Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for such beautiful posts! I hope you are right, that one day she will be in my lap - but even if she never lets me touch her, it won't change my love for her. :hearthrob:

Do you all think it would be ok to leave her safe room door open tonight? She is either depressed, bored or both. Maybe some romping around with the others might cheer her up? :jump:

Also, I took away her kibble - I think she is filling up on that and not touching her wet food anymore. I can't be sure since I had not measured it, but we'll see. I fear she is not getting enough nutrition at this point. I can't believe she weighs 10.5 pounds. She eats like a bird.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't entirely remove her dry food. She might get stressed if food is not available for her in her room. Right now you want to have consistency. There are many cats who eat dry food and barely, if any at all, wet food, and they do just fine. My cat Chablis ate only dry food and lived 16 years. Keep water available and she'll be fine, dry food also contains water.. If she is enjoying the dry kibble, leave that for her, that's what I would suggest. Also I wouldn't give her the run of the house during the night. You need to be able to supervise her, and also need to be able to corral her back into her room if she freaks out. I know you want this process to go more quickly than it's going, but it's likely going to take some time. She's already interacting with one of your cats, and that's great progress for 3 weeks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As MsAimee said, don't take away the kibble. It is too soon. She needs the consistency. You can phase that out later when she is more adjusted.

Also just slow down a bit. I wouldn't leave the door open at night yet. It is way too soon. Keep doing the slow introductions. If you let her out at night and she goes and hides somewhere, how will you get her out?

Remember this process can be a slow one. If you rush and move too fast it will only set you back. We humans always want to rush the process. If a fight were to break out between the cats, it might be terrifying for her. Cats take time to get used to each other.

I have had my 3 inside my new house for 3 months now. They are doing day time visits with my other 3, but nowhere near ready for me to leave the door open all night.

Slow and steady.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, will leave the kibble out. She didn't touch her dinner or her breakfast. Should I experiment with different wet food brands?

I agree I probably am moving to fast. It's just that I am moving in September, so time is an issue. But I don't want her stressed, either. If she is not comfortable by moving day, it will still work out. Either way, I'm sure she will need sedation for the drive. :cutecat:

The vet replied and did say the Oti-pak ear medicine can impact her hearing for up to two weeks, so the poor little thing is probably extra anxious - she doesn't know it is from the medicine. SO GLAD I did not let her back out!! :thumbsup:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you move, do you have a room for her in case she is not settled yet? I had my 3 in the house for 2 months at my old house before I moved. They have now been in my new house in a room of their own for 3 months. They are starting to come out and explore, but it is a process. The move was another adjustment as it was for all of my animals. I wouldn't try to set a date that you need her socialized and ready for the move. It may happen and it may not happen. Be prepared for both.

I did use a light sedation for my 3 when I moved. One would not take the medication and he was the one who peed! Yet they were all very quiet.

You can experiment with different types of foods to find out what she likes. Yet don't overwhelm her or you will have some digestive upset on your hands. I often mix a bit of fishy food into my cats regular food if they are being fussy. You also can try toppers. Some people buy dehydrated chicken treats and crumble them on top. You can use plain cooked chicken too. Their are bonita tuna flakes. When I was in a real bind, I used Forti Flora. You can sprinkle it onto wet food. It contains probiotics as well as a flavor enhancer.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why didn't your vet tell you it could cause temporary hearing loss? That was something you really needed to know, and two weeks is a long time. No wonder Apple is hiding more than usual, cats rely on their hearing so much Please let us know when she starts to hear again. I hope she will regain her full hearing sooner than 2 weeks.

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MsAimee, I agree! That is quite a "side effect" and I should have been told. In a way, I was relieved to hear it, though, because like you said, no wonder the poor thing is hiding more than usual.

ShadowRescue, no she will not have her own room when I move. I will be moving from a 2-bedroom to a 1-bedroom. I am not sure what I can do to make her feel safe when she loses her "safe room", but I will think of something. Maybe some sort of partition/room divider? :kitty:

My cats pose no danger to her, however, I don't want her to be frightened.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try talking in an excited happy voice when you bring her brother kitty to see her. Like "here's your brother!". It sounds ridiculous, but that's what I did, except I said "here's your boyfriend/girlfriend!" I think they pick up on the happy/excited/positive vibes. :D

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try talking in an excited happy voice when you bring her brother kitty to see her. Like "here's your brother!". It sounds ridiculous, but that's what I did, except I said "here's your boyfriend/girlfriend!" I think they pick up on the happy/excited/positive vibes. :D
M maggiedemi - It does not sound ridiculous, and the truth is that it's great advice. Cats do seem to "pick up" on happy vibes, and trying to get that excitement to rub off is a great way to help the introduction process along.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will try a more enthusiastic, playful voice - I have been cooing to her softly, but maybe I need a different strategy and vibe.

I think she still does not feel well from the trauma of Monday's vet visit and vaccines, plus the oti-pak ear medicine. I know it's been a few days, but just my guess. Sweet little girl...:alright:

I brought her brother in to say hello, and she meowed but didn't move away - I don't know if she was afraid or glad to see him. Then I took him out because I don't want to stress her. She is quite a gentle cat.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long did it take your ferals to come out of hiding? I don't mean until they were socialized, but just until they were ready to start exploring their surroundings a little bit? :coolcat:

It has been 3 weeks since she has been inside and she is still hiding in the closet, usually in her carrier. She has met her siblings and does not run from them, nor does she engage. I keep intros short as I don't want her stressed. :hithere:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feral kitten Cupcake stayed in her cubby hole in her cat tree most of the time when I went into her room, and even after she had the run of the house, probably for about three or four months. She would play with her toys when I wasn't around, and with her brother, Harry. But she would hide and tremble when I got too close to her. I can assure you that Apple comes out of hiding to eat, use the litter box, and look around when you're not in the room, probably mostly at night. If she's still suffering from hearing loss, she's going to be more fearful and cautious than she would be otherwise. Also, adult feral cats take a lot longer to feel comfortable indoors than feral kittens under 1 year of age. I might add that my feral cat Mia, the one who had gotten shot, still mostly runs away from me and hides under the bed, and I've had her for four years. When her arthritis isn't bothering her too badly, she will occasionally let me engage her with a wand toy. It doesn't bother me at all, because she is safe and being cared for, and I have four other cats who are constantly vying for my attention and giving me affection. Sometimes we have to let go of our expectations, and then everyone involved is more relaxed. Don't take Apple's hiding as a sign that she is emotionally unhappy. She's recovering from an ear infection and still doesn't have all of her hearing back, she's probably exhausted from all of the recent changes in her life, but none of that equates to unhappiness the way that we humans understand it.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pixie lived in my basement until I got her used to using a litter box and she had been spayed (several weeks). I didn’t have any other cats at the time, and once I left the door open, she began exploring the house at night, but never came up or interacted with us during the day. Finally, I closed the basement door when she was upstairs one day and forced her to stay upstairs. She cried and hid under our guest room bed for a few weeks. I’d sleep in there with her sometimes, and finally she got comfortable enough to go everywhere in the house - about 3 months - and that was without any other cats in the house.

Charlie is taking much longer. He was in my basement for 4 months. He’s had access to the upstairs for about a month. He was making pretty good progress, exploring the house at night, and hiding in the den during the day, but Pixie started an intimidation campaign (hissing at him and sitting right in front of his hidey hole) and he hasn’t left the den for the past 3 days. I put his food and litter box in there, and last night I put Pixie in the basement and slept with her down there. I let her come back upstairs in the morning. I think I’m going to do that for a few nights to see if Charlie will come out at night again. I really want him to understand that the whole house is his, too.

Do you think Apple is timid to come out because of the other cats or because of you?