Can you towel wrap a (very) pregnant cat?

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Picked up a new foster yesterday. She's tiny, very fat, and gorgeous (flame point siamese looking). She's lazy as sin, LOUD when she's awake, and refused to eat much of anything until right this minute. LOL! I actually though it might be a case of immanent labor but she's now snarfing food down like it will disappear so maybe not. :p

She's close to birth. Definitely less than a week if I had to guess, wouldn't be shocked if it was tonight. She's showing some serious signs of pre-labor but I just don't know her well enough to know if it's just her normal behavior or something special. She's also very very very sweet but a bit jumpy. Ex: she LOVES being pet but hides if she hears a new noise outside the room.

Anyways, my question: She desperately needs her nails clipped, but won't let me do it the easy way. Is it safe to wrap her this close to delivery so I can clip them? Or should I wait a week or two until after she gives birth and settles down with them some?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think I'd wait...unless you can get one claw done during a nap, then another claw...
I'll keep trying that! So far, no luck. She freaks a bit as soon as I touch her feet. Fortunately she's not quite the biter my last two were so the head whip is followed with head butts versus teeth! :p :D;)

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad she has you!!
I wish there wasnt a need for me to, but I am glad I am able to help.

This little girl is NOISY. LOL!! She heard me putting my son to bed and laid by the door with her feet under it just yowling away. So, we are watching our evening shows in the foster room a bit earlier today! Poor thing.

She's eating like a champ now though which is good. I always worry when they don't eat. Even if it's perfectly normal while they adjust.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - She's a bit annoyed with me right now but I got one paw done! Apparently the trick is to do it when my husband is rubbing her belly. She really likes my husband for some reason! LOL.

Attachments

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, got the other foot done! And we are either in the "cleaning out the system before birth" stage or the "wow, I haven't had this kind of food before" stage. Cameras are set up and ready to go. Now it's just a waiting game.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got a question for y'all. Momma cat is carrying the babies different than Ive seen in my limited experience. The seem to be sitting vertical on her side. It's really odd cause you can almost feel the entire kitten if she stays still and standing long enough and she doesn't have the normal whole rounded look to her. More like she has lumps on her side. It's not as pronounced when she is laying down. Is this anything to worry about? Or is it pretty normal and maybe just more obvious cause she's very petite (she is not underweight just a really small cat) and (hopefully!) the babies are a good healthy size?

Pics arent great but hopefully give a bit of an idea what I am trying to explain.

Attachments

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to relax! :)
Well...she had 4 babies between the 2 AM check-in and the 6 AM wake up time. Walked in to blood "everywhere" and 4 very cold babies that weren't moving or crying and a momma had little to no interest in them. <<sigh>>

Called hubby in and we separated the 2 placentas that were still attached and got everyone better cleaned off and wrapped up together in a heating pad. Got them warmed up and into a welping box (she had them in a corner versus a box) on a heating pad and convinced momma to sit with them for about 30 seconds. Fortunately that seems to have helped kick in the maternal instincts.

She was CRANKY after that so I let her alone and she moved them to a rather inopportune spot without a heating pad. I tried to set up her spot a bit better for her but almost lost a limb so I just let it go.

The spot is 100% safe and she is now staying with them so I'm leaving them be. They are small (72-82g) but she is also very small so I'm hoping that's the cause. 3 look mostly viable, one I don't have a ton of hope for so I'm keeping fingers, toes and claws crossed.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my! Is the room they are in warm enough? Are they actively nursing mom? If not, and especially with the one you are concerned about, please syringe feed with formula. You may be able to save that kitten.

Here’s a helpful how to video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady
The room is warm enough currently. It's fortunately very warm here today and I turned the heater in the house on to full blast. I also managed to move a heating pad into the cubby she is in, next to her. She doesn't like it and refuses to lay on it though. She's probably too warm for that.

3 of the 4 are actively feeding and look pretty good all things considered. Very small but they are moving and crying. The 4th didn't make it. Momma seems to be getting more of a hang of it. She was just cleaning them for the first time so that's a relief to see. She bites them sometimes, sits on them sometimes (we go resuce them when this happens) and gets totally flustered when they move away from each other, but she seems to be sorting it out.

I think part of it is her location. She's perfectly safe but she doesn't have a ton of room to maneuver so she's kinda tripping all over herself and her babies. I can't figure out if I want to leave well enough alone for now, or if I want to try to move them to a better location tonight when I go to weigh them and hope she will leave them there this time. <<shrug>>