Can't keep food down

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed my cats was dry heaving and throwing up colourless liquid with a bit of foam (occasionally) and thought he had a hairball. However, I found some thrown up food in the litter box twice now (I don't know why there). He didn't want to eat as if he was scared to almost? I managed to get him to eat some yoghurt and them some pate, eventually him feeling confident to eat wet food. But that's also thrown up. He's not meowing, but acting normal apart from the sudden heat rise we've had. This has been going on for a day and a half now and I've contacted the vet who told me to monitor him, but I'm concerned about him not keeping the food down. Any ideas?

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use non sweetened plain kefir and it seems to prevent my boycat Martin from puking up his entire meals sometimes.
Also his breath and bottom smell way better even though his cat food has probiotics and is very high quality Wysongs.
You can't beat Wysongs but very expensive stuff! I've seen colorless liquid many times with foam also in mine.
hmmmm throwing up in the litter box is darn smart! Can he teach mine?
Make sure he gets filtered tap water as chlorine destroys enzymes and the gut microbiome. I bet you do this.
Make sure the yogurt has no sugar cause cats dont need sugar at all. They are meant to go a long time with no food as they do in the wild so feeding just twice a day and maybe skipping a day now and then is better than constant food left out.
good luck! I mix just maybe a quarter teaspoon kefir into one meal of wet food or you can rub it on his feet....and in the mouth it will go. Kefir has 12 different probiotics and yogurt only a few. Not a Vet be me so check with yours......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have to say I'm glad he's doing it in the litterbox! I haven't heard of giving kefir though, but that's sounds like a good idea. I didn't k is it was so beneficial! I gave him the yoghurt to sort of "wean him" to eventually eat more solid foods (which he did) but he just threw everything up. It puts my mind at ease a little because j was very worried about him not having the food in his stomach. Thank you!

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't say how old he is, but my 16 year old has IBS and will throw up water and foam when his stomach is empty and he has drank a lot of water. The good thing is that any hairballs lurking come up too. This is a daily morning occurrence. Your Vet may want to check his pancreatic enzymes.

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't say how old he is, but my 16 year old has IBS and will throw up water and foam when his stomach is empty and he has drank a lot of water. The good thing is that any hairballs lurking come up too. This is a daily morning occurrence. Your Vet may want to check his pancreatic enzymes.
Thank you. I'll be sure to mention that as I have an appointment later on. He's almost 2 years old. He has an appetite, but just can't keep the food down for some reason.

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he an indoor or outdoor cat?
Wondering if he has eaten something he shouldnt have.
He's an indoor cat, but he relaxes in the garden sometimes. He recently ran through a gap into my neighbours yard so I thought he ate something toxic, but he's fine other than not keeping the food down. He has an appetite, just throws it up along with gagging.

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving him tiny amounts til you see the vet? I have a male who has been a regurgitant cat his whole life....he always throws up if he eats too much at once. I have a female will do the same if she is backed up with a hairball. We cat people lead such interesting lives, don't we?

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh, tell me about it! It's always something with these furry monsters. The vet actually suggested doing that, just giving him boiled chicken and fish in case it's a stomach thing. He seems better after an anti-sickness injection, but still no clue. My bet is on the hairball! He had me worrying for sure. Thank you