canned food size change?? reusable lids won't fit

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Within the last ~5 years, has the dimensions of the Fancy Feast (small) and Friskies (large) cans changed at all? I ask because for years I was using plastic one-size-fits-most lids with 3 size options and they snapped on just fine, perfect tightness to remove easily but also make a moisture seal.

My cat passed on, and I have started feeding ferals. The same lids won't fit, or at least take a lot of effort to get on and then will be stuck on unless you really tug at them. They are also just slightly too small for a 13oz can from another brand.

The size change seems to be about 1 or 2 millimeters which is just enough to be unusable.

Anyone else noticing this? or have my plastic lids just...shrunk? :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Funny you should mention this, I thought it was just me. 😉 I recently tried to switch our cat to a different type of wet food so started with the smallest size can. Like you, I have the plastic lids with 3 sizes but the smallest one would not fit no matter how hard I tried. So in answer to your question, yes, they must have shrunk or the can size changed. :dunno:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have only been using these lids for about 3 years. But, some fit better than others. Some fit way too tight, and others a bit too loose, IMO. The only thing I would know to do is go to pet stores, grocery stores, and/or places like Walmart, and take the lids they sell and put them on the type of cans they are also selling that matches what cans/brands you are buying to ensure you get a good fit.

And, perhaps, after so long, you have to do it again (and, again??).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The three-size lids don't fit the 3 oz Rawz cans. I thought I was just getting the wrong lids. But the animal hospital couldn't find a lid to fit the cans either. They sent home her cans with surgical gloves stretched over the tops. 🤦‍♂️ 😸

I empty the cans into Talenti Gelato containers rather than mess with lids that don't fit.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only cap I have found that fits Weruva cans is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-26124-Kitty-Colors-Vary/dp/B000084E66 I bought it at the pet store a long time ago. It also fits the 5.5 oz Rawz cans.
I think I have that cap. I don't have issues with the 5.5. It's the 3 oz size that seems too small for those lids. In a pinch, I have empty 5.5 cans that I can put a 3 oz inside the 5.5 and use a regular lid to seal that up. But mostly I'm mixing two different 3 oz'ers together and putting them into a washed out gelato container with a screw cap.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use separate smaller caps for 3 oz cans, a Petco brand one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm convinced they shrunk :lol:
Tonight I forced them onto 5.5oz cans and left them there. Hopefully, like a shoe, or a hat, they'll stretch. :lol:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve started using “silicone stretch lids” to cover cans because I had the same problem a while back with the plastic ones not fitting. They’re basically the same except stretchy so they’ll still fit slightly different sized cans. I got mine at the dollar store but I’m sure somewhere like amazon or target sells them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve started using “silicone stretch lids” to cover cans because I had the same problem a while back with the plastic ones not fitting.
Yes! One day I will buy some of those...

BUT good news. After letting the one-size-fits-most plastic lids sit on a 5.5oz can, they now fit just fine. They actually DID 'shrink' and just needed to be stretched out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
BUT good news. After letting the one-size-fits-most plastic lids sit on a 5.5oz can, they now fit just fine. They actually DID 'shrink' and just needed to be stretched out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, I'll have to try that. :thumbsup:

I’ve started using “silicone stretch lids” to cover cans because I had the same problem a while back with the plastic ones not fitting. They’re basically the same except stretchy so they’ll still fit slightly different sized cans. I got mine at the dollar store but I’m sure somewhere like amazon or target sells them!
That's good to know, we have plenty of dollar stores nearby so I'll check the next time I go.