Canadians! Get out there and vote!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calling all Canadians to exercise our freedom and right to vote. Regardless of your political persuasion, it is important to vote. If anyone does not vote, they have no right to be critical of whatever government gets in so don't let that be you!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I completely agree! We're leaving in about 10 minutes to go and vote

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I agree 100% and we'll be going after work!!
Me too! The polls are all open pretty late, and it only takes a moment.

Even if you really don't want to vote for any of the candidates, go and decline your ballot - that way you still contributed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Harper got his majority government but Layton is the official opposition rather than Ignatieff. The liberal party will now have to find a new leader as the people have spoken. I hope Ignatieff goes back to Harvard and stays in the US for good. I'm glad he was defeated because I did not want him governing my country.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Well, Harper got his majority government but Layton is the official opposition rather than Ignatieff. The liberal party will not have to find a new leader as the people have spoken. I hope Ignatieff goes back to Harvard and stays in the US for good. I'm glad he was defeated because I did not want him governing my country.
Rumour has it Goodale will take over as interim leader. He is yapping on the radio now, talking restructuring, taking a look at what went wrong, etc and wondering if they even have enough seats to retain federal status. Glad to see the back of Iggy. Also glad to see the demise of the separatist party (whoops, my western bias is showing)

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have honestly never been more disappointed in this country regarding the majority Conservative government.

Harper broke election laws today by campaigning on radio the day of the election. There better be some repercussions to that.

I know this is not IMO, perhaps I should keep my mouth shut, but this is a sad day for Canadians. Despite the fact that crime has been steadily declining for the past decade, he plans to double the the annual prison spending, he has cut advocacy for women by 42%, made tax breaks for people that can afford them, yet has done little for those that can't, he weakened pesticide regulations, etc. I could go one, but again, this is not IMO...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

I have honestly never been more disappointed in this country regarding the majority Conservative government.
Ditto! I've always voted conservative with the exception of the last 2 elections where I voted NDP!

I knew he was going to get a majority government this time because the whole coalition thing left a sour note on people and the fact that we've had how many Federal elections in the last 2 years - three? People are sick of going to the polls every 6 months to vote for the people who run our country!

Personally I thought a coalition government would have been a bang up idea when compared to what Harper has been doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

Harper broke election laws today by campaigning on radio the day of the election. There better be some repercussions to that.

I know this is not IMO, perhaps I should keep my mouth shut, but this is a sad day for Canadians. Despite the fact that crime has been steadily declining for the past decade, he plans to double the the annual prison spending, he has cut advocacy for women by 42%, made tax breaks for people that can afford them, yet has done little for those that can't, he weakened pesticide regulations, etc. I could go one, but again, this is not IMO...
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ditto! I've always voted conservative with the exception of the last 2 elections where I voted NDP!

I knew he was going to get a majority government this time because the whole coalition thing left a sour note on people and the fact that we've had how many Federal elections in the last 2 years - three? People are sick of going to the polls every 6 months to vote for the people who run our country!

Personally I thought a coalition government would have been a bang up idea when compared to what Harper has been doing!
How right you both are. I too am so so sorry that Harper got his majority. Now he will continue doing just as he pleases and to hell with what is best for the country or what we want or need. Hopefully having Layton as the official opposition will help.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

How right you both are. I too am so so sorry that Harper got his majority. Now he will continue doing just as he pleases and to hell with what is best for the country or what we want or need. Hopefully having Layton as the official opposition will help.
I'll fourth this sentiment. Personally I think it should be illegal for the man who was recently found in contempt of the government to be allowed to form the next one...
I was never fond of Iggy, but I do wish the Liberals would pick a leader and stick with them. The constant change has clearly not helped thier case.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

I'll fourth this sentiment. Personally I think it should be illegal for the man who was recently found in contempt of the government to be allowed to form the next one...
I was never fond of Iggy, but I do wish the Liberals would pick a leader and stick with them. The constant change has clearly not helped thier case.
Trudeau's son should take over as leader. I'll bet anything they would bounce back in a huge way.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Trudeau's son should take over as leader. I'll bet anything they would bounce back in a huge way.
Actually, the job goes to Ralph Goodale on an interim basis' whether Ralphie keeps it or not is up to him. As Deputy leader of what is left of the Liberal party, he must take over and organise for a new leadership campaign within the remaining party members.
I missed Ralph on the radio this morning, all I heard was him saying "that's right John" followed by the host saying a few words and Ralph saying goodbye.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let everyone know (even though there aren't many in the London area), there's a peaceful protest Friday at Victoria Park in London, ON at 6pm regarding the "Harper Government".

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just one more disgusted Canadian chiming in. I don't understand how it is that so many people don't see Harper for what he is and keep electing him. Bah!