Can't Get Near Trapped Feral, Too Crazy To Even Pick Up

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trapped two more feral cats last night. I have the traps fully covered but one of the cats is very stressed and is violently trying to break out of the trap. I'm a relatively small person and if the cat is behaving that way, I cannot pick up or carry the trap. I just don't have the strength. I don't know what to do because I'm also afraid that he'll break out in my car. I am using a tru catch trap and I know that's not supposed to happen but there's a first time for everything.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you taking them to a vet or shelter for spay/neuter and vaccines, or where are you trying to move them? The cat should not be able to break out of the trap, so don't worry about that. You may want to use gloves, but the trap covers should be thick enough to protect your hands. You live with your folks...can one of them help you get the traps into your car?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm on my own with this. I have welding gloves. I'll be taking them to a vet about 20 minutes away.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't lift the trap, can you drag it? I've used boards as ramps to get heavy items in and out of my car before.

Were you able to lift the cat who isn't fighting?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You aren't going to keep all these feral cats in cages in your garage their whole lives are you?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading some of your old threads, is the photo of the orange cat you posted the same one that is in your garage right now?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got them to the vet.
I moved the first male inside into the bathroom. My vet put me in touch with someone who works with ferals all the time. She's somewhat of an expert, who is going to look at all of them and tell me if and how to socialize them, based on what she observes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! I'm so glad to hear that you moved the first cat into the house! This is great progress.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's still adjusting to the new room, though. I blocked everything off that I could but he still managed to get behind the toilet. Hopefully, he'll decide to come out soon.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's super news! :thumbsup: For awhile you were saying no one would help you. So glad to hear that your vet put you in touch with an expert.

Getting behind the toilet is not bad. I let my outdoor feral in the bathroom for the first time last night, due to freezing weather. She hid behind the toilet until I sat quietly on the floor long enough. Then she came out. I've been working with her for several months outside though.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that his crisis was averted, I'm going to continue on the old thread.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, see you on the other thread then. We are here for you...

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading some of your old threads, is the photo of the orange cat you posted the same one that is in your garage right now?
No. I'm not sure what happened to that cat.