Canada Fresh

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! The brand of wet food I was previously feeding Jem (Holistic Select) has sadly been discontinued. Right now I’m working hard to find a quality replacement that isn’t ridiculously expensive. Canada Fresh is one of the ones I am considering. It has a pretty great rating on CatFooddb, a website I generally trust - Canada Fresh Beef Formula Cat Food Review - but peas also seem pretty high on the ingredient list?

Here’s the ingredient list:Beef, beef broth, peas, tri-calcium phosphate, agar-agar, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salmon oil, choline chloride, salt, taurine, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc sulfate, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, vitamin A supplement, selenium yeast, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12, calcium iodate, folic acid.

I would love some input here!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if you were to obtain this, and keep looking for another one to add in a rotational basis that doesn't have such a reliance on peas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering if you were to obtain this, and keep looking for another one to add in a rotational basis that doesn't have such a reliance on peas?
That’s a great idea! This is the one I was thinking of rotating with, and it doesn’t have peas so maybe that will be a good option!
Vintage Moist Range Cat Food Review

Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Pork Liver, Natural Flavour, Agar-Agar, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Selenium yeast, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium D-pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid

I was also thinking about Lovibles, which are a super affordable brand here but maybe not the quality I’m looking for? There’s been one post about them on TCS but doesn’t seem to be a consensus yet. Here’s the Lovibles ingredients just in case

Water Sufficient For Processing, Liver, Meat By-products, Chicken, Poultry By-products, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Added Color, Dl-methionine, Magnesium Sulfate.

I feel like I’m getting better at looking through cat food reviews, but the ingredients lists themselves are still Greek to me so I really appreciate your help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel like I’m getting better at looking through cat food reviews, but the ingredients lists themselves are still Greek to me so I really appreciate your help!
You're doing really well I think!

I know that some people have an issue with by-products. I'm not that bothered about them. (I realize there are possibilities that the drugs from euthanized animals get into the manufactured food. A person could contact lovibles and ask them about their sources of the by-products) With that thought, you could maybe keep the lovibles as a back-up food, just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing really well I think!

I know that some people have an issue with by-products. I'm not that bothered about them. (I realize there are possibilities that the drugs from euthanized animals get into the manufactured food. A person could contact lovibles and ask them about their sources of the by-products) With that thought, you could maybe keep the lovibles as a back-up food, just in case.
Thank you so much for your kind words and your help! I will keep reaching out to lovibles about their byproducts in mind - like many people in the world right now, my schedule has cleared up a lot for the foreseeable future so maybe a day on the phone is in order.

Do you have any thoughts about the Vintage brand I mentioned above?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww holistic select was such a great brand to!
I dont have an issue with by products, but if it says meat -by products then be very wary as essentially it could be any type of meat. Even dogs, cats, and horses. Gums can be meh but its carragean you want to stay away from as that can cause stomach inflammation and GI cancer. Check out catfooddb.com for a list of tons of brands that breaks down the info :) I would say Vintage is really good cat food :)