Can't give my new cat a bath... please help!!!!!!!

Nandu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So yesterday my dad brought beautiful cats home. One of them is a male, 2 years or probably older, and is a cross Persian while the other one is a female, less than a year old and is a purebred Persian cat. They were picked up from poor living conditions and the male cat seems to have lost fur next to his ears which is a sign of fungal infection or ringworms. They had a vet checkup and got their vaccines but today when my dad took them for trimming their nails and for a washup, the male became superrrr aggressive and started screeching and stuff(you get the point). Since it was unbearable the shopkeeper had to ask us to take the cat away. Dad took him to another Cat parlor. The female cat went first and didn't have a problem but the male was twice as aggressive and scared the shit out of the workers. They tried their max but after 2 long hours had to give up. Now my parents wanna give the male cat away to someone cuz they think we can't give it a bath. Can't really blame them cause he really stinks and is in bad bad condition especially with the infection. what to do ???? I don't wanna give him away... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet can prescribe a sedative for the cat so a groomer can give the cat a bath.

Is the vet treating the possible ringworm or fungal thing with anything? That's highly contagious and can spread to the other cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nandu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet can prescribe a sedative for the cat so a groomer can give the cat a bath.

Is the vet treating the possible ringworm or fungal thing with anything? That's highly contagious and can spread to the other cat.
Yes, he did give Ointments but we can't put them on him because of his behavior.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat parlors can't give him a sedative to help him calm down? How is he dealing with you guys? Will he let you near him? If he has been mistreated, it might take him a while to warm up to you...If he does let you near him, try petting him gently and after a while just smear some ointment on your hands and quickly wipe it next to his ears and continue petting him. Moving houses is stressful for cats and he might need a bit to settle in before you can bring him to any kitty salons and such. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nandu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat parlors can't give him a sedative to help him calm down? How is he dealing with you guys? Will he let you near him? If he has been mistreated, it might take him a while to warm up to you...If he does let you near him, try petting him gently and after a while just smear some ointment on your hands and quickly wipe it next to his ears and continue petting him. Moving houses is stressful for cats and he might need a bit to settle in before you can bring him to any kitty salons and such. Best of luck!
Surprisingly he warmed up to us within 5 minutes of meeting. He demanded belly rubs and followed us around all day but reacted aggressively only when he was at the parlor. He even sat on my lap and we played with some toys today.
Meanwhile, the female cat is kinda doubtful but she still likes petting a lot.
And about the sedation- In the country where I live in, since pets are not very common, most parlors are quite small cuz they obviously don't get enough profit. The workers actually asked my dad to give him sedation from a vet clinic but considering the rate of spreading of the coronavirus he couldn't travel back and forth a lot. My dad also rose the question of how long will we be able to sedate him for minor clean-up sessions.

They're also scared of the fungal infection spreading to all of us as well. andddd my mom HATES cats.
soooo idk ..
But Thank you so much for the recommendations and I'll definitely try them out.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was aggressive when they went to bath him, or before, by being there at all? Since he’s not aggressive with you, you could try to bath him yourself, and see how he reacts. I bath my cat. You must have a specific cat shampoo. You could try a wet wash cloth first, to see how he reacts. There are lots of videos on youtube showing the best methods. Do not try to use a hairdryer, most cats are very afraid of these.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frankly, I am stunned that the groomer was willing to bath him since he possibly has ringworm. I would suggest asking the vet if it is possible to have him bathed there, under sedation. Here is the U.S, that is sometimes done. Does he allow you to comb him?