I don't know if her hearing is improved. She does not come when I coo to her. So how do I know if she needs an antibiotic for the respiratory issue? I would have to put it in her food. I think I will call the vet tomorrow. If she does have a respiratory infection, it may explain why her appetite is diminished.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can tell if her hearing is okay by positioning yourself behind her or to the side of her, and making an abrupt sound like a whistling or clicking sound with your mouth. If her ears flick or she turns her head to you, then she can hear.

if all she is doing is having occasional sniffling, then there is nothing to worry about at this point. An antibiotic is not needed, and I doubt the vet would prescribe one now. Of course if you have concerns you should call your vet and ask about it. Since she had the vaccine, she will be fine. If she had a true URI, there would be no doubt about it because the symptoms would be very much more pronounced.

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went up to her carrier and "kissed" her very loudly and she turned her head and her ears kind of flickered like I was annoying her, so I guess her hearing is returning. Vet did say up to two weeks and it's only been a week, so that is good. :crossfingers:

It makes me sad to see her basically living in her carrier, but if that is where she feels safe, so be it. I need to keep reading these stories and know that in time she will feel safe and come out. :nervous:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I compare a feral cat being taken inside someone's home to share with a human and unfamiliar cats to my being taken by an alien and put in a house with people I don't know. Humans are initially like aliens to feral cats, we are huge and scary. Even though they know we feed them and care for them, it still takes them a while to get used to us and to their new surroundings and resident cats..

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is very true, Msaimee. I am sure that is exactly how she sees me and her 'siblings'. It does break my heart, though - I get teary eyed sometimes looking at her, I want so much to help her.

What else can I do? What haven't I tried? What else can I buy for her? Is the room too dark, too light? Should she see more of her siblings or less of them? I read to her, sing to her, coo to her.

I did discover a new food she likes - Swanson canned chicken! She goes nuts for it. :jump:

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crazy Cat Lady and proud! :thumbsup:

She didn't come out of her room during the night. I thought she would at least be somewhat curious. I guess her fear has taken over. :paperbag:

She also has some sort of "sniffles" going on, despite her negative test results. Is this from vaccines? That was a week ago - is that normal? She is not coughing or sneezing, but making some weird nasal sounds like we do when we have the sniffles. :nurse: I noticed it the other day, but thought it would go away.
It may take a few nights before she comes out at night. My guess is at some point she’ll get curious.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A new food she loves is great! :banana2: So maybe keep buying different kinds of food and seeing which ones she loves. And eventually try staying in the room when you put her food down. If she really loves it, she might venture out to eat while you're still there.

And you are helping her! You really, really are. I know looking at her hiding in her carrier, you think she's sad, but maybe she's just feeling safe. And that's because she is safe! She safe from cars, dogs, other animals, other cats, mean people, fleas, ticks, worms, etc. She will come around. I really believe it. :hearthrob:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I hope you are right. She did eat a decent breakfast this morning, so maybe she is starting to feel better from the vaccines, or just in general. :think:

I left the door open a little bit last night again, but she didn't come out. It may take several weeks, I think. However, her scratcher was moved around, so she had been out of the closet. :jive:

Should I get her a heated pet bed until she is used to the air conditioning? She is used to 85 degree heat, and I keep the A/C on about 70 due to respiratory issues and an asthmatic cat. Maybe that is why she has the sniffles and not from the vaccine? :nurse:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they do the Rabies and FVRCP Distemper vaccines on the same day? I think I'm going to separate the 2 vaccines next time my cats go to the vet.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, both were given on the same visit. I don't even know why I vaccinated her since she will be an indoor cat. I rent, and usually management will require proof of rabies vaccine since it is required in my state.

But I really think the A/C is giving her sniffles. I am in the deep south, she is used to heat and humidity.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FVRCP is an invaluable shot to get, even for indoor only cats. The problem is that you're supposed to get them a booster within two to three weeks after the first for it to be fully effective. THe herpes V virus is very contagious among cats, once a cat gets infected, the virus remains dormant in the system and can reinfect. A full-blown URI is very distressful for a cat and can infect the eyes and sinuses, and be life-threatening. It's good you got her vaccinated especially since she's been outside and may have been exposed to it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sweet black paws!!
You are progressing quickly! I'm jealous (in a good way)
I am dealing with a difficult feral, you are on your way so quickly.
Slow down like the others say, you don't want a cat fight at this point, things are going so well, let them get to know each other slowly, and you will have great success!!! I'm so happy for you! backward steps happen, so avoiding as many as you can moves you forward!