Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?

lovecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These cause loose stool/gas I'm my cat. He loves his AM canned food, but it is almost impossible to find canned food with out one or the other.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Lovecat!

Nature's Logic canned food products have none of the usual additives in their foods, and no synthetic vitamins or minerals either, so you might give them a try. Or you could feed any of the commercial raw foods - none of them have any of these type additives (mostly because carrageenan and guar gum are there just to change the consistency of the food and have no nutritional benefits) and most have no additives at all.

Good luck!!

AC

odinsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten seems to have the same issues with carrageenan and guar gum (and also foods with a lot of fish).  Here are the canned foods I've found that do not have carrageenan or guar gum:

Nature's Logic - All canned formulas

Nature's Variety - All "Instinct" formulas

Fromm "Four Star" Grain-Free

Newman's Own Organics Grain-Free Canned Cat Food - All "grain-free" varieties

Note: The "Newman's Own Organics" non grain-free formulas DO have both carrageenan and guar gum

Tiki Cat (select formulas):

Hawaiian Grill (Ahi Tuna)
Puka Puka Luau (Chicken in Chicken Consomme)
Koolina Luau (Chicken w/ Egg in Chicken Consomme)
Hanalei Luau (Wild Salmon in Salmon Consomme)
Napili Luau (Wild Salmon & Chicken in Chicken Consomme)
Hookena Luau (Ahi Tuna & Chicken in Chicken Consomme)
Papeekeo Luau (Ahi Tuna & Mackerel in Tuna Consomme)
Manana Luau (Ahí Tuna w/ Tiger Prawns in Tuna Consomme)
Hana Luau (Ahi Tuna w/ Crab in Tuna Consomme)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hard to find - most do contain Guar gum and/or Carrageenan.. but they are out there.

To add to the above recommendations...

the Weruva - Cat's In The Kitchen pouches - do not contain either.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These likely all have guar gum in them though (haven't checked). Are you sure it's the carrageenan and/or guar gum that's the problem and not some other common ingredient? Either way, AC's recommendation to go raw would be the best option.
Weruva does not use guar gum.

Whether carrageenan and guar gum are the culprits or not, they should both be avoided anyway. Carrageenan is a carcinogen and guar gum is a plant cats have no use for.

Raw food is good for many reasons, not just the poop.

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you guys help me compile a list of carrageenan free wet cat food...? I had never known the risks to carrageenan (the recent thread about it is the first I've heard).
I don't know about you guys but its making me frustrated as to what foods are ok to feed my cat. I get why people switch to raw in these situations... arg!

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you yet again Carolina. I don't like all the veggies in Spots Stew but I'm thinking that's better then A. Dehydration and B. carrageenan!
Has anyone tried Spots Stew wet cat food?

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This weekend I will be heading to our local stores and shopping for the brands mentioned. I know I have access to the canned Wellness but I don't know about pouches (is there a huge price difference?) and I know I can find Spots Stew at PetSmart. I'll also look into the Tiki Cat chicken formulas and see if they have them or just the fish (which I can use because my cat throws up fish).... but someone from Ontario said that the chicken formulas will definitely be in Canada in December so I will look into that as well.
Does Fancy Feast have carrgeenan?

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just picked up a few cans of Great Life Essentials at my local pet store today - I hadn't heard of it before but it's grain and potato free, and it does not contain carrageenan, though it does contain guar gum. This was for the WESTERN MEDLEY flavor (beef / buffalo). I don't know if it's the same for all flavors or not. It DOES have fruit in it, though, so I'm not sure what the carb content is on it? My cat liked it anyway. Also the can says that the beef is free range.

http://www.wholelifepets.com/Great-Life-Canned-Cat-Food-p/gl060.htm

Personally some of the cans I get have carrageenan in them, though lower down on the ingredient list, and others don't so I figure if I am rotating cans then my cat should not be getting too much of it in any given week.

Last edited:

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so-- the lesser of two evils between guar gum and carrageenan is definitely guar gum. How do you feed foods without carrageenan? From what I've seen Fancy Feast doesn't have carrageenan BUT who knows where they source their meat and they are Purina (bad recall history). Found a food my cat LOVES (Merrick Turducken) and it has carrageenan. Wellness also has carrageenan. Natures Variety Instinct doesn't have carrageenan but it has the clay and it is also VERY pricey here.
How high is the risk of carrageenan causing (or provoking) cancer?? Would it be safer to feed Fancy Feast (blech)? I have read all of the suggestions for carrageenan free canned foods but they are either much to expensive or my cat hates them!! I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.
I would LOVE to try raw but I am scared A. I will screw it up and not give him enough (or too much) of something B. I will, yet again, exacerbate his constipation issues (to give a quick explanation-- he has had constipation since I adopted him 2.5 years ago. I mean constipation to the point that he bled every time he had a BM) C. The pathogens/bacterias (I have two young kids and one who still puts everything in her mouth...
IM GOING CRAZY, NEED ADVICE!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to try raw but I am scared A. I will screw it up and not give him enough (or too much) of something B. I will, yet again, exacerbate his constipation issues (to give a quick explanation-- he has had constipation since I adopted him 2.5 years ago. I mean constipation to the point that he bled every time he had a BM) C. The pathogens/bacterias (I have two young kids and one who still puts everything in her mouth...
IM GOING CRAZY, NEED ADVICE!!!!
Bluebo, there is a GREAT company of commercial raw in Canada, Called Carnivora :bigthumb: I SO wish they were here when I was feeding ground - their meat is great :nod:
There is another one Natural Instict, with calcium instead of bones... also in Canada :nod:
The constipation issues happened in the past because he was eating only chicken wings.... As we addressed it before, it was not because of "raw" per se, but because of way too much bone in his diet.
I understand you tried offering plain meat and at the time he wouldn't eat..... However now that he is eating canned food, you can transition him safely to a balanced ground raw meat, where he will do just fine :nod:
It wouldn't happen with commercial raw as the food is balanced to the proper amount of bones :nod:

In the event you notice constipation, it can be easily fixed by adding a little amount of ground meat into the food :nod:
If he has a history of constipation, I wouldn't recommend Nature's Variety because it has too much bones..... But there are good brands there in Canada.....
If you want to try, we can help you with a slow transition - now it is going to be easy - and he will be safe.

Many many of us feed raw...... Kibbles has shown far more problems with bacteria - look at all the recalls for salmonella lately! Using good hygiene practices and paying attention to safe handling when preparing and serving the meat will keep your baby safe.
I will not lie, because Bugsy's immune system, I was freaking out in the beginning too..... But I tell you today it was all in my head - it is a safe diet, and a VERY healthy one.
If you need help, we will be glad to help you every way we can in the raw forum :hugs:
EDIT: Here is Carnivora: http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/fresh_frozen_products/index.cfm
Here is Natural Instincts: http://www.naturalinstincts.ca/

Last edited:

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bluebo, there is a GREAT company of commercial raw in Canada, Called Carnivora :bigthumb: I SO wish they were here when I was feeding ground - their meat is great :nod:
There is another one Natural Instict, with calcium instead of bones... also in Canada :nod:
The constipation issues happened in the past because he was eating only chicken wings.... As we addressed it before, it was not because of "raw" per se, but because of way too much bone in his diet.
I understand you tried offering plain meat and at the time he wouldn't eat..... However now that he is eating canned food, you can transition him safely to a balanced ground raw meat, where he will do just fine :nod:
It wouldn't happen with commercial raw as the food is balanced to the proper amount of bones :nod:
In the event you notice constipation, it can be easily fixed by adding a little amount of ground meat into the food :nod:
If he has a history of constipation, I wouldn't recommend Nature's Variety because it has too much bones..... But there are good brands there in Canada.....
If you want to try, we can help you with a slow transition - now it is going to be easy - and he will be safe.
Many many of us feed raw...... Kibbles has shown far more problems with bacteria - look at all the recalls for salmonella lately! Using good hygiene practices and paying attention to safe handling when preparing and serving the meat will keep your baby safe.
I will not lie, because Bugsy's immune system, I was freaking out in the beginning too..... But I tell you today it was all in my head - it is a safe diet, and a VERY healthy one.
If you need help, we will be glad to help you every way we can in the raw forum :hugs:
EDIT: Here is Carnivora: http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/fresh_frozen_products/index.cfm
Here is Natural Instincts: http://www.naturalinstincts.ca/
I've heard of Carnivora, pretty expensive but I might just try it. This is another local company that offers quality food-- http://www.springmeadowsnaturalpetfood.com/site_map.php
I fed it to my dog at one point, the only thing is that it is bone in (kind of scares me for my cat).
Couldn't I just feed ground meat? As long as I put a good supplement in there? Could you recommend some calcium supplements? What about taurine?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of Carnivora, pretty expensive but I might just try it. This is another local company that offers quality food-- http://www.springmeadowsnaturalpetfood.com/site_map.php
I fed it to my dog at one point, the only thing is that it is bone in (kind of scares me for my cat).
Couldn't I just feed ground meat? As long as I put a good supplement in there? Could you recommend some calcium supplements? What about taurine?
Can you open a thread in the raw forum and we go from there? We will help you with all the details..... That way we don't highjack this thread :)
EDIT - post this link there too!!! :)

Last edited: