Can’t Figure Out Why My Cat Is Spraying

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or rather, what to do about it.

When we first got Hemingway, he was already almost 2 when he got neutered so we figured he just had the habit. We got him urine tested to be sure it wasn’t a UTI and that came back clear. He’s gone about three months without spraying and then suddenly, with the addition of anew cat bed, he’s at it again. I’m not sure if he thinks the bed is a new litter box (and if so, then what?) The location has been home to numerous other cat things like boxes and some other bed. I try to move stuff around so he doesn’t get bored but I dunno what’s going on here.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say, no, Hemingway doesn't think the new bed is a litter box. Spraying is a territorial behavior, not at all related to urinating. I would guess that his old bed smelled familiar, like him, and when you replaced it, he lost that familiar, territorial scent, so he is trying to regain it.

One option is to observe where does he lay quietly and sleep? Rub him with a kitchen-sized towel, and then place on his favorite napping spot for a few days. His scent will soak into the towel. Then move that towel to the new bed.

Lastly, I would say "moving stuff around so he doesn't get bored" sounds like a bad plan to me! Most cats don't embrace change, especially in their home. They like routine, and familiarity. Boredom is cured by playtime, or "Cat TV" (aka, access to windows).

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lastly, I would say "moving stuff around so he doesn't get bored" sounds like a bad plan to me! Most cats don't embrace change, especially in their home. They like routine, and familiarity. Boredom is cured by playtime, or "Cat TV" (aka, access to windows).
Both my cats simply love when I move stuff around at home, even simple and small thing like moving a chair to the other side of the room, but they simply love the bigger change as well, I moved the couch the other day and they were all over it having fun the whole day. I’d say mine very much embrace the change as long it’s in their familiar territory, and it’s certainly a stimulation for them and entertainment. They also love the addition of some new big objects. But I agree the best boredom remedy is interactive play