Canned vs Dry

fsttrk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seriously check out that petsmart food calculator thing that tuxedokitties suggested! It reduces the amount of poop too! as well as being better for the cats nutrition wise. I just today, bought my first bag of Max Cat Lite by Nutro that cost 24 bucks!!!!!
But you just don't have to feed them as much.

Getting back to your original question...Cat out in the wild would eat all kinds of animals, and they would eat the WHOLE animal, bones skull, all of it. Thier teeth are narurally designed to crunch bone, and dry food is nothing compared to that. About the tartar, I believe it all depends on each cat. How good they lick and clean their mouth by swallowing after they eat and how they eat. I would imagine that the best thing to do is feed them wet food in the morning, (and it doesn't have to be alot), and free feed them dry all day if they arn't overweight. The carbs in the food help with the digestion if it's the right kind of carbs, like found in the high end foods.

As for the protien being higher in canned food....look at the analysis on the canned vs. the dry food. It is usually 3x higher in the dry.
Sorry for the long post! Got carried away!

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by fsttrk
As for the protien being higher in canned food....look at the analysis on the canned vs. the dry food. It is usually 3x higher in the dry.
You must compare on a dry matter basis to compare canned vs. dry accurately. Canned food does have higher protein than dry. The most accurate way that I have found is to compare on a grams/100 kcal basis. Calories directly affect the amount of nutrients that are actually consumed.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patches won't touch canned food - she's been eating dry
food all of her life

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitties eat both, I've read that feeding canned only can lead to tartar build up where as chewing the kibble helps to knock off some of the tartar. They each get 1/2 cup (sometimes a little more) of dry food a day and they split a 3 oz can of wet food. I also bursh their teeth, I try to do it once a week but sometimes I forget.