Can You Tell A Neutered Cat?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried googling but no answer as do male cats look different after being neutered. Sorry dont laugh. I always thought they looked ball-less lol.
But read the testies are soft and not hard afterward.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is my boy after his neutering several weeks later. The swell has gone down and the sacs are flattened and soft to the touch.

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is my boy after his neutering several weeks later. The swell has gone down and the sacs are flattened and soft to the touch.

Can't see image

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I see it now

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I felt Levi's and its soft. It is just you could still the them. They aren't flat. So always wondered if it was done or done right. :/

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When was he neutered? It takes several weeks after the surgery for the swell to go down and fur to grow back. After that it's flattened and soft to the touch. Flattened as in not 100% flat but with a little tiny wee bulge.

Do you have a photo of it?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Over a year ago. I tried to take a picture but neither him or hubby were having it.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe you can try taking another photo?

If you are concerned, you may show it to vet and ask them.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, in order to tell if a cat has been neutered, you would check if he has visible or palpable testicles. If you feel the sack on a whole male, it's generally easy to feel the testicles inside; they'll feel like rubbery marbles. On a neutered male you'll just feel a soft sack.

Here's an example of a one year old sexually mature male, so you can see what an adult male looks like if he isn't neutered. Of course the testicles can vary in size, so it's not always as obvious as this.

IMG_20181211_102111.jpg

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they are neutered they get to keep their "harbl" - Internet slang... So we always called it that. The testicles are removed from their bean bag and it's stitched back up.

Stewart was my first non-neutered male, and it took me by surprise. My boyfriend had put him in the crate since he'd just come in as a stray. I went to lift him out of the crate "let's see who we have here" and I ended up groping him accidentally just right that I let out a very loud "Whoa...oops" because we didn't know each other well yet, and I clearly ended up with a palm full of testicles.

"Um. He's definitely male." I told the boyfriend. "We've got to get him fixed."