Canned "people" Chicken - Just Curious

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every time I've opened an expensive can of Tiki Cat or Weruva Chicken, I've thought about the tins of chicken that are packed for humans.  I never bought any but I did price them and you can get them for $.98 (maybe even cheaper).  I know they don't have the cat vitamins and taurine, but I suppose they can be added.  Are they really unsuitable/more expensive?

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have fed that. Just watch the salt percentage. I have fed baby food too. I mix it up since none of my cats will eat raw. and only two or four(depending on their day) who will eat cooked chicken meat. Canned cat food I think has those vitamin things that cats need. I have bought the minerals to put in their food. But I kept forgeting, so I haven't bought anymore.
Some of my cats perfere dry food and don't like any of the above things. I have nine. so its like nine kids. Hard to please everyone

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Every time I've opened an expensive can of Tiki Cat or Weruva Chicken, I've thought about the tins of chicken that are packed for humans.  I never bought any but I did price them and you can get them for $.98 (maybe even cheaper).  I know they don't have the cat vitamins and taurine, but I suppose they can be added.  Are they really unsuitable/more expensive?
They definitely are not nutritionally complete for your cat.  They will do every once in awhile as a treat, but that's about it.  They are lacking in not only Taurine, but also in calcium and other necessities.  (it's ok to feed up to 15% of their diet unbalanced without any repercussions, but no higher or you could cause health issues)

Whenever I open up a can of  Tiki or Weruva or even Soulistic chicken, I'm like you,though, and think it appears to be just like the "people" chicken.  Seems good enough to eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  I guess I was wondering if there was a magic "kitty vitamin pill" that you could add or something like that.  I guess it's not that simple.  Well, I'm glad I asked!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are supplements you can add to cooked food that make it nutritionally complete. Check out the Cooked cat food resources thread at the top of the Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food forum. The issue really is the salt content. Most canned chicken will be too high in sodium.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  I guess I was wondering if there was a magic "kitty vitamin pill" that you could add or something like that.  I guess it's not that simple.  Well, I'm glad I asked!
Something to add to plain cooked chicken to balance it? There is! You'll find several products in the raw and home-cooked forum stickies.