Can't believe Dexter is gone

pixeldexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 6 months ago, 13-year old Dexter was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. A cruel, relentless disease that eventually left him powerless to fight for breath. On Friday, November 25, he was brought in to the vet to have a fluid tap performed, withthe goal to drain some of the accumulation of fluid backing up around his lungs. He responded well to the first tap about 3 months ago, but over the course of a couple of months, he labored again to breathe, to sleep and play. And this time around, the procedure was halted when the doctor gave me the terrible news that the liquid had turned to a thick viscous state that could not be extracted. :(

My husband and I knew what this meant, knew that we suddenly had to make the difficult but noble decision to help Dexter do what he could not, and end his suffering. We stayed with him until the end, stroking and telling him we are right here, and to go sleep now. As the life from his little body left him, and heard the doctor whisper, "He's gone", we wept and pet Dexter for a final time. We left the vet in a state of shock and disbelief, a surreal moment to say the least.

Dexter is the most curious, unique of personalities and everybody who met him fell in love with his quirky dog-like behavior! He and my 14 year old cat Pixel, a calico, were the center of me and my husband's lives. Pixel has overcome a few hardships of her own, and we manage her Stage 1 kidney failure very closely. She will surely miss Dexter's presence, I watch her now look throughout the house for him.

During these depressing and sad times, my heart aches and I'm already missing the companionship that two kitties give. I want to open my heart and home to one or two new kittens who need a home or saving. Is it too soon? I've never lost a pet before and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this hole in my heart.

Final moments where I could not bear watching him suffer:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your darling Dexter...what a beautiful boy...that darling face [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Dexter made his Crossing across the Rainbow Bridge surrounded by the comfort of those who loved and cared for him for 13 years. Dexter is free from pain and suffering now and yes, it was the greatest act of love you could do by helping to ease that suffering. You truly put Dexter's needs before yours. Take good care of Pixel as she will be grieving the loss of her friend. Dexter is at peace now. Please take comfort in knowing he is running free and happy and healthy.
I truly believe that you and your husband will know when you are ready to add a new little one to your family. Like so many things in life, we all deal with things in our own way and in our own timeframe. I think that adopting a new kitty, when you are ready, would be a lovely way to honor Dexter.
[emoji]128149[/emoji]RIP sweet Dexter[emoji]128149[/emoji]

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our sweet babies would be honored to share our hearts with another little deserving soul, to pass on their legacy of love is the highest form of love you can give. The love is never the same, what we shared with those who have passed will never be replicated. But like a mother with many children, our hearts are big enough to have many loves, each unique and so rewarding on it's own. Dexter will be bonded to your soul for eternity, use that bond and your precious memories to bring you comfort. Use the distraction and happiness a new love can bring to ease the pain of a broken heart. Remember that your older girl will not play like a kitten, although she will also be distracted and enjoy the antics of a little one. Two would be perfect, they would play with each other and leave your older girl to monitor and teach them the ways of the family. You will be blessed for opening your heart and your home to those who so desperately need love, and Dexter will be honored to have you pass on his legacy, take care and keep us posted!   RIP Dexter, you will never be forgotten, and will always be held in a loving heart!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry that this happened to Dexter and your family, he was a sweet looking boy, but he is no longer suffering or in pain. But it hurts IMMENSELY when we lose them, but he had a wonderful life with you, you should be commended for taking such good care of him. It NEVER feels like it is enough time with them, no matter how many years we have them.

Your heart will tell you when the time is right to take in another kitty, your instincts will let you know. Sometimes it is better to wait until we are ready, sometimes getting one right away is the right thing, but only you can make that decision, and your heart will let you know. Right now, you all need to let this settle and heal a bit, so sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace and play at the Bridge, Dexter.....

God Bless.....

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dexter was a beautiful boy, I am so sorry for your loss. I think that saving another kitty would be a beautiful tribute to Dexter. Dexter legacy would live on, and I think that will make him purr with happiness.

Dexter you will always be loved and missed 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During these depressing and sad times, my heart aches and I'm already missing the companionship that two kitties give. I want to open my heart and home to one or two new kittens who need a home or saving. Is it too soon? I've never lost a pet before and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this hole in my heart
So sorry for your loss. It's not too soon to adopt new kittens. I just know there are two little kitties in a shelter somewhere just waiting for you.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to hear about Dexter.  He was lucky to have been cared for by people who loved him enough to do the right thing for him, even though it was breaking your hearts.  

I thought it would take a long time to want to adopt again after I lost my first cat but three weeks later, I was at the SPCA picking up two kittens.  You'll know when the right time for you.   

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dexter, what a handsome gentleman.  I am so sorry for you and your husband's loss.  I will keep you in my prayers. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixeldexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone for your outpouring of compassion and love.

I am doing a little better but there is always the routine things that make me sad and remind me how much I miss my Dexter.

I dug up some really cute photos of him as a kitten. Look how darling he was!!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Dexter. What a beautiful kitty! So sweet looking! These sweet kitties come into our lives and own our hearts. It is so devastating when they must leave us. The pain can be so unbearable at times. Just know that Dexter loved you and knew how much he was loved as well. He will be with you always. The love you two shared could never die. Dexter would be honored if you adopted another kitty and gave that new kitty all the love that you always shown him. I feel that having a new kitty to love can help our heart heal. We will never forget our kitties that have passed, but our hearts are big enough to love another. Your sweet Dexter will always have his own special place in your heart, and a new kitty will have his own place as well. Believe me, your Dexter will be smiling down on you as you welcome a new kitty into your home and heart.
RIP Precious Dexter!
You were loved more than you could ever know and missed so very much!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! We never have enough time, do we?

I adopted 3 cats 8 days after my one and only soul kitty was put to sleep because the house was too quiet and I love cats. In my case, it wasn't too soon because it was just me at home. You'll know when the time is right, and how wonderful of you to look into opening your home to new love!