Can't get rid of fleas

wild at heart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off NEVER use a spot on treatment again in 2 weeks. It stays in the bloodstream for 30 days by doing it again you are overdosing you cats and can KILL them ! Try Revolution 30 days after initial treatment. NOT 2 weeks after unless you want you cats to die. Read the directions also never use OTC junk it will harm your cats. Ask a vet for other options. Use diatemoucs earth around your house outside .

georgiarealist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Flea-busters is not harmless to pets. It has an extra ingredient that can be toxic. The instructions on it tell you to vaccuum it up if there's any out where pets can get into  it. I tried it years ago when I had a bad flea problem but didn't find that it worked any better than the diatomaceouus earth and certainly wasn't worth the extra cost plus the extra work. I have better results by treating the yard (either with insecticides or nematodes) and using diatomaceous earth inside, as well as using Revolution on the cats.

drawpoker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@PoorSasha:

Yes,  Revolution requires a vet prescription.  It is also more expensive because it is not just for fleas but ticks,  ear mites,  heartworm.   If your cat(s) have only fleas,  not the risks of the other 3,  you really would be over-treating the problem,  wouldn't you.

Don't be so quick to give up on Advantage II.  Contrary to some posts here,  yes, you can re-treat with Advantage in less than 30 days.  Both the package insert from Bayer and the vets say for a bad infestation,  you can re-apply another treatment in 2 weeks. 

Keep in mind you must be sure and get all the liquid on the cat's skin,  not the fur.  If you have a long-haired cat it is especially important to carefully part the fur and be sure you have a clear swatch of bare skin to work with.   This may be why it isn't working well for you,  your cat maybe was not getting the full dose (?)   

Yes,  it is acknowledged that fleas in some parts of the U.S. have developed a resistance to Frontline.  The Frontline manufacturer is aware of this and is currently working on re-formulating the product.  However,  after checking with several vets and consulting other sources I have been unable to find any credible source that claims this is true of Advantage II as well.  Where did you get that information (?)  I would be curious to know.

Also,  do some Googling on the cycle of the flea.  Depending on the temp and humidity levels inside the home the eggs deposited in the carpet,  bedding,  etc. may take more than 30 days to hatch out.  So,  even if your cat seems to be flea-free for a full month,   you should keep up with the Advantage II treatments (or other topical application) for at least another month or two.   If even just one single egg hatches out and latches onto to your cat,  gets a blood meal, is not killed because the flea protection has worn off  -  well,  you are really going to be in for it.   De je vu all over again! 

Good Luck!  And BTW,  I would change vets if I were you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couple things, may have been mentioned already... Revolution is a great product but it only kills adult fleas. So if you use it you must continuously do so for a good 3+ months to get all the fleas as they mature. Fronltine seems to have become more ineffective then ever and there is a product out now called Frontline Gold which is a different formula. I imagine the same might be the case for Advantage. Regardless of which you choose treat for a few months to get any fleas that may have been missed and any more that hatch. Another trick is to put a flea collar cut up into your vacuum back and vaccuum like mad every couple days. This way any fleas sucked up with die instead of crawling back out into the carpets. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@PoorSasha:

Yes,  Revolution requires a vet prescription. 
If you buy it online from Canada, like we do, no script is required. It costs less in Canada too & 12 vials can be bought rather than the 6 allowed here. We never use anything other than Revolution.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you buy it online from Canada, like we do, no script is required. It costs less in Canada too & 12 vials can be bought rather than the 6 allowed here. We never use anything other than Revolution.
Can you link us to a good Canadian website to buy from?