Candles

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What scented candles do you all use that are safe for your cats?

I love a good candle lit bath at the end of a long week, but unfortunately my cats are perverts and will scream to be let in with me. Actually I think they just enjoy the warm steam and company, they like to nap on the bath mat while I'm in there.

So I need a nice candle that isn't harmful for them. Brand names, types of candle, ones to avoid, all suggestions are appreciated!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I avoid all things with added scent because my husband is allergic, so I can't help you with that. However, many years ago I saw my long haired cat walk by a candle and catch her tail on fire! :runaround: Fortunately, I was younger then so I managed to reach her in time to snuff out the fire with my hands before it reached skin, but I've never burned a candle around a cat again, because as far as I can tell they have no idea where their tails are until something happens to the tail (except, of course, cats who chase their tails, who apparently don't know that the tail is part of themselves). I also enjoy bathing by candlelight - it's very relaxing - but Jasmine is locked out of the bathroom when I do.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! Luckily I have a corner bath tub, so I can burn the candle on a little shelf in said corner, where the cats would have to swim to reach it 😅

But I won't leave it on the window sill anymore, and I will definitely make sure not to light a candle anywhere else in the house, especially if they can reach it.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I won't burn candles or use my wax warmers in the same areas as the cat. I only use them in my home office. I stay away from anything with paraffin wax. Even blends and try to avoid wax with the non descript "fragrance". I mostly use my essential oil diffuser.