Canidae Canned Cat Food?

jenntigercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat Pumpkin suffers from both IBD as well as FLUTD. I am trying to find a better quality cat food for him. I was looking at Canidae pure elements canned and like that it doesn't have all the extras that most canned foods have in them. Those of you who have fed it to your cats how have they liked it? 

He can not have wellness or Natures Variety Instinct. Wellness has too many carbs and inflames his bladder. He ended up with pancreatitis while on the Natures Variety instinct. It was there venison variety.

Jenn

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does look like a pretty good food. The only ingredients I find objectionable are sweet potatoes, alfafa and carrageenan, but they are lower down on the ingredient list. I have not heard too much about this food on this site, and I have never fed it myself. It is really how to say how much a cat will like a food based on other cats' experiences. Taste seems to be very individual when it comes to canned food. I think your best bet is to try a can and see how your cat takes to it. Please let us know how Pumpkin reacts to it if you do try it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed Canidae's "Pure Elements" chicken/turkey/lamb formula to our previous cat when she was very, very sick and often refusing to eat -- she liked this food and did eat it. It's a pate with a fair bit of juice, which she seemed to enjoy. I would gladly feed it to our new cats if it didn't have carrageenan. (Though I'm not keen on the sweet potatoes, either, and wonder about the carbs...) A woman at a local pet food store recommended Canidae when I asked for foods that might appeal to a sick cat.

Good luck, jenntigercat -- I hope Pumpkin likes it if you try it!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that have had crystals and have been on the Royal Canin Urinary SO - canned, with the RC Urinary SO dry kibble used as treats.

They have done well on this diet.  One male being diagnosed in 2008, and one female (had to have bladder surgery to remove the crystals) in 2010.

However, I really don't like the ingredients, and I understand that they have changed the ingredients to a lesser quality of protein.

This morning - for the first time in about 6 years I gave them some of the CANIDAE[emoji]174[/emoji]  GRAIN FREE PURE ELEMENTS[emoji]174[/emoji]  FORMULA CANNED CAT FOOD (Chicken, Turkey, Lamb) and they loved it.  http://www.canidae.com/cats/grain-free/can/pure-elements-chicken-turkey-and-lamb

I've heard that when a cat is on a Veterinarian diet that it should be exclusive, otherwise the diet won't be successful in treating the crystals so I've not provided any other foods that I think have healthier ingredients.    (I'm not a good candidate for raw - the process is too overwhelming for me.)

Yes, the Canidae does have the carrageenan, but then, so does the RC I've been feeding them.  ugh

They seemed to enjoy the food - and the liquid in the food seems to be the first to be eaten.

We have a total of 12 cats living inside the house, and because of restricted diets we've had to keep them separated - so being able to feed all the cats the same food would be a great advantage, too.

Sorry for the ramble.

This may be the food that I think I would be comfortable in feeding the two that are currently on this veterinary diet (?).  I actually am feeding 3 this diet, one hasn't had a problem - but, he's in the same house "zone" as the other two, so .... . 

I wouldn't have to be jumping through hoops to get the Veterinarian approval to purchase the Royal Canin veterinarian diet.

(Note:  this cannot be called a "Prescription Diet"  - it's one of my pet peeves when someone calls a veterinarian diet a "prescription diet" although one company has Trade Marked the term "Prescription Diet".
 )

I welcome any thoughts that would either support or not support my considerations of a change of diet. When my first cat was put on this diet his Vet said it would be a diet for life - but maybe since other foods have realized the crystal problem there are other options now - such as this Canidae food (?).

<><><>

RC Urinary SO Ingredients:  Water sufficient for processing, chicken, chicken liver, pork liver, pork by-products, corn flour, fish oil, powdered cellulose, dried egg product, vegetable oil, potassium chloride, guar gum, calcium sulfate, salt, natural flavors, carrageenan, taurine, choline chloride, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, iron sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.).

Canidae Grain Free Pure Elements:  Chicken, chicken broth, turkey, lamb, turkey liver, sweet potatoes, suncured alfalfa, choline chloride, carrageenan, salt, guar gum, taurine, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, magnesium proteinate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate), vitamins (thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D2 supplement, folic acid).

This link gives their take on Urinary Tract issues:  http://www.canidae.com/pet-health-center/ask-our-veterinarian/feline-crystals/

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my personal opinion, and I am NOT an expert in feline nutrition although I'm not uninformed either, if your cat has no food allergies to anythng in the Canidae, it's a better food.  You truly cannot believe everything vets tell you about prescription diets because they are not trained well in modern day nutrition in vet school, and they are usually behind current knowledge unless they are actively following the recent changes and growing knowledge in the field.  One such vet who has taken a keen interest in feline nutrition is Dr. Lisa Pierson, and you will find a lot of information on her web site.  She continues to update her knowledge and her web site and you will learn a lot there. 

http://www.catinfo.org/

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked out Canidae at the ConsumerAffairs web site and found that they are having problems with some of the dry Canidae DOG food, but only one complaint about the Canidae Cat food (dry).  Still, it's another premium brand that Proctor & Gamble bought out (like Iams & Blue Buffalo) in 2010, so I wouldn't count on it the way we used to.  Also, may be related or not, I just gave my mama and kittens some Canidae canned food this morning and mama threw it up about an hour later and has been vomiting all day.  I finally got her to keep some Amforal down and she has stopped vomiting. I gave the kittens some Amforal also and am on my way to the vet to get some more.  (Amforal is specific for most of the pathogens found in food and stays in their gut more than being absorbed so it fights the germs where they are growing --  One kitten just vomited and the other is whiny and doesnt want to be touched, not like her at all  They haven' t been exposed to anything, only thing different was the food.  I had put some down for my other cats as well and most of them wouldn't eat it, but somebody ate some from one of the dishes, so I'll see if anyone else gets ill.

Amforol is a good thing to have on hand and use whenever you even suspect food poisoning.  [if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif]

Kanamycin Sulfate (Kantrim[emoji]174[/emoji]): Kanamycin is active against Salmonella, Shigella, Alcaligenes faecalis, E. coli, Proteus and Staphylococcus aureus, all species associated with bacterial enteric infections. Most of the dose is not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, providing bactericidal action at the site of infection.

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><![endif]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
6 hours after Amforol, mama is purring and has not vomited for 3 hours, babies are now up and playing with my speaker wires.  Nobody was interested in eating dinner yet. but they probably wil be soon.  Amforol is given every 8 hours to they'll get another dose at bedtime and another one in the morning.  It's meant for short term dosing -- we caught whatever this was right away.  I don't want to return the cans to the store because I don't want them to sell them to anyone else.  I'll definitely send some to the company and report it.  The can I fed them is still 3/4 full, was not dented or damaged in any way, and I have about 11 more.  If anyone else has the Canidae canned cat food, All Life Stages 5.5 oz. cans, batch no. marked P3FCC6190A, BESTBY62016  12:23 be very careful.  If yur cat eats it and starts vomiting, get treatment right away.  Amforol has worked on these three like a miracle so I KNOW it was the food.  Whether the entire batch is bad or not I don't know, but I will tell Petco and I will report to the manufacturer and Consumer Reports.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UPDATE:  Everyone is back to normal this morning.  They ate Friskies canned for breakfast (they always have dry available) and are active and playing.  Mama has gone back into singing songs out the window to attract lovers (yes, she's in heat, the kittens are about 6 weeks old now, still nursing but mostly eating solid food).  I have a baby gate in the open window so she can't get to the screen and rip it out.  All is well, and thank The Cat Goddess for Amforol.  I gave everyone a morning dose just to make sure we kill off the evil bug 100%, and I'll give a dose in 8 hours too, but once we are 24 hours symptom free, no reason to continue.

BTW I checked the cans of Canidae that I have.  I had fed the Chicken & Riceto mama and babies and my others before and there were no problems, and the cans of that I pulled out of the recycling bag had different BESTBY dates as well.  Of the remaining cans, 2/3 are the blue label Chicken & Rice, 1/3 are the green label All Life Stages (which includes lamb), and of those, some have different BESTBY dates, different by about a year, so obviously were not packed at the same time as the offending can.  I guess I'm lucky that the mama cat was the only one who ate any of this one (now I know why my other cats left it alone!) because being isolated and inside made it so totally obvious that the only possible cause was the food, and that I had Amforol, which is so specifically directed at bacterial food poisoning, and that it worked, thus proving the diagnosis.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenntigercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Pumpkin has not vomited on the canidae but has been very picky about eating it. I should know better about giving him a better quality food cause he just doesn't seem to care for them. He loved the canidae the first couple of days then turned his nose up to it. I have also noticed that he likes it better cold instead of at room temp. I don't know if it is because it is too soft for his taste or what. He was this way with the FF as well especially with me adding water to it. I am probably just going to switch him back to the FF since I know he likes it or at least mix a little bit in with the canidae so that he will eat it.

I visit her site regularly to look at info there.

catbarngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post -- but just came across it while researching Canidae.  Looking for a new food since I just found out that Mars will be buying out Blue Buffalo.  What a disappointment!  So now am looking at Canidae as an alternative to feed my cats.  Canidae is 100% family owned and opereated -- they even own their own manufacturing plant and don't subsidize out to sub-par plants like Diamond!  That is a huge plus in my book!  Just wanted to share -- Canidae was NOT bought out by P&G!

harriet3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Came to this site while looking for info about canidae cat food. Someone gave us a bag and most of our cats (11!) Won't eat it. The ones who did vomited afterwards. Will be looking for something else, although it seems that there are pros and cons to all of them.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Nutro Natural Choice chunky chicken loaf or chunky turkey loaf or minced chicken or sliced turkey. Most cats like it, It has no carageenan either.

kristina-marvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has eaten the canned wet food (Canidae pure) for about 6 months and the dry food (2 fish flavors) as well.  He does well on it.  He has a beautiful, healthy coat.  The canned wet food itself reminds me of ground chicken.  It's not as 'greasy' looking as compared to other wet cat foods.