Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

trufans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the update, I may have to rethink trying this one then.

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Think I will try this next month .. cats never cared for liver canned food but the ingredients are much better than this same product in other flavors. Of course the broth and natural ingredients could be iffy since they are unknowns of a wide range. Overall - looks very promising. Have wanted to switch since rosemary was added to Nature's Variety Instinct.... Good find. Thanks for sharing. This is no more costly than what I now buy....for 7 cats...we go through many cases a month.

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear - that has a scary sound to it considering what we already know about the food system. Thank you, I did see it was touting the "made in usa" graphic ~ but considering the package deal I might pass. The more you find out about pet foods --- after the hype [company propaganda] , the more you want to start up a new loving company yourself....not for profit but for animal welfare. 

trufans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Didn't notice - where is this product manufactured?
I sent an email this morning to Spring Naturals in regards to where their meat and other ingredients come from and if from other countries, specifically what ones. I will let you know their response.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seeing a strong consumer demand for pet food and treats made from safe sources, the Performance Pet Products introduced a line of food and treats this year under the Spring Naturals name. Ingredients come from the United States, Canada, and Western Europe with lamb coming from New Zealand.

http://www.somethingwagging.com/spring-naturals-dog-food-review-fighting-the-china-syndrome/

Spring Naturals Dinners and Treats are brought to you by Performance Pet Products, a subsidiary of American Foods Group, the fifth largest beef processing company in the United States. We are a family-owned firm that has helped nourish millions of people and companion animals since 1946. We promise that every Spring Naturals product is made from premium quality, domestically sourced ingredients right here in the US.

https://www.facebook.com/SpringNaturals/info/?tab=page_info

The FB web site says ingredients are sourced from the US while the other web site lists a few countries. Contacting the company directly is the best way to get a definite answer.

allcreatures

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tests used poligeenan instead of carrageenan. Carrageenan is not carcinogenic.  Typically, the pate style foods contain carrageenan. Unless you cook for yourself every day and don't eat processed foods, you have eaten carrageenan, and FAR worse, almost daily for your entire life. (Avoid chain restaurants and fast food if that obviously need even be mentioned.)

I am not a scientist, vet or a nutritional expert but, I have been rescuing animals for over 40 years, now retired unless extreme circumstances. I know what has "worked" and what has not just from decades of exposure to people who don't read labels and/or should not care for animals period (or human children for that matter).

Only a couple of my fuzzy pals have left my side under 20 years old and all have stayed happy and healthy until their final days. I try to stay with single protein and ALWAYS avoid all fish and shellfish. I am far more concerned about the iodine and mercury in the pet food grade aquatic ingredients than the carrageenan or guar. Beef is another ingredient that is not recommended especially for cats due to thyroid issues. Poultry is our go to; chicken, quail, turkey, pheasant, squab etc. Gator meat is excellent for cats (and humans) and so is squirrel but, no canned food I know of with a squirrel or gator on the label! Get a hold of your nearest fan-boater, we do! Fresh wild gator is the healthiest meat available. Highest in Omega 3's of all meats and very low, minuscule, fat. Gator is a great cat treat and occasional supplement. Our vet told us to avoid feeding pork to cats so, we don't. Raw wild boar pieces on rare occasion he said was okay and how they LOVE it. 

Feeding our indoor purrballs a healthy diet on a VERY tight budget is challenging at best. Free feeding a decent dry food like Kats & Flocken but, spending <$100 a month on wet food is about as low cost as you can get. We will sacrifice our grocery list before we would our animals.

We currently care for a 21 year old rescue here and he has the all to common hyperthyroid. We have had him for ~12 years. He gets 7.5 mg Methimazole daily and is as normal as normal can be now but, as a rescue, we don't know what he ate in the past, probably Friskies or some other garbage unfortunately. He made quite the turn around however and is on my lap right now.

Excessive gurgles in the tummy & flatulence seems to us, to be caused by grains and/or sugars fermenting. Since we have been feeding shredded foods like Daves shredded chicken wet food, we have eliminated the excessive "air biscuits" and the cats love the diet. There is no carrageenan in the shredded style of Daves and it is only $1.09 a 5.5 oz can and our local store has a constant $5 off $30 purchase coupon. So, we are under $120 a month for dry and wet (3 cans daily) which is pretty good. We are considering going to the restricted diet type of Daves for our cats >20 years. They also love nutritional yeast sprinkled on top of their food from time to time.

All said and done, we have in the past fed cats (for their entire lives) daily for decades on foods that contained carrageenan and guar and none ever had cancer or health issues and all left us from just old age outside of a couple FIP & FLV rescues. Luck, love or both? Whatever, we will take it. Would they have lived to 25, 27 or 30 if we did not feed foods that contain these ingredients? Well, we did not have the option back then, outside of the best choice, fresh poultry so, we will never know

With all the food modern choices we have, it is easy now a days to find quality food and the internet has provided a great place to research such.

It seems though that only a select few of us care enough to feed their animals quality food let alone themselves. Yeah you, at the drive through!

Fresh air, sunshine, physical and mental exercise and fresh pure water are all just as important as diet so, just as with us, lifestyle has a direct impact on health and longevity. Build a screened in kitty porch no matter how small, get some teasers, a laser, wrap a scrap wood with some old rope, flip some rugs over, turn off the TV, have a glass of wine and play with your family! That's our opinion and we're stickin' to it!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought a pack of 24 blue buffalo basics that has carrageenan. Not at the bottom of the ingredients. Wellness is now safe of that