Can't stop crying

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats are very hard to read when it comes to illnesses as their instinct is to remain stoic. That is not to say that you missed any symptoms through anything that you could have done. I lost a middle aged Maine Coon to a heart attack after a vet tech had said that he heard an arrhythmia but the vet disagreed. Fell over at my feet in the hallway one morning. In December I took a 13 year old cat who was diabetic to the vet for a fructosamine test and she passed away at home a few hours later.

As bad as losing a pet is, I think that a lot of us picture at least having the opportunity to say goodbye at the vet's or to arrange for home euthanasia. When it happens suddenly it is just heart wrenching.

Sammy is a gorgeous orange boy. He knows that he had a wonderful life with you and that you were there at the end, checking on him and making sure he was comfortable.

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet Sammy passed away on Saturday and I cannot stop crying. On Thursday, I noticed he was not eating his food, just licking some and
walking off. I called the vet and made an appointment for Friday. That night Sammy was still not eating and was lethargic.In the morning he seemed more alert but still not eating. The vet did blood work and a X-Ray. The blood worked showed he was anemic and the xray showed an enlarged spleen. The vet thought we could rule out an infection because Sammy was not running a fever, and after looking at the blood samples with another doctor did not think it was autoimmune, which left cancer. An ultrasound was needed to find out what was the problem. The doctor that could do ultrasound was out, so I had an appointment to come back on Saturday.

Sammy stayed at the vet so they could monitor him and was given fluids and pain medicine. They called and said Sammy could come home that evening and return tomorrow for the ultrasound. When I picked Sammy up the vet told me Sammy would probably sleep all night due to the pain medicine. I put Sammy in his bed at 6 pm and checked on him every hour. He got out of the bed and laid by his favorite toy and then moved back into the bed twice. When I checked on him at 4 am he was back in his bed and seemed to be fine. When I checked on him at 5 am he had passed away.

How could this happen? Sammy was only 6 years old. He was fine on Wednesday jumping around, playing with my other cat, and begging for treats. He was not throwing up, had not lost weight, and before Thursday had been eating normally. I know you can not answer why, our vet could not say why either. I just want to see if anyone has had a similar experience and talk to people that understand how I feel.

Sammy is the second cat I have lost this year. Casper was put to sleep on April 13 due to kidney failure. We had time to prepare for what was going to happen to Casper. He lived a!most two years after being diagnosed with kidney failure but Sammy's sudden death has left me feeling so upset.

Kim
I am so sorry for your loss, my heart hurts for you. You shouldn’t feel that after a week you should be over his death! He was your baby. Pets are family and grieve as long as you need. I had a dog who passed in a similar manner. She was fine the night before she died, very playful and wanted to play. At 7 am she passed away while I had breakfast. It hurts so badly losing your pets! Ugh I’m sending you hugs and strength. I wish I could take the pain away

SnugglesAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oliver is a beautiful boy. There is definitely something about orange cats that make them special. My very first cat was named Kitty and was a orange tabby so I have a soft spot for all orange kitties.

The vet office called yesterday to say Sammy's ashes are ready to be picked up which started me crying again. Thank you for your support and prayers. I know only time will start to ease the pain.
Aww, I know, that call about the ashes is one of the hardest. For me, it's like I'm in a daze and then when that call comes, it forces me back into reality. Sammy was so lucky to have you. Gosh, I wish, like Zylalove18 Zylalove18 said, that we could just take away all of the pain for you. When you feel like it, please tell us more about Sammy. ❤❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kim515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are very hard to read when it comes to illnesses as their instinct is to remain stoic. That is not to say that you missed any symptoms through anything that you could have done. I lost a middle aged Maine Coon to a heart attack after a vet tech had said that he heard an arrhythmia but the vet disagreed. Fell over at my feet in the hallway one morning. In December I took a 13 year old cat who was diabetic to the vet for a fructosamine test and she passed away at home a few hours later.

As bad as losing a pet is, I think that a lot of us picture at least having the opportunity to say goodbye at the vet's or to arrange for home euthanasia. When it happens suddenly it is just heart wrenching.

Sammy is a gorgeous orange boy. He knows that he had a wonderful life with you and that you were there at the end, checking on him and making sure he was comfortable.
My heart goes out to you losing two pets suddenly. You are right about now hard it is not having the opportunity for one more kiss and to say goodbye. My last time with him was spent petting and brushing him. He loved being brushed. I could just show him the brush and he would start purring. Thanks for you words of comfort. Everyone on this board has been so kind.

Kim515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, I know, that call about the ashes is one of the hardest. For me, it's like I'm in a daze and then when that call comes, it forces me back into reality. Sammy was so lucky to have you. Gosh, I wish, like Zylalove18 Zylalove18 said, that we could just take away all of the pain for you. When you feel like it, please tell us more about Sammy. ❤❤
I could not go get them today. It was too painful, but will have to next week. I may ask a friend to do it for me.
It really has lifted some of the grief talking to people on this board. I am glad I found a place with people that understand how I feel.

Kim515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, my heart hurts for you. You shouldn’t feel that after a week you should be over his death! He was your baby. Pets are family and grieve as long as you need. I had a dog who passed in a similar manner. She was fine the night before she died, very playful and wanted to play. At 7 am she passed away while I had breakfast. It hurts so badly losing your pets! Ugh I’m sending you hugs and strength. I wish I could take the pain away
Thank you. I am sorry about your dog passing suddenly. The sudden passing makes it so hard. The day before Sammy started acting unwell he was running around, jumping in my lap and demanding cuddles and kisses. I still can't believe he is gone.

SnugglesAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could not go get them today. It was too painful, but will have to next week. I may ask a friend to do it for me.
It really has lifted some of the grief talking to people on this board. I am glad I found a place with people that understand how I feel.
I had to get family to pick up Snuggles' and Oliver's ashes too. I'm always a mess.

You'll never be alone through this, please know that. If you post a tribute to Sammy over in the Crossing the Bridge section, you'll see even more caring individuals who will help. They listen and listen some more. ❤❤

Kim515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to get family to pick up Snuggles' and Oliver's ashes too. I'm always a mess.

You'll never be alone through this, please know that. If you post a tribute to Sammy over in the Crossing the Bridge section, you'll see even more caring individuals who will help. They listen and listen some more. ❤❤
Thanks for all you kind words. I just posted a tribute in the Crossing the Bridge section.