Can't Figure Out Why My 12 y.o. cat is throwing up -- maybe Miralax?

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm new here and would greatly appreciate some help. My cat Cookie is back to upchucking. She is a very nervous kitty and recently was doing well with no upchucks. Yesterday she threw up and today she did again. She is getting a tiny bit of Miralax daily (I was told not to add water!) in her wet food to help her go daily or close to that. She tended to go every other day and have rock hard stool. But this had been normal for her for the last 10 years.

She has a history of upchucking occasionally, but I always found a reason. Once it was due to her stupid person (me!) spraying mint based rodent repellent around the apt. Once I realized that, stopped any kind of spraying and cleaned all of it up, no more throwups. BUT now for some reason, she is throwing up again. It's not hairballs.

She is not constipated but her stool is rock hard. Maybe there is still some left in her. I saw a post here where that seemed to be the case for a kitty that wasn't feeling well.

We will be going to the vet very soon, but in the meantime, I wonder if Miralax in such small amounts could be upsetting her stomach? I'm going to stop any Miralax and see if that might help. I feel so awful for her when she throws up. The vet suspected she might be hyper T, but the last blood tests a few months ago showed normal Free T4 (high normal though). Sigh, time to bring her in and get her examined and Free T4 retested. So often the vets have no idea what is causing various things. Thanks for being here for us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Tip for constipation
Constipation Remedies?
Foods for Helping Constipated Cats | PetMD
Constipation

How much Miralax are you using? I believe that it is supposed to be only a very small amount like 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Maybe less. There is nothing harmful in discontinuing it to see if the throwing up stops. There could be a fine line between very hard, dry stool and constipation.

My Cat’s Stool Is Hard. How Can I Help Her? | BeChewy
This article recommends using hairball medication which is available OTC.

You sound very sensible and concerned about your cat, but remember not to try an enema at home or other human constipation remedies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you for your sound words. I would never try an enema or any other do it yourself kind of thing on her. I've only been giving her about 1/32 of a teaspoon, microscopic. I'll read the article and see if the hairball remedy might help. In the meantime, no Miralax.

I'm going to try and to get her to the vet next week. She goes absolutely wild when I have to take her out. Screams all the way to the vet, all the way back. She is extremely high strung.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It helps ease my jangled nerves.

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miralax must absolutely be dissolved in water before ingestion, whether for people or for animals. Did the vet tell you not to dissolve in water? Miralax works by drawing water into the colon. Dry powder will just draw water from inside the body which results in dehydration and that doesn't help constipation. Canned food alone isn't enough to hydrate the powder. A few spoonfuls of water mixed with a cat-sized dose of Miralax is enough and then you mix that into canned food or other moist food.

What is your cat vomiting? Food? Digested or partially digested? Just liquid? Is there any particular time the vomiting happens like shortly after eating? What are you feeding your cat? Sometimes cats develop intolerances to ingredients in food, even food they've eaten for years with no issue, and that causes vomiting.

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up!!
  • Will add water to the Miralax now before mixing it with her wet food. The vet didn't discuss how to use Miralax.
  • Cookie's recent upchuck was mostly liquid not food. Occasionally there is a hairbalI. I've been brushing her frequently to see if this can help.
  • Will try the hairball gel.
  • I can't pinpoint a time when she throws up. It's not usually right after she eats. She tends to throw up about once a month now.
  • I don't know if food is causing this. No dry food, just wet. Fancy Feast Tender Beef Feast Classic or Fancy Feast Tender Liver and Chicken. Dry food doesn't agree with her as she'd throw up chunks of the dry food.
Thanks and will keep you updated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How often do you feed? Sometimes going too long between meals causes some cats to vomit bile.

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice and help. With Cookie, there is absolutely no danger of her going too long between meals. 🐱 No way! I am her servant, home all day and she loudly lets me know when she is hungry - about 4X/day. She's a small girl, about 11 lbs, but has a solid appetite. Thanks for your ideas. 💙🧡💙

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, I gave her a small amount of Miralax earlier -- mixed with water before adding to her food as you noted. She had a very good BM, not rock solid, but just right. I am so glad to see this. I read on another post here that sometimes constipation can cause nausea in cats. She might never have been getting it "all" out, I think this will eliminate that.

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh rats. She threw up on Tuesday and today. Mostly saliva. Made appt. with vet for Monday. She's lost weight I can see. Her vet was a bit concerned about her prior kidney values (not sure which ones). I can see that this could possibly be Hyper T or a kidney issue. AAAGH. Of course I'm very worried and anxious. And getting her in her carrier and out the door is like torturing her, she goes completely berserk and yells all the way to the vet and back.

Cross your fingers it's a treatable, identifiable thing. Thanks for keeping up with me.

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cookie is back to upchucking. I'm going to stop the Miralax in case that might be part of the problem. We will finally get to the vet next week for blood tests: Free T4 - see if she is hyperthyroid + other tests. Cookie gets hysterical in her carrier going out. I'm going to try a tiny bit of Gabapentin on her to see if that can help in a less drastic way than tranquilizers.

Can anyone suggest a good brand of Organic Psyllium to add to Cookie's food. She needs something for constipation and Psyllium might be better tolerated than Miralax. There are 2 kinds of Psyllium - husk and powder. I have no idea which is best or what brand would be purest. I'll sprinkle a tiny bit in a bit of it in water and add to her food.

Final Xmas Card 2018 Girl and Cat.jpg
Cookie Bookcse 10-2019_1101.JPG
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays Everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I decided to first try some probiotics for her. They are supposed to calm the gut and other good things including help for constipation. Here's the page I used to decide which one to order -- I think this may be the answer!!! She said hopefully. 💙

The Spruce Pets
The 6 Best Probiotics for Cats of 2021
The 6 Best Probiotics for Cats of 2021
I ordered
Pet Ultimates Probiotics Cat Supplement, 1.55-oz jar, slide 1 of 6
Pet Ultimates Probiotics Cat Supplement

Crossing my fingers!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has she seen the vet yet? I thought that would have been a week ago or so??? What happened? I am not sure how anyone will know how to respond until we know what went on with the vet visit.

deeebeeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet next week. There have been reasons for delaying and taking a wait and see approach.

Last edited: