Canned & Cooked

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! It's me again.

I've been reading and trying to figure out the best diet for my kitty. This means not only that he gets all the nutrients that he needs but also that I can actually sustain it (time and money wise).

I live in Argentina and there are fewer options of canned food. I have found ONE OPTION that I can afford but since my kitty weighs 6kg (about 13,2lbs) I would need two cans per day. I can't afford two cans a day so I was wondering if one can plus chicken would suffice as far as the supplements in the can goes. I mean he would still get the taurine and all of that from the can, right?

He's 10 years old and his last ultrasound showed Chronic Kidney Disease. I know this is because of dry food so I will not give him that ever again. My boyfriend says that urinary dry food can be good but after thoroghly reading catinfo.org, I doubt that's the case.

So, let's say I give him one can of food (85grs). How do I know how much chicken I should feed him?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Nat. Thanks for posting. What is your cat's name?

You are right about kibble. My first cat would not even sniff wet food her whoe life and lost a battle against CRF at age 12. I wish I knew in 1994 cats need wet food. Your boyfriend is literally dead wrong about dry "urinary" food being a good diea - if it's dry, it's not urinary food, no matter what words are on the label.

Are you talking about 3 ounce cans? One 5.5 ounce can is enough for 10-uear old cats and most pet food companies make cans that size. Which cat food is it? I am not a fan of fish for cats with CRF (see the "Why is seafood bad for cats?" thread).

CRF is diagnosed with a blood test. What was the ultrasound for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Nat. Thanks for posting. What is your cat's name?

You are right about kibble. My first cat would not even sniff wet food her whoe life and lost a battle against CRF at age 12. I wish I knew in 1994 cats need wet food. Your boyfriend is literally dead wrong about dry "urinary" food being a good diea - if it's dry, it's not urinary food, no matter what words are on the label.

Are you talking about 3 ounce cans? One 5.5 ounce can is enough for 10-uear old cats and most pet food companies make cans that size. Which cat food is it? I am not a fan of fish for cats with CRF (see the "Why is seafood bad for cats?" thread).

CRF is diagnosed with a blood test. What was the ultrasound for?
Thanks for your reply! My cat's name is Gato (yup, it's cat in spanish... which is actually my native language).

I've just found one 5.5 ounce can. I've to check if he likes it. It would be a stretch money-wise. They are not made of fish, though. The brand is vitalcan; I'm almost sure it's from here.

The ultrasound was routine. Blood test came back okeyish... he's in the limit. I know there must be a way to improve it with diet.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That's weird. Usually blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine levels are elevated before kidney damage is shown on an ultrasound. But all that matters now is your cat needs a dietary overhaul because of it.

I knedw gato means cat. There is even a city in California named Los Gatos (after its first wanderikng residents, who were felines).

Check the Vitalican ingredients to make sure it has high-quiality animal protein so his kidneys will not have to work too hard. Cats with CRF can't handle meal meals and byrpoducts. And it needs a name: chicken, not poulltry; beef, not meat.

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's weird. Usually blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine levels are elevated before kidney damage is shown on an ultrasound. But all that matters now is your cat needs a dietary overhaul because of it.

I knedw gato means cat. There is even a city in California named Los Gatos (after its first wanderikng residents, who were felines).

Check the Vitalican ingredients to make sure it has high-quiality animal protein so his kidneys will not have to work too hard. Cats with CRF can't handle meal meals and byrpoducts. And it needs a name: chicken, not poulltry; beef, not meat.
Oh! I did not know that bit about beef not meat and chicken not poultry. Thanks! I've just open my first can of Vitalcan and Gato does not seem to like it :( I'll try making a pate out of it.

Blood Test results were:
Uremia 61mg/dl Normal: 15-45
Creatininemia: 1.76mg/dl Normal: <1.6

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That website should not be your only source of information about CKD. She is not a vet and knows nothing about the need for high-quialty protein instead of simply eating less of it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you heat it a little? Can you add a little warm water to it?
Is there anything else you can add to it that she likes already?